Help with transitioning to a bigger tank

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger tank syndrome struck me a couple months ago and I’m in the process of upgrading form a 55gal to a 90gal. My question is that if I move everything from that tank to the new one and then add in some dry rock would my tank still be considered “mature” I should mention the 55 gallon has been up for 3 years

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you talking about adding new dry rock? If so, I do not believe that will be an instant cycle. What are you taking from your old tank to the new one?
There are quite a few more knowledgeable people on this forum that can help. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

Last edited:

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger tank syndrome struck me a couple months ago and I’m in the process of upgrading form a 55gal to a 90gal. My question is that if I move everything from that tank to the new one and then add in some dry rock would my tank still be considered “mature” I should mention the 55 gallon has been up for 3 years
Did you already buy the 90?
If not i’d suggest just going to the 120 it’s almost the same foot print and the 6” of extra depth will come in handy down the road.

OP
OP
B

BaileysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you already buy the 90?
If not i’d suggest just going to the 120 it’s almost the same foot print and the 6” of extra depth will come in handy down the road.
I already got the 90 it was a very very good deal on the tank that I couldn’t say no to.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are you planning on transferring? I added dry dry rock when I transferred everything over (see my build icon) and marinated the rock in old tank water for about 6 weeks. It definitely helped with the phosphates leaching.

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any chance to cycle/condition the new tank with just the new dry rock and new live sand/bottled bac, then move everything over? That's what I'm doing with going from a 34 to 80. I figured that it'd be the least amount of stress on my SPS going over. I don't know if it's the right way, but it seemed the most logical. The dry rock and live sand plus 10lbs of Gulf Live Rock is in the new tank now. I'm going to test it soon "it's been up a week" and if it's good, I'll add some quarantined fish and let them help the tank along for a bit. Once everything looks good and stable to me, I'll move my rock, corals and fish over. Hopefully everything goes well. The water parameters will also match before the move. Good luck with yours.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already got the 90 it was a very very good deal on the tank that I couldn’t say no to.
The. to the op, i would but the new base rock in to use as the base for the scale and add the cured rock from the old tank all at once.
Just watch for PO4 bounce on the off chance that the dry has alot of PO4 to leech. ( you could take some of the dry and put into a vat with NSW and test for PO4 a week or so before to see if you get any leeching.)

Unless you add tons of new live stock the filter capabilities of the old live rock should handle what it did before.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using your old rock and NONE of the old sand, you should be ok to add the new rock slowly without a cycle. I have a 105 & added 30-40 lbs of rock a while back some live some dry and no ill effects.

Do not use the old sand though! Use new live sand.

Back