Gabe's piece of the ocean

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a piece of that cyphastrea and the sps in last pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cyphastrea is a tyree, forgot the name, that I got from fragfarmers and that last pic is of my red planet. I love that thing it's definitely one of my favorites. You don't want anything from my tank at least not now, I just found out that I've got AEFW in addition to the red bugs I already knew about. I'm doing some research now to find out thebest way to get rid of them. The up side is now I know why some of my sps haven't been doing so good. It could only get better from here I guess.

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to try a melanarus wrasse or a yellow coris wrasse for the flat worms. You should figure out what the name of that cyphastrea is. I want to find a piece of it.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a Tyree cyphastrea decadia. When I get rid of my bugs maybe we can work out a trade.

I just got a pair of flame wrasses and am not sure how they do with other wrasses, I'll have to look it up. For the time being I will be pulling out every acro in the tank that I can and dipping and scrubbing it. I plan on doing it a few times and hopefully that will take care of them. Thats how I got rid of my monti eating nudis, but it took a while. I have to hurry and get that frag tank up, it should make it easier with all the frags in one place, at least I hope.

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if the HFW will eat the flat worms, but it wouldn't suprise me if they did. As for the trade that sounds good to me, just let me know when your ready to do it and I'll send you my coral list.

Get some more pics up.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I don't have too many toys to put together this weekend I'm going to start dipping all mycorals. I'm hoping to see some inprovement in my sps once those little buggers aren't chewing on them. Wish me luck.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had some time yesterday and decided to dip all my sps frags. I got quite a few of those suckers off my corals along with some eggs. Although I'm sure I missed some, so I'll be dipping them again and probably again. I'm already getting better PE from some of my corals but a lot of them lost color, my strawberry shortcake is brown:sad:. I think I left them in the dip too long. I'll have to plan it out a little better next time.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually kinda funny for a couple of months I've been going nuts trying to figure out what was going on with my sps. My parameters have never been as stable but still everything was looking like crap. After dipping everything (besides losing color) they are starting to come back to life. Everyday everything looks a little better. Now if I can only figure out why I'm losing some of my zoas I'd be all set.

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you've been going nuts trying to figure it out I totally understand. The last few weeks I've been losing my sanity trying to figure out what was going on with my coral. LOL

Are your zoanthids melting, or just not opening?

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas are just slowly melting away. Then they come back, then they melt away again. I've lost an entire colony that I've had in my tank for almost a year. Then I have some that are completely unaffected. I just don't get it.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been up for almost a year and the doors have been done for almost as long and I just got them hung today! I have to get used to having doors now, lol. Its funny I tend to finish things just before I get rid of them, I'll hopefully be starting a 125 build soon. Looks like I won't be getting around to making the canopy for this thing. I'll post some pics of it all finished up at last tomorrow.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been over a year since I've updated this thread so maybe it's about time, lol. During my neglect of this thread I've battled red bugs, monti eating nudis, and AEFW and beat them all. I like red bugs the best, they are easy to get rid of. I did lose most of my lps due to an over feeding induced PO4 problem. With this I've learned a huge lesson, don't have the wife feed the tank! A moment of silence for my ironman chalice, sc pink fame, pink *******, bazooka joe, tyree pink watermelon, og mummy eye, people eater favia, pandora favia, a bunch of un-named chalices and favias, several different polyps, my entire acan collection, and all the others I've missed. After that my parameters fluctuated quite a bit threatening my now browned out sps which leads me to today. I finally feel like I'm on the right track with my parameters and can see some corals improving, finally!

I set up a frag tank, here is the thread https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/propagation-packing-shipping-discussion/60304-my-new-fragment-small-part-coral.html
After the freak winter storm in Oct where we lost power for four days I was forced to remove all the corals from the frag tank because I couldn't keep the temp up. I have a couple pairs of clowns in there now.

I pulled my diy cone skimmer for some retooling which I haven't gotten around to since I picked up a skimz sk181 and it's working great. Here is a link to the skimmer build https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/50938-my-do-yourself-skimmer-so-far.html

And finally, my tank is not drilled which always bothered me and I wanted to reaquascape the tank so I picked up a reefready 75 that I will be swapping over. At this time I will be replacing my sump, adding an apex and another vortech. This is pretty much going to be a whole different setup that will hopefully start on the right track and stay there. Here is a pic of one piece of my aquascape that I made
IMG_2891.jpg

I've always liked the bonsai type scapes so I thought I'd give it a shot and see what I could come up with. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll have the tank swapped over and ready for some live stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, when I was making it I was thinking it would go on the right side of my tank but the tank I ended up with has the overflow in a spot where I couldn't aquascape the way I wanted to. I ended up putting that rock on the left but I think it would have looked better on the right. Here's a pic
IMG_6664.jpg

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just out of curiosity is this a 48*18*21 75g tank? i am planning to build a stand for a new 75g just wondering if I can steal your design :rolleyes:

Also did you drill pilot holes for the screws? and what size screw???

Last edited:
OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this was a standard 75g tank with those measurements. I did predrill and countersink all screws and if memory serves me correctly I believe I used 2 or 2 1/2" deck screws. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back