Hanna Calcium Checker

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Looking for a suggestion from someone experienced with Hanna Marine Calcium Checker HI758 that knows how the test works.

Following this video --> (Min 2:50) the guy explains to use pure distilled water from an industrial brand to get a more accurate result instead of our home-made Rodi because it will always contains a bit of "calcium residue". He also mentioned he spoke with Hanna before made the video and they agreed on the fact that industrial rodi give a more accurate result. The lower the result is compared to our previous test (ofc tested in the same moment), the less calcium is present in the Rodi and therefore it should be more accurate.

Then, I went to the supermarket, bought a random pure distilled water and did the check; result is quite surprising tho.

CA with MY RODI: 460ppm
CA with industrial/supermarket RODI: 417ppm.

This made a substantial difference.

Now, I have a doubt and here's the question, maybe stupid:
Considering I am using my "home-made" RODI for my tank WC and ATO (the same I used for test 460ppm), should I consider my tank has a total calcium level of 460ppm or 417ppm?

Thank you a lot!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Looking for a suggestion from someone experienced with Hanna Marine Calcium Checker HI758 that knows how the test works.

Following this video --> (Min 2:50) the guy explains to use pure distilled water from an industrial brand to get a more accurate result instead of our home-made Rodi because it will always contains a bit of "calcium residue". He also mentioned he spoke with Hanna before made the video and they agreed on the fact that industrial rodi give a more accurate result. The lower the result is compared to our previous test (ofc tested in the same moment), the less calcium is present in the Rodi.

Then, I went to the supermarket, bought a random pure distilled water and did the check; result is quite surprising tho.

CA with MY RODI: 460ppm
CA with industrial/supermarket RODI: 417ppm.

This made a substantial difference.

Now, I have a doubt and here's the question, maybe stupid:
Considering I am using my "home-made" RODI for my tank (the same I used for test 460ppm), should I consider my tank has a total calcium level of 460ppm or 417ppm?

Thank you a lot!

Using regular distilled water is okay for this. The accuracy is +\- 6% of the reading, so those are within the margin of error. I suggest waiting for the bubbles to subside after shaking it up before testing the “C2”. They will cause a higher reading. Also two tests back to back to ensure a testing error didn’t occur, if you want. But imo, there isn’t much difference between the two numbers to worry about in a reef tank.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Again, Considering I am using my "home-made" RODI for my tank WC and ATO (the same I used for test 460ppm), should I consider my tank has a total calcium level of 460ppm or 417ppm?

marsdahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Again, Considering I am using my "home-made" RODI for my tank WC and ATO (the same I used for test 460ppm), should I consider my tank has a total calcium level of 460ppm or 417ppm?
The test done with the distilled water would be more accurate, as your initial "zero" would be truer than your home RODI.

Edited to add: the two results are still within the testing error, so it's not that substantial of a difference.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks.

Either is fine with me…
You might get a better answer than mine as I usually don’t sweat my calcium as long as it’s somewhere around 450, give or take 20ish ….
I can count on my hands how often I’ve actually adjusted it..
TBH I worry about MG a lot more, and that ain’t a lot

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

An ICP comparison is the best way to get the answer for your question.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. Maybe I formulated my question wrongly.

Assuming the 417ppm is the truest one, should I say that my actual calcium level is 417ppm?

I am asking because I use my homemade Rodi for the tank and it has different starting calcium level.

The test is measuring the CA on 0.1ml tank sample despite the rodi used, right?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused. So you are testing your tank that you use your rodi for not your tank that you use "industrial" rodi for correct? Why is this even a thing? You use your rodi not some other rodi so the test result should be with your rodi as it affects your calcium level. I did not watch the video so maybe (probably) I am missing something.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused. So you are testing your tank that you use your rodi for not your tank that you use "industrial" rodi for correct? Why is this even a thing? You use your rodi not some other rodi so the test result should be with your rodi as it affects your calcium level. I did not watch the video so maybe (probably) I am missing something.
You should watch the video but I saw there’s already other threads on this on the forum. They even suggested to test using Hanna Deionised Water for the perfect result. It’s too expensive anyway.

But from what I read, the final measurement is based on the 0.1ml salt water sample and not on the 9ml rodi.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should watch the video but I saw there’s already other threads on this on the forum. They even suggested to test using Hanna Deionised Water for the perfect result. It’s too expensive anyway.
Oh so you are trying to calibrate the hannah with a standard. I'll watch it when I get home from work to see for sure.

OP
OP
Gabbone

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! The video it’s interesting. Basically you should use pure distilled water with no calcium residue to get your “real” CA number. Since the test is based on the 0.1ml salt water sample the less calcium is present in the 9ml rodi, the more accurate the result will be!

Thats why I bought pure distilled water and test. I got 417ppm. When tested at the same time with my homemade rodi I got 460.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! The video it’s interesting. Basically you should use pure distilled water with no calcium residue to get your “real” CA number. Since the test is based on the 0.1ml salt water sample the less calcium is present in the 9ml rodi, the more accurate the result will be!

Thats why I bought pure distilled water and test. I got 417ppm. When tested at the same time with my homemade rodi I got 460.
Oh! lol now I get it. I have never used the hannah calcium tester didnt know that about them or the test procedure. I use red sea for mine currently. Unless I missed something in the directions you dont dilute the sample with rodi. Was thinking of getting the hannah think ill just stick with what I have.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back