Help with Skimmer

NickB73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used Deltec Skimmer (sorry dont know what model it is), I just want to check if I have it set-up right.

The tank is 326l an has 2 clowns, 1 royal grama and a scooter. All my parameters are ok except calcium which is a little high an Sio2 at 2ppm (but just popped in some Seachem Phosguard to deal with that). The fish are as happy as Larry and i guess in the grand scheme of things there is very little bioload.

So for the first week I have really struggled with the skimmer, even on lowest water height and lowest pump speed it was overflowing within seconds, its now seemed to be settled, currently got it set to almost the highest water setting and pump on midway. Hopefully you can see from the photo the skim is just reaching the top. I just want to check if this is right? Will it get higher as the bioload increases, or should I be trying to raise the bubble further up the cup?

It all seems a dark mystery this skimmer stuff!

PS My Royal Grama only comes out from her hiding places when I have the flow turned off - Is this normal? Other than that, she seems happy enough

IMG_0008.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it some more time. It appears that the tank or skimmer might have had some residue in the water that can make skimmers go nuts. If it has settled down, set the height and it should start to skim soon.

Even though it was used, somebody could have cleaned it with something that needs some time to work off.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

• My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back