How big of a sump?

tankreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m thinking about doing a ground up reef tank build, and thinking about 170 gallon tank. I was hoping someone could help me with how big of a sump size in gallons that I need? I heard .25 and .3. The issue is space. I need to find a sump that’s 44” long that’s approx 50 gallons, not sure what company to go with or if I can get away with 40 gal. I plan to do a reef mat, skimmer, and algae scrubber. Any ideas, I just don’t want to DYInsump. Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The critical number is that it will hold the run off when the power goes off. You can probably get away with a 20 gallon capacity that is only running half full when the power is on. I am estimating a 10 gallon (max) return from the DT when the power goes off. Most tanks run with about an inch of water (or less) rise in operating depth in the DT, so figure how many gallons in an inch of surface area in your tank and that's all there is to worry about for capacity.

For room for equipment, a skimmer, a refuge, a rollermat are common space fillers in the sump. FIgure out what you want and that's all you need to consider, everything else is fluff.

Anybody else have more "fluff" to add to my list of things that I missed? :cool: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :thinking-face: :D :cool:

Start a build thread, or whatever they call those threads now. And have fun, this is supposed to be fun not a science project that you have to turn in.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Figure how many gallons in an inch of surface area in your tank and that's all there is to worry about for capacity." second this

Then do the same with whatever sump youve picked to set your water height (skimmer in mind?)

Id recommend the biggest you can fit.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back