OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured some of you thought this tank was on Craigslist by now, lol...

This is going to be my 10 year tank, no chance of selling. Ive hit some obstacles though. Mostly in the way of room. I really need a basement or equipment room to run a tank this size. My wife and I planned a small addition for the spring as a equipment room. After further discussion we think it’s best to find a new home. It’ll be another year or two before that happens though. In the meantime now that summer is behind us it’s time to focus on the tank again.
When I first took delivery of the xxl750 I couldn’t imagine waiting four months for it to cycle. Here we are nearly 11 months in and the tank looks nearly the same as it did in the beginning.
It has been interesting and I wish I would have gone into it planning a one year cycle. The tank has went through several funky phases that I have not experienced before. Most recently the rocks are covered in a fluffy white mass. Almost looks bacterial. I did not perform much maintenance the past 6 months. An occasional water change and cleaning is all.
More updates to come.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured some of you thought this tank was on Craigslist by now, lol...

This is going to be my 10 year tank, no chance of selling. Ive hit some obstacles though. Mostly in the way of room. I really need a basement or equipment room to run a tank this size. My wife and I planned a small addition for the spring as a equipment room. After further discussion we think it’s best to find a new home. It’ll be another year or two before that happens though. In the meantime now that summer is behind us it’s time to focus on the tank again.
When I first took delivery of the xxl750 I couldn’t imagine waiting four months for it to cycle. Here we are nearly 11 months in and the tank looks nearly the same as it did in the beginning.
It has been interesting and I wish I would have gone into it planning a one year cycle. The tank has went through several funky phases that I have not experienced before. Most recently the rocks are covered in a fluffy white mass. Almost looks bacterial. I did not perform much maintenance the past 6 months. An occasional water change and cleaning is all.
More updates to come.
thanks for the update I was thinking about you and your tank the other day.
oh I know all about the it my new 750XXL is still empty almost a year later. never would of thought.

we you are house shoping if you are thinking of a fixxer upper really get a good idea what needs to be done. we bought a house 2 months after I got the 750 worked on it for a few months then needed to gut the whole thing only thing we saved was the roof and outer walls. man waht a journey...BUT on the + side I will have a basement fish room mainly for a mixing station.
so all that said find a house that suites both of you guys. good luck!
if it gonna be a cpl years maybe to an easy FOWLR ?

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months since my last update and still dealing with this bacteria I believe. I was able to make it to the LEAR swap and pick up some goodies though.
B0C03A9E-4B09-4BAD-B0F6-1EBE133864ED.jpeg

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s taken a lot longer than I expected but my tank has finally turned a corner. Coralline algae started taking off recently and that stubborn bacteria went away. Unfortunately I had a streak of bad luck with every sps I put in the tank. Softies and Lps did good. I think the calcium reactor is tuned in now and I’ll be getting some more sps in the near future.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. Ya gotta love the bigger house to fit the tank:D

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, any luck with sps yet?

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, any luck with sps yet?
I just put some acro frags in that I picked up during Fraghouse corals live sale. I went from having no phosphates and nitrates to having too many. I think I’ve got that under control. Currrently sitting at .14 phosphate and 10 nitrates, Alk 11 dkh, calcium 350, magnesium 1250. I’m hoping for the best.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to get an up to date fish list but I’ve had all of them for atleast a year now. All of them from Live aquaria divers den. I lost two tangs last week. There was a suction end of a python hose I had sitting on the overflow. It fell in and I was lazy and was going to pull it out later. I came home from work and dead inside was a naso and mimic tang. I guess they swam in and couldn’t backup.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cool:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back