Help with Bio security

alp5747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Do to the way my hospital tank is plumbed to the sump doesn’t allow me to quarantine in a separate room from my main tank. The hospital system is about 3 feet from my display tank.

At the moment I was planning on covering up the entire tank to be air tight then running my skimmer line into another room where it is pulling air through a CO2 scrubber.

My question is would that work? and how could I ensure no water/water droplets travelling through the air is going to get in the hospital tank?

Note: it is a closed room so there is not very dynamic air flow.

Hope @Jay Hemdal could help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alp5747 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Do to the way my hospital tank is plumbed to the sump doesn’t allow me to quarantine in a separate room from my main tank. The hospital system is about 3 feet from my display tank.

At the moment I was planning on covering up the entire tank to be air tight then running my skimmer line into another room where it is pulling air through a CO2 scrubber.

My question is would that work? and how could I ensure no water/water droplets travelling through the air is going to get in the hospital tank?

Note: it is a closed room so there is not very dynamic air flow.

Hope @Jay Hemdal could help

That method has been used in the past to try and avoid cross-contamination. When properly implemented, it will work. Just be certain that there is good (positive) air flow into the tank/cover, so that the fish don't suffer from poor gas exchange.

Here is an article I posted on biosecurity:

Jay

OP
OP
A

alp5747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That method has been used in the past to try and avoid cross-contamination. When properly implemented, it will work. Just be certain that there is good (positive) air flow into the tank/cover, so that the fish don't suffer from poor gas exchange.

Here is an article I posted on biosecurity:

Jay
Thanks for the response.
The tank is 160 gallons with 30 gallon sump running a nyos 160 skimmer which is rated at up to 1000 liters or 260 gallon tanks. The skimmer air in take is hooked up to a co2 scrubber so the tank would still be pumped with high amounts of O2 rich air. I do have a ph probe on hand if I need to monitor the ph.
I was planning on covering the entire top of the tank so there is no chance water droplets can enter the tank, and not opening it. I was also going to cover the entire sump. So essentially there would be a small area at the top of the tank and sump that would contain the same air for weeks at a time.

My question would be would the air trapped above the tank cause any problems?

Picture of tank and sump for reference. Keep in mind I have not covered the tank and sump yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpeg
    IMG_0488.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 5

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response.
The tank is 160 gallons with 30 gallon sump running a nyos 160 skimmer which is rated at up to 1000 liters or 260 gallon tanks. The skimmer air in take is hooked up to a co2 scrubber so the tank would still be pumped with high amounts of O2 rich air. I do have a ph probe on hand if I need to monitor the ph.
I was planning on covering the entire top of the tank so there is no chance water droplets can enter the tank, and not opening it. I was also going to cover the entire sump. So essentially there would be a small area at the top of the tank and sump that would contain the same air for weeks at a time.

My question would be would the air trapped above the tank cause any problems?

Picture of tank and sump for reference. Keep in mind I have not covered the tank and sump yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "air trapped above the tank". With good air flow and positive pressure, that won't be a problem. For most parasites, the common way they get from one tank to another is through the transfer of something "wet" - your hands, tank tools, etc. If you can exclude that route of transfer, you should be o.k.

Jay

OP
OP
A

alp5747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by "air trapped above the tank". With good air flow and positive pressure, that won't be a problem. For most parasites, the common way they get from one tank to another is through the transfer of something "wet" - your hands, tank tools, etc. If you can exclude that route of transfer, you should be o.k.

Jay
Thanks for the help jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back