High electric bill

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so I understand you correctly, you believe that a landmass the size of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, Alabama, Georgia all think the same?
You don't understand me correctly.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Close enough. They still vote for leaders over there? If so, then the people choose their representation(which then created that environment for these absurd rates)..
I agree with this mostly. Those of us not firmly on the left see a lot of problems. We in the rural areas end up "reaping the benefits" of the voters in large urban areas.

Here's a fun one, the municipalities are starting to tell people new construction must be all electric, meanwhile, there is not enough electricity in the state to run everything that is used now, meanwhile, there is a large push to close down the only nuclear power plant left, which happens to be near me. How do they think we will get power ? Rolling black outs for everyone! Probably with a sprinkle of increased generation rates.

Patti Poppe, who ran Michigan's power company for many years is now running PG&e. What she is good at is selling her ideas to state government by promising future appointments to individuals on the energy commission. Great for shareholders, bad for customers.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Actually I do believe that most owners of EV's charge them using roof top solar - at least I do.

If most is 25% of EV owners then sure. 25% is a drop in the bucket.

Trust me, as a New England transplant who hasn't shoveled snow in 7 years. Nobody here, wants to be where you are.

That why California is having a mass exodus? My county had massive growth over the last 4 years. The county said over 70% of them are from California.

Either way solar isn't viable in most parts Montana. Electric costs are already insanely low. And our weather just isn't conducive to solar generation. Between only about 4 months of GOOD sunshine and heavy snow for 6-8 months of the year it just wouldn't produce. I know plenty of people with it and they do great in the summer. They go down to virtually no production in the snowy months and very little in the cloudy months. It is something like a 20+ year return here.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just so I understand you correctly, you believe that a landmass the size of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, Alabama, Georgia all think the same?
The question was about tankless water heaters. I researched this - and agree with @BeanAnimal. The price difference upfront mitigates against any significant savings. They are more efficient, but, it takes a given amount of energy (no matter how it's produced) to increase the temperature of x gallons of water a given amount. With a tankless water heater you're starting with cold water and heating it over a short time to whatever the temperature is set to. With a tank water heater - all of the water in the tank is hot all the time - but it's a well insulated container - thus the savings are not as much as expected overall. So - I would not use one personally. Many of California's counties are 'red' whereas the cities are 'blue'. I don't think anyone thinks that every Californian 'thinks the same'.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three systems and have broken down electrical costs. 25g costs about $41 a year to power. 130g costs about $133 a year to power. The 2000g koi pond costs about $300 a year to run. The systems, our pool, and the FL heat drive up our bills here during the summer and we tend to find ways to combat it. Pool pump was switched to a variable speed and that helped a lot. Back in the fall though we took out our standard water heater and swapped it out for a Hybrid that is saving us nearly $600 a year in electrical.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason you see more californians moving in than anyone else is because there are more californians than anyone else. It's really not any more complicated than that.

$133 a year?? Is the tank just at room temperature all the time?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason you see more californians moving in than anyone else is because there are more californians than anyone else. It's really not any more complicated than that.

$133 a year?? Is the tank just at room temperature all the time?
It is interesting California has 39 million people Texas has 30 million. But - I don't think it's as simple as what you're saying. The taxes and bills in CA do seem extremely high compared to the rest of the country: "Outbound rate is defined as the number of people moving out of a state as a share of the state's total number of movers. At the top of the list are large states like New York (64.41%), California (63.22%), New Jersey (60.41%), and Illinois (60.11%), all of which had outbound rates higher than 60%. New Yorkers moved to warmer states like Florida or more affordable states where they can still commute to work, like New Jersey. In contrast, Californians moved to the states where the tech industry has been booming since the pandemic, like Texas and Arizona. People from New Jersey and Illinois moved to either Florida or their neighboring states."

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’m not wrong or off. At least I don’t think I am. In my area, electric is priced very well

This is the highest bill I can access from my billing history
A690CCDF-7833-4D87-9DD8-BE8DE825A8AC.jpeg

This is more of an average bill
4F3EAAB6-E568-4A13-855C-1F40F6A747C9.jpeg

I can’t find anywhere on the bill or in my account that tells me the kwh charge and any fees

This is less than a third of our cost so in your case in ROI is triple the time of somebody in NY - if cost of installation is equal.

