Gigas Grow Out Thread

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am soooo mad. Been growing my giga nicely for past 4 years + and left for vacation for 16days. Came home to it completely shrunk up. The sitters wouldn't have noticed it, but I am guessing my copperband picked at it. However, sadly, the copperband is no where to be found. Uggggggh. Could have been worse I guess.

The clam is not dead though. I moved it super high in the tank to get tons of light and I hope it recovers. Very little chance, but a chance. Sooo upset.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am soooo mad. Been growing my giga nicely for past 4 years + and left for vacation for 16days. Came home to it completely shrunk up. The sitters wouldn't have noticed it, but I am guessing my copperband picked at it. However, sadly, the copperband is no where to be found. Uggggggh. Could have been worse I guess.

The clam is not dead though. I moved it super high in the tank to get tons of light and I hope it recovers. Very little chance, but a chance. Sooo upset.
Not sure if your clam has a pinched mantle but if it does, consider FW dip if its not too far gone

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh no, keep us updated.

FWIW, I always put (multiple) webcams around my tanks whenever I leave! And at least the copperband seems to have offed itself over the guilt of harassing your clam, saves you the trouble of trying to catch it. No fish is more important than clams! ;)

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

:anguished-face::crying-face:
Do you have any photos? Any sign of improving?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. I saw yesterday and it had not shrunken any more, but no chance to check today.

EDIT: Just checked on it and it looks like it may have more extension today than yesterday. Still about an inch or more back from top of shell, but not dead yet.

Fingers crossed....

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. I saw yesterday and it had not shrunken any more, but no chance to check today.

EDIT: Just checked on it and it looks like it may have more extension today than yesterday. Still about an inch or more back from top of shell, but not dead yet.

Fingers crossed....
It couldn't hurt to dose some AB+ and/or phyto or similar to provide an energy source while it's retracted!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...
Well, when I returned from vacation, the insides of my giga were receded back over 2" from the edge of shell. Today, it is only receded about 1/2" from edge of shell. It is coming back!!!!

I have never seen a clam do this in the past. So happy. I hope it continues to recover. I would get pictures, but it is in a place that is difficult for that.

So happy right now.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Covid messed up my tank and kill my Gigas (through neglect) I started to get my tank back in shape and have since acquired another Gigas. He was not 100% heathy on arrival but u have since improved under my care and is growing well.
IMG_9992.jpeg
IMG_9955.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT is still recovering, but doing okay. Not fully extended yet, but getting there. I think I may actually put a frag rack really high up and put him on it. I hate those in my system, but if it will help keep it away from aiptasia, nems and more light, I can survive.

Thanks for asking. I am just happy it is still with me. I will get pictures if I can.

FYI, I got a baby giga from Biota for my traveling tank. I get to show kids the baby and then show them what it grows into. They will love it!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took a pic with phone. My lights are just coming on. Still recovering, but it seems to be growing shell still. Crazy. Oh, Mine has always been more pinkish with blue dots in pictures. Let me find one of a long time ago.

Today
20230704_090308.jpg
March 2022
gig Mar22.jpg

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took a pic with phone. My lights are just coming on. Still recovering, but it seems to be growing shell still. Crazy. Oh, Mine has always been more pinkish with blue dots in pictures. Let me find one of a long time ago.

Today
20230704_090308.jpg
March 2022
gig Mar22.jpg
Wow this is a unique one. Have you tried FW dip on it before? Also does it get good flow over the mantle.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I am leaving it alone just giving more light and nothing stinging it. It has come back a lot. Too bad I do not have a pic when I got home.

I am pretty sure the copperband was the issue as it is gone and clam is recovering slowly.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEAUTIES! How big is the blue one? where'd you get it? I lost 7 blue squam a couple years ago to a ritteri anemone that got shredded. made me cry! all were about 4 to 6"..
one was 8"
Honestly, i've never measured them, I would say they're both over 1 foot. I got it brown from a guy who was breaking down his tank. But, recently, I saw Biota selling small ones for $100. I was very tempted to buy a couple.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back