has anyone had luck with one led fixture?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cluster LEDs is an ambiguous definition.

Super High PAR may be a good thing but what is super High PAR?

2000+ Natural Sunlight on a shallow reef or 350 PAR the low point of photo inhibition in some corals?

Never judge the light output of a LED fixture by watts....Just asking the question because there is very little available for the Reef Keeper to make an informed Decision.

Back in the Day, a 400 watt MH for SPS or 250 Watt for LPS & Softies was a lot simpler for the consumer.

Kessils are good, better than Black Box Imports. More vs Less are better for a SPS Reef.

To get the coverage you need to hang them higher which limits the light reflected to the base of large colonies.

I can think of only one 166 watt LED fixture specifically designed to cover a 24"x24" with the intensity of a 400 watt MH. This will be released soon.

To put things in perspective Lighting a Reef is like a Gourmet Recipe. Every chef has their own preference and every diner has their own tastes. There is a lot of debate on this subject.

Bill

I see. I tired to define what the OP was interested in with the cluster thing vs spaced out fixtures like RB and others early in the thread but was not very good at it apparently. I also generally refer to "super high PAR" that exceeds a shallow tide pool as of course that 2000 PAR is not over 12 hours. 525 PAR over 12 hours according to this article exceeds a shallow tide pool which is shallower than many coral we keep and does not account for our hobby grade PAR meters drastically under valuing the violet spectrum as much as 50% lower in the near UV range. Someone with LEDs trying to light up a cube with a single fixture might have a hot spot of well over 1000 PAR and if spectrum corrected would be around the 1500 range. Running that for 12 hours would be super high to me.

Feature Article: Light Data from a Hawaiian Tidepool ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

"To get the coverage you need to hang them higher which limits the light reflected to the base of large colonies." I think that sums up what I have been trying to say with 1 fixture or cluster style LEDs.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually getting rid of my AI Hydra for the EBay 165w Dimmable unit. My corals responded better to the Ebay unit, than they did with the AI LEDs. I also like the fact that I can just dim the EBay unit at will, and not have to program anything to do it.

wrestle1952

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED's have yet to have a frequency of 420nm which is true actinic. Please let me know which LED fixture has reached that wavelength.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back