gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks spsfreak!

I guess I can post a pic. Maybe you guys can give some input as to where I can put some stuff. I want to clear up the sand bed some and get rid of the frag racks. I figure I'll see where the sps likes it best and then start mounting everything else to the rock. Looking at this pic makes me realize I've got alot of frags. There is more flow in this tank so I had to use coarser sand and its still blowing around. I don't know how you guys with high flow tanks do it. As always any input or sugustions are welcome.
corals030.jpg

w0r1d5m1n3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great. Do you have a glass top on your aquarium? If so you should look into getting a screen kit and swapping the screen for some pond mesh material. There are a few diy threads floating around you could check out. This way you can get better ventilation to your reef. As far as the sand blowing around, maybe mount the powerheads in the back corners of the tank and direct their flow across the rocks. Those may be the ideal places for your sps. Or you could get lots of nice chalices, favias, and acans to cover the sand a little. hth. :)

w0r1d5m1n3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also might want to consider isolating that GSP rock. Soon you may just have a GSP aquarium.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its funny you should say that about the gsp, I was just looking at it today and noticed how much it spread in the last coupl weeks, definitely going to do that.

I'll let my wife know the best solution for the sandbed is to buy more corals.:wink: "I know I already have a bunch of corals honey but its all I could do to fix the sandbed." Its a solution I'm happy with anyway, I like your thinking.:xd:

w0r1d5m1n3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its funny you should say that about the gsp, I was just looking at it today and noticed how much it spread in the last coupl weeks, definitely going to do that.

I'll let my wife know the best solution for the sandbed is to buy more corals.:wink: "I know I already have a bunch of corals honey but its all I could do to fix the sandbed." Its a solution I'm happy with anyway, I like your thinking.:xd:
Hahahahaha. Trust me. There are lots of us who don't bother to keep receipts around.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Lookin forward to those frags on Saturday and I'll have a few for you!

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
swanny: I've got them all cut up and they are looking good already! I cut the cyphastrea too, It looks good but I'd like to see it start to encrust before I bring it to you.

w0r1d: I run carbon and phosphate remover (sometimes) in the canister. I can't wait till I have the space to setup a sump.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahahaha. Trust me. There are lots of us who don't bother to keep receipts around.

My wife was conviced for years that everything was a $10-20 frag. I used to ask her if she wanted to go to the LFS, knowing full well that she would say no.. and I'd come across as the good husband that wanted to spend time with her. Unfortuantely she wanted to go recently after we got a puppy and she almost died when she saw the prices of some of the corals. Trying to convince her that the corals were more rare variations of some of the stuff in my tank was no easy task. "No honey... that one is pink, mine is the dime-a-dozen red kind." :wink:

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gabe-
I have some mohawks I can frag, the hornets are about ready to get cut, and that Tyree war coral frag is definitely looking better. Let me know if there's anything else you want me to frag for you!

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I think I'll wait till i get everything situated. In the meantime I'll just have to settle for looking at them in your tank.

I did take the big frag rack down and worked some of the sps into the tank. Little by little its getting there.

One thing I do need is fish. The wife keeps telling me that I have a tank this size with only three fish, I just don't know what to get. Anyone have any suggestions?

I did just pick up a yasha goby and pistal shrimp. Me and the kids thought they were cool. I put them in the tank and got them to camp out in a rock right in the front of the tank so that we would be able to see them. I saw them digging in last night and I haven't seen them since. I hope they are just being shy and will be ready to come out sometime soon.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got around to making my doors thought they still need to be sanded and stained. I also have to find the correct hinges. The doors sit flush with the front of the stand and I don't want hinges that you can see.
corals085.jpg

The yasha gobie wouldn't come out any further because he saw me with the camera waiting. The shrimp has been making some appearances too but doesn't stay out too long.
corals090.jpg

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, its been a while since I've updated this thread. Looking at these pics I realize how much everything has grown. I also realize how much better my tank would look if I had more room in my tank, I've bought way to many corals. I've been thinking about upgrading again but with so much time and work into the stand I'm kind of hesitant. Oh well here are a few pics.
IMG_1163.jpg

doacorals005cropped.jpg

doacorals006cropped.jpg

doacorals010cropped.jpg

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have a canopy planed out but haven't started it yet since I've been debating the upgrade. My buddy has a 125 he is taking down and I've also been thinking about doing two 24" cubes at either end of a custom wall unit that share a common sump. Although the cubes would be a lot more money and work but I think it would look really nice. The wife actually wants me to get the 125, lol.

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is great. Thanks for the ideas about the stand. I think after this I'll be taking out my front middle brace. Can we get a new FTS?

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on everything! You definately need some updates and when you get some recent pics make sure to get some of that dragon soul I saw on the 3rd post 4th picture down on the first page.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. lol, Now I'm going to have to clean the glass and break out the camera tomorrow. You know, that dragon soul did almost nothing as far as growth until just recently it finally started to stretch out a bit. Its not much bigger than it was in that pic.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I took some picture today. Not the greatest, I should know how to use my camera by now but I don't. lol.

RZ5T, here is my dragon soul. Like I said hasn't done much.
IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a full tank shot. Nothing great. I know way too many frags, lol. At first I thought there was no such thing however my sand bed would disagree. I'll be setting up a frag tank soon, then the tank will look empty.
IMG_1385.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%

Back