Halide vs. LED vs. T5! Which do you prefer and why?

Which option do you prefer for lighting?

• LED

Votes: 91 33.5%
  • T5

Votes: 30 11.0%
  • Metal Halide

Votes: 14 5.1%
  • LED/T5 combo

Votes: 69 25.4%
  • LED/MH combo

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • T5/MH combo

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • MH/T5/LED combo

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • Other (VHO, PC, Sunlight, etc.)

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

AquariGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of T5's and LEDs, combined. LEDs give the shimmer and customization, T5's give the coverage and a good base color.

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good colors you have a 400W Radium and two 4 T5's and 2 Blue RB on this tank? Wow I need to lower my light how may inches is that and you have any heat issues?
Looks good!!!

400w 20k Radium, 4 T5's, and 2 blue LED reefbrites running on my system. I can honestly say that I have the best lighting available in reef keeping (far from most expensive). Spectrum, intensity, and coverage is excellent. Running a single halide over a large cube is surprisingly efficient as well.

Not the best pic but you can get an idea of coverage and the bright appearance.
IMG_0859 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

nature786

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my halide & led for actinics combination.
If I find the fixture I want.
It would definitely be t5 & Halide.
Can't get the same growth from anything else but Halides personally.

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used 2 GHL Mitras and now back to two 4-bulb 80W ATI fixtures with two kessils in the middle between the two ATI fixtures. I get the best color, spectrum, control, no heat issue (I don't run a chiller or fan and I live in Houston, TX), and how I can forgot the shimmer! haha.. The Kessils A360W has the best shimmer I can find for LEDs. It out shines my Mitras by far and the Mitras has very wide/even spread than the Radions.

The corals are loving the lights for sure and I am very in love with them also. Happy corals = happy reefer.

Reefkeepr1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Halides but to save money I have moved to LEDs and I am happy with them and so is my corals all hard and softies!!
image.jpg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good colors you have a 400W Radium and two 4 T5's and 2 Blue RB on this tank? Wow I need to lower my light how may inches is that and you have any heat issues?
Looks good!!!

Thanks. Yep 400w radium, 4xt5, 2xreefbrites on this 32x32 cube. The halide itself is about 12" from the water surface. It looks like the fixture is lower because it slopes down in the front and back.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried pretty much everything over the years and I prefer MH supplemented with T5 for overall coral health and color.
I've done LED long term and for SPS I'm not a fan at this time in their development. The tank is too dim, the corals are bald underneath from poor light spread, they exhibit odd growth patters probably due to the same issue, and I've found that some sps just don't color up or grow nearly as well as MH. Where-as EVERYTHING seems to like MH. Maybe some colors are different or you prefer some color under LED, but looking at the tank overall I find it does MUCH better under MH/T5. MH gives you the point light source with shimmer and proven spectrums with no guesswork. Just buy a bulb, throw it up there and watch your coral grow. The T5 give you the dawn dusk and ability to make any tweaks you might want with color. I might even try VHO instead of T5 at some point since that is really supposed to be the holy grail of actinic supplementation. I have also thought about adding some Reefbright strips to my MH/T5 fixture since its an easy add-on but not sure if its going to gain me much.

I've found the positive far outweigh the negatives of heat/electricity (I'm not in a tiered area) and have also found that savings touted by the manufacturers is not nearly as much as they would have us believe.

Here's my tank under MH/T5...

i-Vm6tc7K.jpg

i-nJc4Kdb.jpg

i-LKGBKf6-L.jpg

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run mh vho t5 and led

I am stuck on my led's. Look great, great growth and color, no longer running a chiller and a/c isn't working it's but off anymore. I kept my mh setup in case I wanted to switch back but am currently looking into selling them. I'm pleased with the led's so much I will never switch back.

Background info, I ran mh/vho for 7 years mh/t5 for 3 and been running led for just over a year now.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running led now and will add 4 ati t5 bulbs by this christmas and new year break.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently running LED (reefbreeders) but I'm about to add 2 T5's to it as soon as the ups guy stops by :rockon:

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next lighting will be a t5 /led hybrid unit. I think it gives a great combination of efficiency,colors and coral growth . I would prefer the hybrid to be heavy on the t5 side or with equal t5/led at a minimum . It will be interesting to see the new PacSun hybrid and the Geisemann Aurora hybrid in action next year.

Last edited:

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leds for look, long term cost, and coloration.
My tank kessils
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419040270.368103.jpg

Buddies tank DIY
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419040309.691986.jpg

Kessils on friends
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419040340.307369.jpg

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all three and I'm very happy with the results. If I could do anything different I'd probably do more blue T5s

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back