HELP!!

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP WANTED---if it can go wrong, it will. woke up to ANOTHER alk precep event in my tank this morning at 4:30 am. never fails. Order your first set of supplies for the REEF MOONSHINNER METHOD to better your tank, send of an ati icp test the day before andBOOM something goes south.... hopefully while creating this, I will discover the problem...this will be long

note this is all apex data so without fourth ado-----here is my problem. I am looking for the cause.

SO, I turned on my Neptune dos that feeds the tank alk (soda ash) when the alk demand starts to fall. it went online last night at 19:27:43. pic one is how I control the dose amount. it has always been set at 55 mls, dosing from 12 am to 7 pm for as long as I can remember. I do not use the advance coding for controlling my pumps, so my max dose is 55mls. GOOD
Capture.JPG

pic two is what the dosing amounts looked like when the last time I turned it on. its dosing .6 mls. GOOD
Capture4.jpg

my tank runs at a ph. of 8.3-8.5. GOOD
I dose 4200mls of kalkwasser or calcium hydroxide, OK
my alk is normally 8.2-8.9. it averages over a week at 8.62. GREAT
my ca stays at a solid 450-480. GOOD

on with the story... I wake up, look at my phone with one eye half open and see a lot of spikes on my apex app.

WELLLLLLL---My dos pump has dropped almost 6000 mls of soda ash into the tank 5,917.7 to be EXACT. the first dos (at 19:27:43 yesturday evening) right of the bat was 200mls, when historically it has been .6. and continued to do so until I turned it off. I now have an alk level of 11.20 and a ca of 333. see pics numbered 3 and 4.

Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

the precep was bad on the glass. according to the data, the ph. went from 8.4 at 19:20, to 8.93 by 21.30, then down to 8.39 at 22:20.
ph. remained between 8.35-8.45 after 22:20 and while the pump was still dropping two hundred mls every30 mins, until I turned off the dos pumps at 5 am this morning see picture five an 6.
Capture5.JPG

Capture2.JPG

also, this is the SECOND TIIME now, I have had an event like this happen (massive ALK DUMP into my tank). now that is not a random goof, I think. I just wrote of the first event as user error. I used advance coding on the pumps that time and got it wrong. my bad, but I am innocent this time I THINK, I hope!!

why did my dos pump do this? I have looked and still am looking.

If I can find my old thread on here about the first event, I may learn something... FOUND IT--- dated 7-13-22, but again that was human error that i resolved.

I programed it (not advance coded) to only dose fifty-five mls (pic 1) yet it was dosing two hundred mls (pic 2 and 3). where do I go looking the cause of this?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not using the point and click option in Fusion to setup your dosing tables, you should probably paste the code your using so the resident Neptune experts can have a peek. You indicated this is the second time this has happened, the first was coding error, and you're using some advanced coding, so...

I've been running my DOS for 2 years and it's never screwed up for me (I'm only adjusting everything via the interface, though).

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident controlled dosing would be my guess. Set your safety limits much lower. I assume they are at 200ml right now.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after the first event (july) i went away from / stopped useing advance codeing and after that, until today all has been fine. same interval summary (see below) was in play in november, 3 months after my first event which implies i corrected it. refer back to pic 2.which was in november.. but i will go look.

i have been dosing with this gear for a few years as well with no problems as well. the pump went on line after the last alk test that read 8.24

here is my interval summary.as of this morning.would like help with writting a code so that this pump and others stop running based on a ph spike.
Capture6.JPG

Capture7.JPG

Capture8.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture9.JPG

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident controlled dosing would be my guess. Set your safety limits much lower. I assume they are at 200ml right now.
The most the Trident can influence dosing (at least through the regular interface) is +/- 50%.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55ml/110 times a day is over 6 liters so Trident could potentially up that to 9 liters correct?
Yes, but I thought it was set to 55ml/daily? Again - I really think we need to see the raw code here and compare it to what the interface is showing.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think we need to see the raw code here and compare it to what the interface is showing.
how do i pull that data. the volume per dose should be .5 soooooooolike the november dose chart supports that

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do i pull that data. the volume per dose should be .5 soooooooo
Click on the outlet for the DOS head, then select the icon that looks like a menu in the upper left corner (the icon is the bottom right in a cluster of 4 icons). If you scroll down you can see the raw code/configuration.

Post a screenshot of your schedule for the alkalinity.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not use a trident, I do use a DOS. I have mine set to 238.5ml a day, been using it for about 4 years now without a hiccup.

I just used the "wizard" to start the pump to dose 238.5ml and it's done it's thing just right or the last few years.

Something has to be up with the trident controlled dosing.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click on the outlet for the DOS head, then select the icon that looks like a menu in the upper left corner (the icon is the bottom right in a cluster of 4 icons).
???
can you send me a sreen shot i dont understand you discription of how to get there

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
posted that area once i think but is this waht you want to see? i got confused cause im on a computer not my phone
Capture9.JPG

1671115912243.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The reason I dont use trident control for dosing. I have a dos but it runs on my schedule

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a simple line of code in that advanced section would stop it from dosing if your PH got to high.

If PH > 8.25(use your own set point) then off

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used the wizard and no trident control dosing in the being as well... dose on my sch..... switch to this trident controlled dosing back in july, since i **** up an atempt to use advance coding (first event). trident controlled dosing has been working fine (pic 2 in the orginal post reflects this. im not sure why it took a bigg old CRAP last night. please let it this be another user error.

but i am now going back to no NO NO trident controled dosing for sure now.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back