OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll let Jared go into detail on what's going on with his anemones but H. Magnifica and S. Gigantea are the hardest anemones to keep alive, so if you have deflation or a gaping mouth present from either species treatment is almost always a critical step that needs to be taken with them.

Also anemones, especially H. Magnifica and S. Gigantea as these love high lighting, do not bleach like corals. They usually bleach when they do not get enough light as light is their main source of Zooanthellae production.

Well said justin.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Housing these two anemones together in a small tank while they are going through this might not be a good idea. they are some of the most potent anemones.

You are right, but I usually never have issues with mag and gig together. They normally tolerate each other fairly well.

I've treated them together multiple times with no I'll affects.

Now a Haddoni and mag, mag will sting a Haddoni. They don't like them.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a suggestion only. I would not have posted in the thread if I did not have prior experience with both of these.

Thanks for the suggestion Wendy. Sometimes, like today...I'll have a mag or gig who just starts to overdose on the medication. It rarely happens in the beginning, but sometimes it does happen. When I see the animal not responding well to light, temp, meds, flow, SG, etc...I immeadetly begin plan B. Today plan B was to put the purple gig back in display. He was going limp with new dose of medication. Stopping treatment early can result in a MDRO. Then the animal will die. You really have to be positive that the NEM is having adverse reactions.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was just after I did a water change. Like a rookie, I forgot to check the SG on my new water. I got it very close the day before, but it was still mixing. Well the mag completely deflated 20 minutes later. I was thinking what is going on. The gig looked fine. Then I realized what had happened. They were previously in 1.024. The new water was 1.027. Yikes! So I added fresh water. Then the gig deflates, but the mag perked up slightly. Gonna be interesting tomorrow. They may all be dead. In total, I have 5 Nems down. Running out of tanks. My buddy have 4 of my HT's doing tank transfer.

Purple that had adverse reaction to medication.

The mag with brown base is the new one I just started treatment on. He was the size of a baseball yesterday. I dosed 250mg of Cipro.
He's already responding and doing better.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They all still hanging in there. Purple is the worst. Still treating with both 250mg Cipro and decreased Septra to 40/200.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top. 2 look better to me

Sent from my iPhone using REEF2REEF

Yeah, they are doing fairly well now. I'm still having trouble with the bigger Magnifica. He's been difficult, but at least he's responding to treatment.

Of course the purple is having issues too. He looks like a pancake. I put him back in treatment with the Large Magnifica. Hopefully he survives the night. I'll update again today at about 6pm or earlier.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done with treatment on 4 of the 5 Nems. My skimmer is up and running now, and I'm planning a 100% water change in the DT tomorrow. I'm hoping that large water changes will keep the Nems healthy until my system stabilizes. Well that's the plan anyway, but with the Nems I keep, I know better. The purple S. Gigantea is probably going to die. He responds negatively to just about everything. I need to be at home watching him & tweaking the system to keep up with his needs. Unfortunately, I have to work like everybody else. He deflates in HT with any medication I dose. He deflates in DT. He deflates with too much light and too little light. He's picky with flow too. At this point I've done about all I can do. I'm hoping he's still alive when I get home today and that I can complete the large water change to see if he'll respond. I'm done with treatment on everybody at the moment. Will keep the other 4 in QT and do 50% water changes for the next 3 days unless they are looking really well. If so, I'll move them to the DT. So yeah, here's a few pics.

Mouth tight

Stubborn purple

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, last Treatment pictures for this documentation thread.

Quick recap:

Started out with Septra. Dose is 1 pill to 10/G. Had issues and started Cipro at 250mg per 10/G. Mid to end of treatment, I decreased Septra dose to 400/80 per 10/G. Later, I even went to 200/40. I kept the Cipro at 250/mg per 10/G.

3 Magnifica are saved and 1 Gigantea.

1 purple Gigantea still continues to decline.

Large water change was completed today and started running GFO to bring the phosphates down. Will update on the purple tomorrow. Hopefully, the large WC and GFO will level the tank out a bit and the purple will make it. Unlikely, but not impossible.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure I would do one more update with the 2 Magnifica back in DT. The frag and brown Gig are behind the rocks. Could get pics.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the purple S. Gigantea. I tried, but he was not responding to anything. However, I did manage to save my Tan. Here's the final pics.

I'll let the system mature and then order a few colored gigs. Blue and Green sounds nice!

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the purple S. Gigantea. I tried, but he was not responding to anything. However, I did manage to save my Tan. Here's the final pics.

I'll let the system mature and then order a few colored gigs. Blue and Green sounds nice!

Wow, that sucks man. Happens to the best of us... Glad all of your others made it.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, bummer for sure. Minh had given me that Gigantea and he was special to me.

You win some and loose some. With Gigantea's I loose more than I win.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%
Back