• Poll closed .

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I had a JBJ 45 and was running Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB. Its a beast and loved it. But moving to a new place and I wont have that space in the back. So looking for recommendations on skimmers that will fit inside the AIO compartment of the new Waterbox 50 gallon AIO. The compartment size is 4.5 x 6 inches.

I will have about 6 fish and decent load of corals. Mostly LPS, Softies. I also plan to run Carbon and GFO as needed.

Here are my options and I am inclined on the IM. But if I should not buy it, I am happy to hear from you on your experiences and suggestions. There is a POLL

a. IM Ghost Skimmer - Desktop
b. IceCap 1k
c. Tunze 9004
d. Hydor Koralia Nano Skim

Thank you for your help.

#Reefsquad

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the ghost skimmer for 2 1/2 years with no issue in my IM30L.

I have no experience with the others.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the ghost skimmer for 2 1/2 years with no issue in my IM30L.

I have no experience with the others.
Thank you @mta_morrow. Did you have issues with micro bubbles like what I read? I like it too and its a good fit for the tank. Just worried about the bubbles

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @mta_morrow. Did you have issues with micro bubbles like what I read? I like it too and its a good fit for the tank. Just worried about the bubbles
I never had micro bubbles, even when I first started it.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the tunze nano skimmers and check out the cad lights pls-50 elite II skimmer.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the tunze nano skimmers and check out the cad lights pls-50 elite II skimmer.
I just checked your thread. Beautiful tank. So you have used both Aquamaxx and Tunze. I see how you say that the build quality isnt great. Any specific reason other than that? I will check out the CAD lights as well. Thank you

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked your thread. Beautiful tank. So you have used both Aquamaxx and Tunze. I see how you say that the build quality isnt great. Any specific reason other than that? I will check out the CAD lights as well. Thank you
For skimmate the tunze just doesn't compare to the aquamaxx. Biggest issues I had with the 9004 was loud gurgling noises, constant adjustments, and I felt like I was going to break the skimmer during cleaning. I've seen awesome reviews for the cad lights skimmer and I think I'll be going that route eventually.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either Innovative Marine is releasing a newer model or they are getting out of this style skimmer and NUVO tanks. I got an incredible deal on amazon for a new midsize skimmer for 60$. Could not pass it, so going with this for my waterbox. I will use an eggcrate or acrylic riser which is 4x4x4 and increase the height of this skimmer in the rear sump. This should still still flush and not be visible. Lets see how it goes. But for 60$ one cannot pass it and so I couldnt.

Thank you @mta_morrow and @reeferfoxx for your inputs.

RFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM Lagoon 25 and ran an IM Ghost Skimmer for the first few months. It pulled skimmate just fine, was quiet, and didn't put micro bubbles in my tank. I switched to an Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB only because I wanted to run NOPOX which requires aggressive skimming. I keep the Ghost Skimmer on hand just in case I decide to go back to it sometime down the road. It does make for an aesthetically pleasing aquarium; you can hardly see it when installed and I liked that. I have no experience with any of the other skimmers you currently have under consideration.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either Innovative Marine is releasing a newer model or they are getting out of this style skimmer and NUVO tanks. I got an incredible deal on amazon for a new midsize skimmer for 60$. Could not pass it, so going with this for my waterbox. I will use an eggcrate or acrylic riser which is 4x4x4 and increase the height of this skimmer in the rear sump. This should still still flush and not be visible. Lets see how it goes. But for 60$ one cannot pass it and so I couldnt.

Thank you @mta_morrow and @reeferfoxx for your inputs.
As a heads up, along with your skimmer stand, the cup on this models raises and lowers as well for fine tuning.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM Lagoon 25 and ran an IM Ghost Skimmer for the first few months. It pulled skimmate just fine, was quiet, and didn't put micro bubbles in my tank. I switched to an Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB only because I wanted to run NOPOX which requires aggressive skimming. I keep the Ghost Skimmer on hand just in case I decide to go back to it sometime down the road. It does make for an aesthetically pleasing aquarium; you can hardly see it when installed and I liked that. I have no experience with any of the other skimmers you currently have under consideration.
Hello @RFL Thank you for the info. I loved the Aquamaxx 1.5. That was a beast. I am decided on the IM Mid size. Got it for 60$

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the HOB 1.5 on JBJ 45. Didn't really care for the look. Sold it and got the CAD elite II. Love it. Fits in the back beautifully. Tank is fairly new (4months) so not pulling too much out just yet.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 45 57.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back