Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 32 15.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 95 44.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 28 13.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.7%

• Total voters

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one mushroom that just sits there looking sad and hasn’t grown a nanometer since I added it months ago. (._. )

I have a happier looking Ricordea, albeit still with anemic growth.

Everything else in the tank grows fine… Softies, LPS, SPS, Anemone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s odd, the only coral I struggle with. Ive went through 4-5 ricordea and currently have zero. I have a single rhodactis that’s been in there about two years and a discosoma about the same amount time that just over the past two months dropped 3 babies.
Really? I was definitely going to start out with a couple of these. (Maybe I should hold off at first) Did they just seem not to thrive? I appreciate any feedback.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I was definitely going to start out with a couple of these. (Maybe I should hold off at first) Did they just seem not to thrive? I appreciate any feedback.
No, please don’t except my experience with the norm. They are considered beginner friendly and easy coral but for some reason don’t like my system. I can grow all of these though.
7C31A726-AF65-44A5-B542-1E949D486074.jpeg

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO there are those awful boring mushrooms that are almost colorless and then there are ricordeas and the like. To me, ricordia are as beautiful as any coral in the aquarium. I would mind having a surplus of them.

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely. I had a pink discosoma that spread like wildfire accross the entire tank! Even the rhodactis was troublesome!

IMG_20180713_211638.jpg

Manual removal became necessary, the final solution to keep them managable was to simply flood the tank with MORE LIGHT!!! And force them BACK to the shadow, from whence they came!!!

Now there are only a a few discosomas left and the rhodactis keep to the crevices and overhangs. The rhodactis also took on a much nicer purple-red color, so win win there. :)
Reef61L-2024-05-12.jpg
"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, please don’t except my experience with the norm. They are considered beginner friendly and easy coral but for some reason don’t like my system. I can grow all of these though.
7C31A726-AF65-44A5-B542-1E949D486074.jpeg
Yes that makes sense. I should try them out. Honestly, I wouldn't miss a mushroom if I had the amazing reef you have there. After seeing this photo of your corals, I definitely blame the mushrooms!!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to go back a couple of decades... I had a 220g tank lit by 2x 400w 14000k DE Ushio's + power compact actinics... Yeah, it's been a while. home depot sandbox sand, 5" dsb, Precision Marine Bullet 1 skimmer. That tank could grow _anything_

Anyway, my wife's father got sick, wife spent a great deal of time away, we had 4 small kids, and suddenly, I had no time. For 6 months, zero maintenance. Nothing. I'd feed once or twice a week, and that's about it. At the end of those 6 months, a group of what I call 'Watermelon' mushrooms decided they liked the dirty water, and covered _everything_. Killed my clams, all my corals... Covered every rock surface in the tank.

I ended up using 160lbs of very expensive, wet ship Walt Smith live rock to fill a hole in the back yard. Completely started over.

These things: Never again.
watermelon.jpg
I call those green striped wagon wheels....they just roll around the tank.

I had a single green striped survive a total tank melt down in 2003. A few months later it popped up on a rock. They weren't initially a problem.

When I rebuilt my current tank in 2010, I was going for a lower light softy tank...garden of mushrooms with some nepthia and zoas. I also had a couple of reds that existed. They eventually took off around 2018, the striped ones even took over a green frilly variety. About a year or two ago, the reds started marching into green territory. The greens would pop off and land everywhere.

The last year I've been aggressively removing them where I can. I removed several rocks last year and occasionally scrape individuals out when I do water changes.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All started with a singles shroom frag's about 8 months ago or so, I love how they fluff and flutter in the water and the colors. I have a few others also, about 3 different yuma's that are bouncing including a Godzilla Bounce Yuma and a red yuma with green mouth I don't remember name of that is also bouncing.

I love the shrooms almost as much as the zoa's!
20231218_063138.jpg

Hunna’s Stunnas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock full of King Kong Yumas, and the only problem I have is not being able to knock the big ones off easily to allow the babies to grow. I’m open to any suggestions.
EDB826B6-EBBA-4029-9C9F-608F2CB3EC31.jpeg

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely. I had a pink discosoma that spread like wildfire accross the entire tank! Even the rhodactis was troublesome!

IMG_20180713_211638.jpg

Manual removal became necessary, the final solution to keep them managable was to simply flood the tank with MORE LIGHT!!! And force them BACK to the shadow, from whence they came!!!

Now there are only a a few discosomas left and the rhodactis keep to the crevices and overhangs. The rhodactis also took on a much nicer purple-red color, so win win there. :)
Reef61L-2024-05-12.jpg
kinda off topic but that tank is AWESOME

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that wrasse behave itself?
Very well behaved, it has been in there two and a half years. Three fish added after and no problems. I know what you’ve read but the one I had in my previous 16 years of reefing was the same which is why it was a must have when I started back up again. Lucky?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone please tell me how to get this problem? I have tried several times with some Jbs and never worked :) really want a tank infested with JBs.
I got some green palys with your name on it, pm me your address lol
What? Blue clove polyps didn't make your list?
Shhhhh
now say “Blue clove polyps” three times, I dare you:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well behaved, it has been in there two and a half years. Three fish added after and no problems. I know what you’ve read but the one I had in my previous 16 years of reefing was the same which is why it was a must have when I started back up again. Lucky?
Im debating adding one to my 26 gallon. I have a few spaghetti worms i am wanting to get removed. I have reduced feeding but they seem to be gaining numbers.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im debating adding one to my 26 gallon. I have a few spaghetti worms i am wanting to get removed. I have reduced feeding but they seem to be gaining numbers.
Just curious, why do you want to get rid of your spaghetti worms? They are great cuc, I bought some from a vendor in Hawaii to add to my tank for that very reason.

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why do you want to get rid of your spaghetti worms? They are great cuc, I bought some from a vendor in Hawaii to add to my tank for that very reason.
I just don't like them. They are unsightly is all. One side of my tank seems to be full of them. They are randomly flowing in the water column or crawling on the glass in the morning.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't like them. They are unsightly is all. One side of my tank seems to be full of them. They are randomly flowing in the water column or crawling on the glass in the morning.
I rarely see mine as they are nocturnal. You can always vanquish them and replace them with other cuc that are more pleasant to your eye. Happy reefing.

Back