Hello

ComicalSans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently decided to start getting into saltwater aquarium set ups, particularly learning how to set up and manage coral ecosystems. At the moment, I only have a 10gal tank that has matured enough to introduce a red leg hermit crab and a blue leg hermit crab, but I'm slowly developing the system as I learn. I understand the challenges that come with working with a nano reef system, but frankly it is what I have to work with and I have the time and patience to take the extra care needed, and have been having rewarding success so far taking it slow over the past couple of months. I appreciate any and all advice on inquiries I may have or advice from others who are doing similar set ups to mine!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently decided to start getting into saltwater aquarium set ups, particularly learning how to set up and manage coral ecosystems. At the moment, I only have a 10gal tank that has matured enough to introduce a red leg hermit crab and a blue leg hermit crab, but I'm slowly developing the system as I learn. I understand the challenges that come with working with a nano reef system, but frankly it is what I have to work with and I have the time and patience to take the extra care needed, and have been having rewarding success so far taking it slow over the past couple of months. I appreciate any and all advice on inquiries I may have or advice from others who are doing similar set ups to mine!
Nothing wrong with a 10 gallon as an entry level before investing in equipment and lighting in larger systems. Now is a good time to practice testing, monitoring water quality and feeding techniques as well as water changes and you will then know if a marine tank is truly what you hoped for. Stock slowly and pat attention to livestock when you purchase them looking for normal breathing, no imperfections and ask to see fish eat get familiar with acclimation which is a method of introduction of new specimens

OP
OP
C

ComicalSans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with a 10 gallon as an entry level before investing in equipment and lighting in larger systems. Now is a good time to practice testing, monitoring water quality and feeding techniques as well as water changes and you will then know if a marine tank is truly what you hoped for. Stock slowly and pat attention to livestock when you purchase them looking for normal breathing, no imperfections and ask to see fish eat get familiar with acclimation which is a method of introduction of new specimens
I appreciate the advice! I have started getting familiar with testing requirements (the main focus at the moment being ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH since I was told it can be an indicator that other trace elements are out of balance for the system. The tank was stark empty outside of live sand and live rock for 2 months cycling and stabilizing, but on the tail end I started to see algea growth (I'm colorblind, my SO told me it is green, for potential relevance), and that's what encouraged the investment in the two hermits. They have done a great job cutting back the bloom and getting the tank back to mostly clear. There's a back mounted filter in the system at the moment, and the ambiant temperature of the area the tank is in keeps it at a stable 76°F. Are there any things I should be looking at to make their living situation better, or to keep up the process of preparing for corals or other fish/inverts? I was reading that a 10 gal should only house 2 bonded fish under three inches max, or about 5 small bottom feeder species like hermits. How does this play when considering a living coral ecosystem plan? Would it be a better idea to set that idea to the side for a larger tank?

OP
OP
C

ComicalSans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef. can you please post some pix of your tank?

Welcome!!!
f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif
Sure! But maybe not right now, as I discovered last night (after almost having a heart attack) that one of my crabs is molting, and I just want to leave Ahab to chill since I recently got him and I was learning that sometimes crabs won't molt while at the store from stress and start molting as soon as they relax. Though, I did take pictures of him last night since I was also reading that seeing it happen is really rare, and I was waiting to see if I needed to post them here to see if he is in distress, but I think he's just eating the exo. Though if that situation description prompts people to ask me to post that to a relevant forum section, I can, because I'm still not sure what's going on at the moment but he seems alright (I can see him out of the shell, and he waves his antenna up and down).

OP
OP
C

ComicalSans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! But maybe not right now, as I discovered last night (after almost having a heart attack) that one of my crabs is molting, and I just want to leave Ahab to chill since I recently got him and I was learning that sometimes crabs won't molt while at the store from stress and start molting as soon as they relax. Though, I did take pictures of him last night since I was also reading that seeing it happen is really rare, and I was waiting to see if I needed to post them here to see if he is in distress, but I think he's just eating the exo. Though if that situation description prompts people to ask me to post that to a relevant forum section, I can, because I'm still not sure what's going on at the moment but he seems alright (I can see him out of the shell, and he waves his antenna up and down).
Let me clarify that Ahab isn't OUT of his shell, I meant I could see him poking out. I don't want to cause anyone worry, sorry

OP
OP
C

ComicalSans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
welcome-5.gif

You should consider starting a Tank Thread so we can keep track of your build and watch it grow and change. You would also get a cool Tank Thread badge under your name.
Hm.. I may do that here soon. Is it alright that it's still pretty bare? I am looking for things to make tank more lively, and am open to suggestions, it's just still in the very early stages (in my opinion at least)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you would like link to the members tanks forum there it is link to start a tank thread.
Curved R2R Welcome 3-31-23 2.0.png

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm.. I may do that here soon. Is it alright that it's still pretty bare? I am looking for things to make tank more lively, and am open to suggestions, it's just still in the very early stages (in my opinion at least)
Yes it's absolutely fine to start one without a developed tank. The vast majority of the members on Reef2Reef probably don't have what they would consider to be an established tank but others might.

Don't feel like you have to have a tank that looks stunning to post it! Remember that we all started at the same point. A glass (or acrylic) box with water, rocks and sand :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back