FSU1Dolfan's BioCube 29G

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecellent thread!!! Love the progression pics!!!!Your tank looks awesome!!!!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progression shots Jason, looks like your tank is coming along nicely.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello FSU-I am assuming Florida State University? I won't hold it against you if that is the case.

I am also hoping to keep a mandarin goby in a smaller than recommended tank... 45g. Could you share what your experience has been since it seems like you are doing pretty good, 2+yrs. Does he eat prepared foods? If so did you acclimate him to that or was he just interested. Have you heard anything about if the targets are easier than the reds/blues at getting to eat prepared food?

Thanks!

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello FSU-I am assuming Florida State University? I won't hold it against you if that is the case.

I am also hoping to keep a mandarin goby in a smaller than recommended tank... 45g. Could you share what your experience has been since it seems like you are doing pretty good, 2+yrs. Does he eat prepared foods? If so did you acclimate him to that or was he just interested. Have you heard anything about if the targets are easier than the reds/blues at getting to eat prepared food?

Thanks!

LOL Tabasco!! So who are you a fan of?? I gotta take my shots too :tongue:

Anyway about Mandarins - I just recently had mine pass :( I did have a very long and good run with Oliver but unfortunately he started to thin out and was eating less. I am not sure if it was a parasite, disease, or just lack of something. I got him from a LFS that specifically gets mandarins that eat prepared foods. I am always see all of them eating and made sure before i got him that he did in fact eat prepared foods. Frozen Brine shrimp was his choice of food and i also added, every other week, a bottle of pods to feed the tank. He was plump and happy for so long but they are a lot of work. When you feed all pumps must be off and you need to keep other fish entertained while you feed. My turkey baster would feed my other fish on one side and then i would move back to the other side and drop a bunch for Oliver so he could eat. The mandarins are sooooo slow it was the only way to do it. Due to this my nutrients were always high and extra water changes were necessary.

Not trying to scare you away from it but just be ready for the challenge. If i could change one thing it would be to have one that ate mysis too. Brine shrimp are pretty low of food quality, kind of like fast food. But i always had plenty of pods for him too. Mysis would have made me feel better but no matter how i presented it, he just wouldn't eat it.

As for reds/blues or targets eating prepared foods easier, i think it depends where they come from honestly. If you can, i would do it locally so you can actually watch their behavior, see if the eat prepared foods, and see healthy the fish is.
Hope this helps some!!

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

So i did a little cleaning up and fragging a few days ago and snagged a couple pics. Nothing major but it is my first time fragging sps. I have done zoas before but i dont think it was proper they way i did it! Anyway things are good and i cant wait to frag some more including my chalice! I am still researching the best methods for chalice fragging. Well here are a few pics.

The one with the big tile has been traded and was encrusting a base already. The other 3 are only a couple days old and doing well! The zoa is a candy apple red.
34113.jpg

3411.jpg

34112.jpg

34111.jpg

Close up of the Bonsai!!!
34114.jpg

And a top down just for fun!!!

34115x.jpg

What ya think!!!!

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progression shots are nice. i think the tank has gotten better with age. keep up the nice work.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progression shots are nice. i think the tank has gotten better with age. keep up the nice work.

Thanks alot...i am just happy that i am finally starting to get some really good shots from my D3100. I cant wait to get a macro lens!!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, found it! haha. I swear it wasn't in my history before. ;) Thanks for the info on the mandarin. I REALLY love those fish, would love to keep a pair as I think the nightly spawnings will help feed the coral. Don't really know as I have never actually had a reef tank and this will be my first go at it. Those are a ways off but love to get info on them when I can.

BTW-what is the pink/green skirt zoa in the background of the 1st pic? Those are sweet!

My team is VT... still bitter about the championship loss in 2000 or was that 1999? I'll probabably be able to let it go soon though.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas are in the last picture too, alot clearer. Didnt' notice them at first. Are they whammin watermelons?

Yeah those are whammin watermelons...they have some relly nice color!! VT fan huh. Yeah i dig the hokies mostly because we beat them LOL But yes the 1999 championship game was amazing when you guys have Vick. Looks like we will have some fun come college football season.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love college ball. Vick was awesome to watch play, he could just pull the craziest stuff out. I was at a game one time and he got hit right on the goal line and did a sommersalt into the endzone. Sprained his ankle doing it, but it was amazing. Still enjoy watching him, it was sad all the dog stuff, I disowned him for a while. I am impressed that he made a comeback... didn't think that was going to happen at all... so I will give that to him.

