Have any of you guys had success with this acro?

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.png
Hey there sps dudes! I saw a picture on Facebook of this acro. I believe it might be ausi, however, I have no idea. Anyway, it looks very cool, but I have never tried this species before, and I kind of would like to. So any input about it, and if it holds its color long term, and maybe if you know a vendor I could source a cool piece from would be great. Thanks guys! This particular piece was posted by rra

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
image.png
Hey there sps dudes! I saw a picture on Facebook of this acro. I believe it might be ausi, however, I have no idea. Anyway, it looks very cool, but I have never tried this species before, and I kind of would like to. So any input about it, and if it holds its color long term, and maybe if you know a vendor I could source a cool piece from would be great. Thanks guys! This particular piece was posted by rra
Wow looks great. Im pretty sure its the same species of what joes rainbow acro is. If you find it let me know, also snag the one to the left of it haha!

OP
OP
hinovak

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right, it does look similar to joes rainbow. I have so many tenuis at this point, and allot of the more common species, that I am kind of wanting to branch out a little bit, and just go for stuff that is abnormal. Don't get me wrong, I love the rainbow colors of all the stuff I have, I just feel like I need some different growth structure in the tank now days.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks like A. abrotanoides, which in my experience is really not easy to get going from a wild/mariculture piece. Finally had luck with BC Bleeding Tree and it is doing well (after failing 3 times previously with mariculture). It put down about 6" of base before the first branches though :)

OP
OP
hinovak

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I just got a small frag of one today, that was a mariculture piece. I was thinking they needed super strong flow, based on their thickness. Did either of you have success getting good color to come out on them?

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. Not a tenuis. Is A. Abrotanoides.

http://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0021

You can check out the corallite structure in that link to see that it matches your pic there. Some of the reason they are so tough is stated in there. They are reef-crest corals, so super high light, super high and random flow are needed.

I have not tried this SPS and haven't seen many be successful long term.

OP
OP
hinovak

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. Not a tenuis. Is A. Abrotanoides.

http://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0021

You can check out the corallite structure in that link to see that it matches your pic there. Some of the reason they are so tough is stated in there. They are reef-crest corals, so super high light, super high and random flow are needed.

I have not tried this SPS and haven't seen many be successful long term.
Thanks for the input, I was not under the impression it was a tenuis, I was saying I have so many tenuis and other common species, that I wanted to branch out to rarer acros in the trade.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the input, I was not under the impression it was a tenuis, I was saying I have so many tenuis and other common species, that I wanted to branch out to rarer acros in the trade.
Post up a photo when you get it. Abrotanoids very very strong lighting and waterflow. Also takes a while to grow

OP
OP
hinovak

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we shall soon see if I can get this sucker to grow. I'm running 400w radiums will kessil pendants, and for flow, I have a gyre 150 and 100% and two mp10s at 100% in an 85 gal. Half circle. It has become my mission at this point. If anyone else wants to try, let's go for it, and post your progress!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abros are beautiful but I never seen many people do well with them. I have seen a few but they could have been robustas and not abros.
The picture above seems like it could be one of the green with pink tip abros and I wonder how much blue is really in the coral. They are notorious for loosing any color in the tips with insufficient water or light. If it is blue tipped that might be my holy grail there. I would love to see anyone's pic or opinions.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I finally got a multi-tipped branch starting on mine, previously just had 3 rod-like 7"+ branches. I don't think the flow is right, as the branches I'm getting are only a little over 1/2" thick, but it is growing and healthy, so I am happy.

Some photos, you can one of the older branches off to the side. I actually just cut the ends off of 2 to make a couple of frags and see if they would branch at the cut points.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

out of focus, but you can start to get a sense of the scale of the encrusted base:
IMG_0046.jpg

OP
OP
hinovak

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got a multi-tipped branch starting on mine, previously just had 3 rod-like 7"+ branches. I don't think the flow is right, as the branches I'm getting are only a little over 1/2" thick, but it is growing and healthy, so I am happy.

Some photos, you can one of the older branches off to the side. I actually just cut the ends off of 2 to make a couple of frags and see if they would branch at the cut points.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

out of focus, but you can start to get a sense of the scale of the encrusted base:
IMG_0046.jpg
Wow! Great job! Haha I am amazed at the amount of encrustation that sucker put out before branch growth. Reminds me of what allot of the tabling acros will do. How long did it encrust for, before it went skyward?

OP
OP
hinovak

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing, guess I will be waiting awhile for this guy to possibly do anything...I have the worlds slowest efflo and granulousa, both wild pieces, so I am used to waiting a bit for some pieces.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like A. abrotanoides, which in my experience is really not easy to get going from a wild/mariculture piece. Finally had luck with BC Bleeding Tree and it is doing well (after failing 3 times previously with mariculture). It put down about 6" of base before the first branches though :)
+1, my first thought. A nice one.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg
Looks like alot more then 6 inches of base haha! Looks great

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therman is that the reef raft piece? It's beautiful! Is there any blue to it or is that just lighting?

Mine have always encrusted a huge base before upward growth as well. I would bet once it grows more the branches will get thicker. What kind of flow is in your tank?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back