Hot weather season- How is everyone coping?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet that uses a couple amps.
Just installed 67 - 420 watt solar panel producing 19 of my 24 hours of power usage a day. Duke power limits the size of your solar array or I would have added about 10 more. I'm happy with this though.

IMG_4533.PNG

MRL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Both my 2 tanks been around 79 last week with indoor temp at 80 outdoors over 100. Can't afford the Southern California Edison electricity.
2. I have switched light cycles, to take run day lights after nine when peak price are over. Also keeps tank cooler

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC and keeping an eye on on tank temps. Have my emergency frozen 2 liter bottles in the freezer ready to go and fans ready as well just in case. Been hot here in the Central valley the last few weeks. 3-4 days of 107+ at a time :p

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 fans blowing across the surface to keep it around 79-80, can only go that low without a chiller and/or AC when the weather outside has been around 90-96 in SoCal, I tend to keep my tank at 78. Without the fans, my tank goes up to around 84. I'm also putting ice packs to help cool it down more. I'm not sure if it helps but I had been leaving the cabinet doors open to prevent heat trapping inside since I have a sump.

Endoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in the garage; average indoor temperature is around 95 to 100 F in the summer. Very challenging to keep the tank temperature under 80F. These are what I do.......
1. Install a central fan. Work very good at night. Draw the cold air in and pull the hot air out.
2. Run reverse light schedule.
3. I have two chillers. Set 1 degree apart. If one can't pull the temperature down, the second one will kick in.
4. Ice packs replaced every 2-3 hours.
But if power out, my tank will still crash.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just broke record for most consecutive days over 110 here... Today should hit 116.

House doesnt get above 76 & tank stays stable at 78.

No safeguards in place for any power outages or other issues so be on the look out for my tank crash sale :)
Hi Mesa, Here in Scottsdale the only peace of mind I have is a young 3 year old ac unit. Believe me I think about “the melt down” all the time. Stay cool!!!

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mesa, Here in Scottsdale the only peace of mind I have is a young 3 year old ac unit. Believe me I think about “the melt down” all the time. Stay cool!!!
Hey neighbor!

I moved to Scottsdale in 2020 from Southern Ca... Purchased home in Mesa in 2022 and luckily we have a dual unit set up & the tank is in a nice cool spot... I dont think Ive seen my temp get above 78... Now my RODI / mixing station in the garage... THATS a different story.

Last edited:

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey neighbor!

I moved to Scottsdale in 2020 from Southern Ca... Purchased home in Mesa in 2022 and luckily we have a dual unit set up & the tank is in a nice cool spot... I dont think Ive seen my temp get above 78... Now my RODI / mixing station in the garage... THATS a different story.
Checked out your “tank thread” very nice, congrats. Have you stocked your tank yet? If you want a fun and cheap way to do it. Join Az. FRAG club. They meet once a month. They have coral auctions at each meeting. Opening bids are $5. Who doesn’t like a good deal right?
IMG_2703.jpeg
IMG_2704.jpeg

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked out your “tank thread” very nice, congrats. Have you stocked your tank yet? If you want a fun and cheap way to do it. Join Az. FRAG club. They meet once a month. They have coral auctions at each meeting. Opening bids are $5. Who doesn’t like a good deal right?
IMG_2703.jpeg
IMG_2704.jpeg
Ahh thanks! Just made a new post on Build Thread with what I just ordered... Fish and coral arriving end of the week.

Will def look into the Frag Meet... What LFS do you trust around here?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh thanks! Just made a new post on Build Thread with what I just ordered... Fish and coral arriving end of the week.

Will def look into the Frag Meet... What LFS do you trust around here?
So, best LFS are (for corals) Reef Monsters in Mesa. (For fish) Aquarium Arts in Mesa. (For corals) LE Corals (my fav). Good places, good people.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we turn on the TV every day since the last two weeks, there has been an array of states with excessive heat and heat warnings and storms producing power outages.

How is everyone coping with the heat and their tank temperatures?
Have you taken or planned extra steps for tank protection?

State of Florida has a disaster going on in their waters with coral bleaching. A couple of groups and university planted frags and small colonies of coral in the waters to prorogate new coral species and in hopes it would promote new growth and they are now bleached. Its hard to believe we are once again enduring this heat wave and Hopes that everyone stay safe and cool
One of my tanks gets up to 84 degrees!! I constantly put ice packs in it. Bought a chiller but of course the hook ups are not included and I cant find them in stock…

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One of my tanks gets up to 84 degrees!! I constantly put ice packs in it. Bought a chiller but of course the hook ups are not included and I cant find them in stock…
BRS- Home depot (pricey), some LFS sell hose by the foot in addition to Amazon
What unit is it?

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living here in AZ this really isn't anything new this time a year... Little extra AC since we don't require much for heating during winter

we have had 110 plus for over 25 days and count ing in a row with no end in sight, we had 3 days at 119, in a row, and 7 days at 115 in a row......

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back