The WW's are really sweet and yours look great. I am pretty sure that is going to be on my initial coral stocking list.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love college ball. Vick was awesome to watch play, he could just pull the craziest stuff out. I was at a game one time and he got hit right on the goal line and did a sommersalt into the endzone. Sprained his ankle doing it, but it was amazing. Still enjoy watching him, it was sad all the dog stuff, I disowned him for a while. I am impressed that he made a comeback... didn't think that was going to happen at all... so I will give that to him.

The WW's are really sweet and yours look great. I am pretty sure that is going to be on my initial coral stocking list.

Yeah i was in college at that time and enjoyed watching Vick too...i had a feeling we were going to meet up in the Championship game. I was a freshman at the time...could you imagine, it was my first year, we go wire to wire in 1st place, and win the championship....nothing like going to games at the Doak!! After that everything was a let down LOL but at least i can say i was there for one...it was sick!!

Yeah the Vick dog stuff was very sad but i have been enjoying his path to redemption. He seems very genuine in his mistake and it's nice to see him doing so well on the football field too! Are you an NFL fan too?? Any particular team?? Obviously i am a Dolphins fan LOL

As for the whammin watermelons, i agree you should start with some of them. They are very hearty, grow quick, and look great!!

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!!! 3/14/11

Well i decided to put in an order to MrCoral...that guy has been tempting me for months know and since my tank is almost where i need it...i decided it was time. Later i will be fragging some more of my Purple Garf Bonsai and my hammer. If i have some time i will go after my chalice too...Never fragged a chalice so any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!! I have bone cutters and a dremel with diamond blade. I might try the bone cutters first and see how easy it is...thn move to dremel if necessary. Also is it necessary to dip the chalice in a lugols/saltwater solution before putting back into the tank??

Anyway here are my newest additions coming this week...can't wait!! tell me what you think.

Guru Favia
file_380_80.jpg

Dragon Soul
file_385_306.jpg

Funky Cold Medina Blasto
file_386_36.jpg

Blasto
file_386_21.jpg

Blue Bubble Gum
file_386_17.jpg

Area 51
file_385_466.jpg

Jackal Favia
file_385_408.jpg

Doomsday Chalice - one of my faves!!
file_386_8.jpg

War Coral
file_386_19.jpg

Superman mushroom - I know i said i hate mushrooms but i love these colors
file_385_411.jpg

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the remaining three of the thirteen frags that i ordered. I think i got a pretty good mix of corals and colors...really looking forward to receiving it!!

Pink eye Watermelon
file_385_303.jpg

Hulk Favia
file_355_97.jpg

Lastly Pink Bubblicious
file_385_470.jpg

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the pics were so massive before...i think i have these new ones uploaded properly.

So today was Mr. Coral Order day...13 new frags all nice and neatly boxed up. Fed-ex came through on time (Thankful after Troy's story) and i rushed home from work to acclimate. Was a fun lunch break as i finally got all the pieces on the sand. The colors are already starting to look really nice. I turned on my lights (12:00pm) while i was acclimating but, when i left (1:00pm) i turned them back off...they come back on in 5 mins...so by the time (4:30pm) i get home things should be opened up nicely. Here are some quick shots while i had salt water everywhere and sweating running around...

31511i.jpg

315111.jpg

315112.jpg

315115.jpg

315116.jpg

315118.jpg

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I got an order a few weeks ago and I see you got some of the same stuff I did.

I haven't ordered from mrcoral scenes before Christmas.
But it looks like he is still selling those 10.00 frags.
Looks like you picked up some nice one.

Thanks guys - Yeah for the price you cant beat 13 frags shipped for under $150
I went from just one nice chalice to adding 5 more...plus i love the Dragon Soul

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini Excited in Advance Update:

So i got my order in for the "Mojano Wand" last weekend....it's due in on Wednesday this week. I felt like i was waiting forever but finally has paid off. Cant wait to use it and clean up some things!! I will try to get some pics, vids, and feedback for those interested. Thanks Paul B

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back