OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I have the same coral as your first picture. Any idea what the name of it is? I won it along with 24 other coral frags as a door price at a frag show but I’m not sure what it is or the name of it. Been following this and Iv enjoyed watching your progress. Keep up the good work.

Scientific name: leptoseris sp.
Hobby name: Jack-o'-lantern (popularized by Jason Fox, aquacultured by everyone now)

Thanks for following along. That coral was listed as a JF lethal leptoseris. I’m not sure I can tell the difference between it and the jack-o-lantern.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check about ick & velvet coming in on coral frags. It is my understanding ick and velvet come only on fish.

To be on coral frags, the frags would have to come from a tank that had ick &velvet on fish. Most coral distributors due not have that situation. They wish to sell clean corals.

That is exactly how it happens. Ick and Velvet can live on a coral/plug for a period of time. I just lost all of my fish to velvet that arrived on a frag. Quick way to change my mind to QT everything.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look at "the other way to run a reef tank, no quarantine"
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-other-way-to-run-a-reef-tank-no-quarantine.534274/
I have recreated my own version of this system. I have been running this system for almost 8 months with 9 fish and have only lost 1 fish 1 week after introduction. Probably stress related. When I add fish or coral I add I always add the water in the bag because I want the parasites in my tank.
I even stressed my fish out by draining 90% of my water, sucking out my special grade sand and adding beach sand from Siesta key beach and I didn't even rinse it. Fish are doing great. I can't say the same for my frags. 4 of 11 of my frags died but all my fish are fine.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
checking in on your build, I have not been on here to much and my 750 is still not running and we might move...ugg
sorry to hear you lost some fish that sucks man :(
with the price of fish and corals I really wish there was a cure for ick and velvet...we can dream right!

spectra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build and a really late congrats!!!!

Just picked up a 750 myself and looking at build threads......

As for a ATO container I have one in my garage thats 20 feet from the tank. Spectrapure ATO for the win.........best investment I have done on a reef tank. Nothing I hate more is a big bucket next to the tank.......my 48x30 rimless goes through 3 to 4 gallons a day so..........

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build and a really late congrats!!!!

Just picked up a 750 myself and looking at build threads......

As for a ATO container I have one in my garage thats 20 feet from the tank. Spectrapure ATO for the win.........best investment I have done on a reef tank. Nothing I hate more is a big bucket next to the tank.......my 48x30 rimless goes through 3 to 4 gallons a day so..........
Thank you! I’m sure you’ll love the xxl750. I ended using a tunze water valve connected to the rodi for ato. It’s been great so far. The wine barrel I am using for AWC. Everyone thinks it’s just a cool decoration and they have no idea there’s 35 gallons of saltwater mixing inside. Luckily the tank is huge so it doesn’t out of place.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
checking in on your build, I have not been on here to much and my 750 is still not running and we might move...ugg
sorry to hear you lost some fish that sucks man :(
with the price of fish and corals I really wish there was a cure for ick and velvet...we can dream right!
Thanks for checking in. I haven’t been on much either. Reefing has always been primarily a winter hobby for me. The fish loss was a bummer but a risk I took not quarantining. After much thought I decided to try my old methods again except I have qt on standby this time. I have added some tangs. A powder brown, Naso, yellow, sailfin and a convict. I have not seen any aggression or signs of illness. I picked up some tester frags from WWC and none of the sticks survived but the encrusting sps are doing well. I’ll pick up some more Acropora to test the waters before I have WWC start shipping the good stuff.
Hey, new house, new tank opportunities!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking in. I haven’t been on much either. Reefing has always been primarily a winter hobby for me. The fish loss was a bummer but a risk I took not quarantining. After much thought I decided to try my old methods again except I have qt on standby this time. I have added some tangs. A powder brown, Naso, yellow, sailfin and a convict. I have not seen any aggression or signs of illness. I picked up some tester frags from WWC and none of the sticks survived but the encrusting sps are doing well. I’ll pick up some more Acropora to test the waters before I have WWC start shipping the good stuff.

good to know the new fish are settling in. sending them good vibes!

funny you say new house new tank opportunities...dont even have my 750 up but walking around the possible new home its a fixer upper and turning in to quite the project anyway I started to dream about a 300+ gallon peninsula..lol then i see the empty 750 and think how could I do any better. :p

I was jut on WWC the other day checking out there corals...you know just for fun I am more of an LPS guy myself but they do have some very nice SPS.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good to know the new fish are settling in. sending them good vibes!

funny you say new house new tank opportunities...dont even have my 750 up but walking around the possible new home its a fixer upper and turning in to quite the project anyway I started to dream about a 300+ gallon peninsula..lol then i see the empty 750 and think how could I do any better. :p

