OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question on the controller....I really just wanted the wifi part that the inkbird will give me. I do travel some and want to be able to be notified if there is an issue so I can let my housesitter know right away. Or am I wrong in my understanding of the helio system? Does it have an alerting capability?

I like your scape. I set up a 300 G2 in February 2023 but not the max version so I don't have the slide out board. Cable management has been an issue as it is on every tank I have. Fortunately I'm not too picky and we never have anyone over that even sees the mess so it's not too neat. I'm up to version 3 of cable organizing and am done. Tank is in a corner so I have all the power head controls outside of the cabinet in the corner along with the ATO container and photon power supplies. All the excess wires are stuffed behind the stand where I don't see them. I really don't think I could be in this hobby if I had OCD.
Third and final version of cable management 20240102_115035.jpg

The "corner" :face-with-hand-over-mouth: 20240102_115119.jpg
lol...the corner.

It looks pretty nice though...good job.

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great.

I don't know if you are doing this or not, but leave your lights off for the first few weeks and then ramp up.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work!

I am going through my own build with a Reefer 200 G2+.

I feel your pain with the pull-out panel. In my case it was useless because I am using the ReefDose pump and it it too thick to mount on the panel because it hits the skimmer.

Currently, I am fighting the ReefBeat app to recognize the skimmer pump. Also, trying to determine what I am going to do for an ATO. The reservoir tanks was discontinued on the 200 (nobody told me this). I dont think it would have fit anyway. Probably a 5 gallon white bucket with a lid for now.

10 miles of cable in a smaller cabinet than your 300 makes for a lot of fun!

I just ordered the ReefDose so we will see how it fits in the 300..I think it will fit.

I had some issues getting the devices to be recognized and/or joining my network...for one of the waves, I had to completely remove it, do a factory reset and remove it from my network settings "Forget this network". That allowed it to be found again and I was able to continue. Not sure if that helps or not.

I did do some minor management today and I was able to get things looking a bit better until I get the larger pull out panel delivered (they sent me the small one instead of the larger one). Things are not permanent in any way in fact, they are literally just hanging on the panel for now.

It made me feel a little better...at least for now. :)

Attachments

• IMG_7518.jpeg
    IMG_7518.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great.

I don't know if you are doing this or not, but leave your lights off for the first few weeks and then ramp up.
Yes, thank you for this. I wasn't sure and the first few days I had them on but after doing some reading I saw that most suggest leaving them off. They have an acclimation feature so I'll put that on after a few weeks.

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thank you for this. I wasn't sure and the first few days I had them on but after doing some reading I saw that most suggest leaving them off. They have an acclimation feature so I'll put that on after a few weeks.
I'm just getting back into the hobby after about a 10 year hiatus. Back then it was live rock. Now it is predominantly dry rock. I never knew about biome cycle as everything just "happened" with live rock. Now there is more of a chance of algae and the light will just fuel it until the tank balances out.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I agree that I wouldn’t like the rocks against the back, I think your rockscape looks great!

Personally, I wouldn’t mortar because, inevitably, I would want/really need to move something.

I’ve used small dabs of silicone in troublesome spots which seemed to work out well.
When I had to move something, it wasn’t impossible to pull things apart.

Those cables are giving me a headache from here! Haha
I fixed them up a bit yesterday....nothing permanent as I'm still waiting on some equipment (doser, cabinet lights, ato (but I think that will just go nicely next to tank).

Attachments

• IMG_7521.jpeg
    IMG_7521.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 67

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the ReefDose so we will see how it fits in the 300..I think it will fit.

I had some issues getting the devices to be recognized and/or joining my network...for one of the waves, I had to completely remove it, do a factory reset and remove it from my network settings "Forget this network". That allowed it to be found again and I was able to continue. Not sure if that helps or not.

I did do some minor management today and I was able to get things looking a bit better until I get the larger pull out panel delivered (they sent me the small one instead of the larger one). Things are not permanent in any way in fact, they are literally just hanging on the panel for now.

It made me feel a little better...at least for now. :)
I've used my Reefdose for 2 years now. Works flawlessly with great connectivity to Reefbeat app. Easy set up and very compact. Sits atop my ATO reservoir.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I'm following this thread as this is the exact tank I keep gravitating to. I was trying to find a way to fit a larger tank in my chosen spot but ultimately this is the size I'll be going with due to space constraints. Zip ties will be your friend with alot of those cables. That is definitely a jumble of clutter that needs to be dealt with, it would drive me nuts.

Did your Red Sea ATO not come with a reservoir? I was watching a video where someone was complaining the one they had was too small.
Yes, mine did not come with a reservoir. I did in fact purchase the acrylic thin version from Advanced Acrylics. I plan on keeping it next to my tank..it looks nice and sleek so I'm ok with it being outside the cabinet.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pass at a temporary solution...waiting on Red Sea to ship me the larger control panel that is supposed to go with my build. Until then, this will do for now.
IMG_7521.jpeg

Still dialing in the equipment and testing water daily to check parameters. Won't be adding fish for a few weeks.

Still reading and watching everything and anything I can get find.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my next build I am going to use these to hold up all my PSU's What is nice is they offer ones that hold multiples.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I feel like I accomplished something this morning. I installed the cabinet led lights. They auto turn on/off when I open the cabinet. Making my life much easier when I'm down there. It's the little things that help in so many ways.

My tank seems to be cycling well...converting ammonia (2ppm) to 0 overnight with 0 nitrites and a bit of nitrate.

I won't be adding fish for 2 weeks as I'm going out of town and don't want to leave them here with my husband. LOL...I have promised him very little interaction on his part other than maybe giving some input on the fish he likes. That was our deal and I'm trying my best to to abide by it. I'm hoping once he has his own fish and/or corals and names them that ***maybe*** he will be a bit more excited about my hobby. If not, no worries either...I get it, it's not for everyone. IMG_7544.jpeg IMG_7543.jpeg IMG_7545.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7542.MOV
    18.2 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a LFS yesterday to see this tank in person. I really like it, you've got a great tank there. I'm kind of weighing the pros and cons between this and an E-170 but I'll save that for my own thread so as not to hijack this one.
I would say if you have the room go for this tank as it has more space. Just make sure to factor in things like space for an external ATO (in case you don't want to try and fit one in the cabinet), etc.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the cabinet led lights. They auto turn on/off when I open the cabinet. Making my life much easier when I'm down there
Could you share the lights you used? I just put motion detector leds on the outside of our house over the weekend and commented to my Gal how nice it would be to have something like that in the stands. Not necessarily motion activated but something that would come on when the door is opened.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if you have the room go for this tank as it has more space. Just make sure to factor in things like space for an external ATO (in case you don't want to try and fit one in the cabinet), etc.
@WonkyWapiti I agree with Jenyphur. I currently run a 170 and a 300g2 and unless you just don't have the room I would go 300 all day long. The 170 is nice but it has no room in the cabinet and a 3ft tank vs 2ft just gives you so much more room in the display.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you share the lights you used? I just put motion detector leds on the outside of our house over the weekend and commented to my Gal how nice it would be to have something like that in the stands. Not necessarily motion activated but something that would come on when the door is opened.
OH duh! I thought I put the link in up above in the original post. I just edited it to include it but here it is just in case.

Cabinet Lighting Auto On/Off

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back