Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 108 47.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 71 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

Drop off tanks have always been fascinating to me, but I have never actually added one to my collections of tanks. For whatever reason, I have never completely understood the best way (or even multiple solid options) for aquascaping a drop off tank. After seeing the Eshopps Mariana drop off nano tank at Reef-a-Palooza, my interested has been reengaged and I have been thinking more about these tanks recently. What about you - would you be interested in a drop off aquarium? For some reason, adding a drop off nano doesn’t seem so daunting. Please let us know what you think about these tanks and share any tips for aquascaping a drop off tank!

melfish_DropoffTank.jpeg

Photo by @melfish

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I REALLY like the design and my creativity is engaged in thinking of possibilities. I agree that flow and scaping would be challenging. I have seen some nice setups with these!

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted one, but at the tune of $10k, I declined.
I wanted a 150ish gallon, 5 footer. I had my ideas for flow and scape, I dreamed for a year for this. But that $$$ was a very hard pill to swallow!
Sketch it up. We will build it. Keep the overall height below 24 inch. Heck of a lot less than 10 large. Clarify; not asking you to buy it. We just want to build one but per the desires of hobbyists

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted one, but at the tune of $10k, I declined.
I wanted a 150ish gallon, 5 footer. I had my ideas for flow and scape, I dreamed for a year for this. But that $$$ was a very hard pill to swallow!
That’s crazy! Even with today’s Inflated prices it’s not worth that much! Mine was exactly 150 gallons and cost me a weekend and $700 lol I still would never do it again unless it was a desk top or something.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Just need the green answered.

IMG_0076.jpeg

18 inches for the depth of your top shelf, 12 inches for the height. That gives you 56 gallons of volume on the top shelf, 93 on your bottom shelf, for a total display volume of 149 gallons with an 8" drop-off.

For flow to the bottom ledge, you could use some of the gyre pumps with the outlets rotated slightly downward to send flow down in there, plus powerheads down deeper specifically for that area... though you could simply designate that your area for low-flow corals.

At only 20 inches deep, you wouldn't see a huge drop-off in PAR back-to-front, unless you deliberately chose to under-light the front half of the tank to create a lower PAR zone.

I know you guys like to do AIO tanks - if you scaled up the height more, wouldn't it be possible to make a drop-off where the cavity underneath the back shelf is high enough to essentially fit a functional sump inside? Obviously access would be difficult in most against-the-wall installations, so it might not be feasible... but that's a pretty big cavity to just leave unused.

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With all the new tech out there I'm sure there are ways of flow not being an issue. Lighting would definitely not be a problem. Maybe closed loop for flow on deeper part would answer that!

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the drop off aquarium is the design. Its a single drop and its something you can do with rockscapes without the issues from the design for flow.

If we were able to replicate tide pools in the aquarium, that would be such a cool drop off style aquarium design.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the new tech out there I'm sure there are ways of flow not being an issue. Lighting would definitely not be a problem. Maybe closed loop for flow on deeper part would answer that!
Closed loop and/or with flow nozzles on the ends. We have done them both ways. I am a big fan of reverse flow undergravel/substrate filtration. We are going to build this bad boy.
18 inches for the depth of your top shelf, 12 inches for the height. That gives you 56 gallons of volume on the top shelf, 93 on your bottom shelf, for a total display volume of 149 gallons with an 8" drop-off.

For flow to the bottom ledge, you could use some of the gyre pumps with the outlets rotated slightly downward to send flow down in there, plus powerheads down deeper specifically for that area... though you could simply designate that your area for low-flow corals.

At only 20 inches deep, you wouldn't see a huge drop-off in PAR back-to-front, unless you deliberately chose to under-light the front half of the tank to create a lower PAR zone.

I know you guys like to do AIO tanks - if you scaled up the height more, wouldn't it be possible to make a drop-off where the cavity underneath the back shelf is high enough to essentially fit a functional sump inside? Obviously access would be difficult in most against-the-wall installations, so it might not be feasible... but that's a pretty big cavity to just leave unused.
There are ways to utilize that cavity as an integrated part of the main tank. It does not need to be "outside". We've built these before. Just not as a standard offering. And yes, we like AIO's. For this one, I am thinking our ReefPoint Shallow Reef Lagoon Open Sump AIO. Eight inches wide with third party protein skimmer. >>> https://www.tenecoraquariums.com/collections/hushflow®-powersump-aio-aquariums

These are my personal favorites. These were designed with input from R2R members, particularly @tharbin.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who would opt for 14 seams versus 8 seams.? Aren't 8 enough to worry about?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My drop off was an enjoyable tank, just not big enough and do agree, it offered a few dead spots with detritus buildup and dead spots for flow

drop6.jpg
drop 10.10c.jpg
drop off 7.30a.jpg
dropG.jpg
dropoff14.jpg

Attachments

• drop off 7.30b.jpg
    drop off 7.30b.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 21

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back