Glass bottle in reef tank

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you tell everyone who doesnt agree with you to go watch oprah? Curious as to why oprah anyway?
You must not have read the thread sfin provided you earlier...where the bottle idea came from. It’s a good read, you should check it out between commercials! :)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You must not have read the thread sfin provided you earlier...where the bottle idea came from. It’s a good read, you should check it out between commercials! :)

I am aware of that thread and Pauls's affinity for bringing local "stuff" into his tank. That doesn't change my view on the topic. This is an open forum and there will be people who don't share every single view/opinion that you may have about every single hobby related topic.

You may like Ecotech, I'm more of a Tunze guy; am I going to get flamed for that?

You want to throw bottles in your tank, be my guest. I personally wouldn't do that.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look great @sfin52! Can’t wait to see how it evolves in your tank. I just noticed you are in Springfield, I’m not too far away near St. Louis! Hi neighbor!
Hi. Been to gateway and corner reef any other Lfs in st louis I should check out.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Been to gateway and corner reef any other Lfs in st louis I should check out.
Absolutely!! Seascape studio, Corals and more and Marine solutions are all good places. What about Springfield? I could use a day trip.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware of that thread and Pauls's affinity for bringing local "stuff" into his tank. That doesn't change my view on the topic. This is an open forum and there will be people who don't share every single view/opinion that you may have about every single hobby related topic.

You may like Ecotech, I'm more of a Tunze guy; am I going to get flamed for that?

You want to throw bottles in your tank, be my guest. I personally wouldn't do that.
Oh my Gosh, it is an open forum... but you’re kinda being a nuisance to us bottle busters lol We should start calling you green hair algae. We heard your opinion... now just sit back, get your sparkling water n watch your soap operas.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely!! Seascape studio, Corals and more and Marine solutions are all good places. What about Springfield? I could use a day trip.
Nothing in Springfield worth traveling to. There is a guy in Peoria il that has amazing frag tanks with good prices.
If @fishguy242 ever sets his stuff set up, he is in southern il will be a great source as well.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have this one that came off of an old shipwreck! It was given to my wife by a family friend! It still has the calcification on it. She told me that I can put it in my tank but I'm not sure I want to break it or drill a hole to allow for water flow. It's a little too valuable and rare in my opinion to damage!

20200711_190340.jpg 20200711_190257.jpg
I would not break that one.
Who knows someday it could pay for your entire retirement.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fishguy242 is a very busy bee liking everyone’s threads, building pool tables, buying tie dye shirts and growing corn in his yard. I don’t see how he can find time for the monster tank in the dining room ;Hilarious

U

User1

View Badges

I believe it goes back to your first reply in the thread and the delivery method. In other words sometimes it is better to not say anything at all. And if you do then just keep it related to the process and/or work as it relates to the end state.

Agree, disagree, that is all great. We should. And we should be ready to have these discussions. Sometimes though the delivery is where we screw up and things go South. Please note that I said "we" and not "you".

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my first thought's on the thread was. WHAT!! BOTTLES!! are you nutzzz o_O

But after looking at the photos, I agree its a really cool look.
I get why some would baulk at the idea but yea it can add some character to the tank.

Honestly I don't like knowing that there is so mush trash going into the oceans that bottles and stuff have become an entire normal part of our natural reefs now. I find that sad though its the truth.

The wife has a half set of glass cups that she has talked about replacing. This thread gave me the idea to cut one in half and see if I can get my Coco worm through the handle.
Ever ending ideas.

Thx everyone.

U

User1

View Badges
Ok so my first thought's on the thread was. WHAT!! BOTTLES!! are you nutzzz o_O

But after looking at the photos, I agree its a really cool look.
I get why some would baulk at the idea but yea it can add some character to the tank.

Honestly I don't like knowing that there is so mush trash going into the oceans that bottles and stuff have become an entire normal part of our natural reefs now. I find that sad though its the truth.

The wife has a half set of glass cups that she has talked about replacing. This thread gave me the idea to cut one in half and see if I can get my Coco worm through the handle.
Ever ending ideas.

Thx everyone.

One of the diving forums I read was a thread that we would post things we found while scuba diving. It started out what we found diving around the various sites in Monterey but soon spread to other locations which included rivers, lakes, and then places we have been and successfully logged dives. It was a really great read and in some cases down right scary.

There is nothing wrong by adding a bottle in our aquarium be it in pure form or assisted in aging the look and feel. A tank full of bottles probably not. A bottle or two tucked away in the aquascape though? Not going to hurt anything at all.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottles and clay pots as long as people been around have ended up on reefs. Ship wrecks and what not. It’s all the plastics and other pollutants. That are wrecking a reef.

I thought the bottles was a really cool look and something different. Something to wow that’s pretty cool. A couple tucked away With coral and fish living init would be really cool.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottles and clay pots as long as people been around have ended up on reefs. Ship wrecks and what not. It’s all the plastics and other pollutants. That are wrecking a reef.

I thought the bottles was a really cool look and something different. Something to wow that’s pretty cool. A couple tucked away With coral and fish living init would be really cool.
Plus shipwrecks help reefs. People wreck ships on purposely to help with reefs. You can’t get mad people are dumping art, and wrecks, and cylinder blocks in the wild to help build new reefs...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back