I wish I was paying circa $200 for 2400 kWh - your electricity is near free.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't understand why those quotes are so ridiculously high, the wholesale cost of the panels and batteries are very low at the moment all around the world.

This is what I dont understant either. Guy from sunrun quoted circa $36-37K for 18 panels, then said the equipment portion (panels, inverters, etc) is $7900. I said you want to charge $29000 for one day of labor to put it up, he said eh, well, so you see, - I said see ya!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I cut my Electric bill down by going 100% LED for the house lights. Changed the Toilets out to lower flush water volume flush, I’m on a Well so my Water Bill is on my Electric Bill The bills are creeping back up, due to rate increases. My Aquariums are all LED, and 24Vdc Drive Pumps. I’m all Electric, biggest Energy Hog is the Water Heater.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I cut my Electric bill down by going 100% LED for the house lights. Changed the Toilets out to lower flush water volume flush, I’m on a Well so my Water Bill is on my Electric Bill The bills are creeping back up, due to rate increases. My Aquariums are all LED, and 24Vdc Drive Pumps. I’m all Electric, biggest Energy Hog is the Water Heater.
My condo had a electric water heater, it was the first thing to go after I closed on the purchase, in 2018. I signed on the dotted line, next morning I was dragging in a 50g gas water heater to take it's place. This was pre COVID and I didn't want to deal with tankless heater mods for install @ the time.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A heat pump water heater might be worth looking into. Some areas have great rebates to get one.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting California has 39 million people Texas has 30 million. But - I don't think it's as simple as what you're saying. The taxes and bills in CA do seem extremely high compared to the rest of the country: "Outbound rate is defined as the number of people moving out of a state as a share of the state's total number of movers. At the top of the list are large states like New York (64.41%), California (63.22%), New Jersey (60.41%), and Illinois (60.11%), all of which had outbound rates higher than 60%. New Yorkers moved to warmer states like Florida or more affordable states where they can still commute to work, like New Jersey. In contrast, Californians moved to the states where the tech industry has been booming since the pandemic, like Texas and Arizona. People from New Jersey and Illinois moved to either Florida or their neighboring states."
Ha! Don’t forget about Vegas…they have ran our housing market up, their sports teams are moving here and now Hollywood 2.0 is being built so they can run from taxes and politics. It’s crazy out here any more…

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condo had a electric water heater, it was the first thing to go after I closed on the purchase, in 2018. I signed on the dotted line, next morning I was dragging in a 50g gas water heater to take it's place. This was pre COVID and I didn't want to deal with tankless heater mods for install @ the time.

I replaced my 50g natural gas water heater with a tankless gas model and my electric went down an average of 5-10$ a month in summer and approx 15-20$ a month in winter

Why pay to heat the garage 50g water tank all night long in the winter? I only heat water now when water needs to be heated.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is less than a third of our cost so in your case in ROI is triple the time of somebody in NY - if cost of installation is equal.

I wish I was paying circa $200 for 2400 kWh - your electricity is near free.

That’s probably why there’s no programs by me for solar, it’s a hard sell when electricity is so cheap. Believe me, I would love solar and have tried to get it.

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the deal, this is a thread for those of us dealing with a particular problem, high electric bills.

These comments are designed to be "Internet funny" not helpful.

We all know the left, and the right have all gone crazy, that's for face book.

So let's get back to solving high electric bills with alternatives.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my using the tankless water heater. Specifically the NR-501 OD-NG. The noritz rep seemed to think my plan was pretty feasible.

I apologize for letting this derail the discussion.
My electric bill is less than $100.00 a month in the summer with the air running and 3 tanks, which is what I getting at. You read something else into it. An global warming has me shoveling snow once each year for the last 4 or 5 years.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My electric bill is less than $100.00 a month in the summer with the air running and 3 tanks, which is what I getting at. You read something else into it. An global warming has me shoveling snow once each year for the last 4 or 5 years.

That's insanely low, your house must be sitting on a direct feed from China :)

No seriously, how many kWh did you use last month?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back