I was jut on WWC the other day checking out there corals...you know just for fun I am more of an LPS guy myself but they do have some very nice SPS.
I’ve had some encrusting sps in the past but that’s about it. I’ve really always liked soft corals. I had a 55 gallon that was filled with softies and loved it. Part of the reason for this was for the ease of maintenance and the lack of equipment. Fortunately that’s not an issue anymore thanks to BRS!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a quality UV and stop worrying about parasites. The initial investment is relatively big but the peace of mind is priceless.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sneak peak of a few corals. These are from the first shipment from WWC.
905FD326-8583-4B42-8B05-21A6AFCA5E47.jpeg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile with life in the way. Not enough time to fully catch up on your thread but like what I saw from a quick look. The corals are real nice

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned my lesson and now the xxl750 has started its fallow period. I woke up Sunday morning after being gone all day Saturday to all but a one fish dead. They were covered in what appeared to be brook and velvet. I’m not sure if that is possible but it was sloughing white stuff and looked like they rolled in the sugar bowl. There were a couple still breathing heavy but not moving. They passed by the time I could even think about moving them.
I feel horrible for the fish that I’ve let succumb to these diseases. I had plenty of advice to qt but didn’t listen.
At this point I’ve got some time to figure out my next step. There’s a local fish store that will quarantine. I thought about visiting them to see what their procedure is. There’s also marine collectors to look at.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bite the bullet and get a quality UV! Think about all the fish you lost. Were they worth $400? That’s about how much it costs to get a UV that fits your need. I joined the UV club a year ago and I am never turning back.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bite the bullet and get a quality UV! Think about all the fish you lost. Were they worth $400? That’s about how much it costs to get a UV that fits your need. I joined the UV club a year ago and I am never turning back.
I’ve been doing a lot of reading on uv. It seems that most people that have one say they work for Protozoa. Those that don’t have one say they don’t work as well. I’m thinking if I go fallow, buy quality quarantined fish and have a uv I should be safe. How do you have yours plumbed? I’m thinking about getting one big enough to run all my return water through.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing a lot of reading on uv. It seems that most people that have one say they work for Protozoa. Those that don’t have one say they don’t work as well. I’m thinking if I go fallow, buy quality quarantined fish and have a uv I should be safe. How do you have yours plumbed? I’m thinking about getting one big enough to run all my return water through.
Don't get those who have not run a quality UV tell you it doesn't work. For your system you can get an 80W Pentair and call it a day.
I plumbed mine using a dedicated pump and run it across the sump. The intake is in the overflow section and outlet into the return section. It's basically a bypass to the sump. This way I minimize sterilizing the same water over and over again. Some people may say it reduces the efficiency of the skimmer because the amount of water flow through the skimmer section is less but that impact is really minimal.
Of course having it plumbed directed through the return line is the best but since your tank is already plumbed I think adding in a 3-4 feet UV is going to be pretty difficult.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry you lost your fish. Qt is not hard and you can get a used setup cheap. I killed my last purple tang and I will never not qt again. As for your coral, if wwc sent you them I would dip and place. Any local frag pieces should be dipped and qt. Unless you know and trust the tank they came out of then just dip. Your tank is looking great and I’m looking forward to the next few months pics and progression.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@goodtimes my advice is save the $400 and get a decent QT set up. Truly. UV will not fix sick fish. You don’t need anything crazy. A 20l or two with a hang on back filter, ammonia badge, heater, a simple light and some PVC pipe for cover. We’re talking $80 if you time it at a $/gallon sale. You’ll have the ability to observe your fish for parasites and treat it... not put a band aid on it. If for nothing else, you’ll get your fish acclimated to captivity and eating! Think about it.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@goodtimes my advice is save the $400 and get a decent QT set up. Truly. UV will not fix sick fish. You don’t need anything crazy. A 20l or two with a hang on back filter, ammonia badge, heater, a simple light and some PVC pipe for cover. We’re talking $80 if you time it at a $/gallon sale. You’ll have the ability to observe your fish for parasites and treat it... not put a band aid on it. If for nothing else, you’ll get your fish acclimated to captivity and eating! Think about it.
I do think a quality uv serves it purpose if implemented correctly. I don’t expect it to cure diseases but I do believe it will help reduce it. Plus it provides the crystal clear water that I like.

I’ve got everything needed to setup a qt. I just don’t have room to set it up. I know that sounds ridiculous to a lot of you but my wife has a place for everything in our little house. I’ve already taken over the majority of wall space with the the tank.

I do have one option although not ideal because it’s so close to the display. I can move the wine barrel (awc container) for the time being. That should provide the room needed for a qt. The other option is just to spend the money and have someone else qt all the fish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back