Thinking of upgrading to IM EXT 170 (Talk me off the ledge?)

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I constructed my own tank and stand about five months ago and now manage five thriving reef tanks. So far, I've experienced minimal losses—just a few zoanthids—and thankfully, no fish casualties across all tanks. I diligently test water parameters and employ Automated Water Changes (AWC) for each tank while continually learning more about reef keeping. Admittedly, I'm quite passionate about this hobby and am now considering consolidating four of my tanks into a new, larger system.

I've set my sights on the Innovative Marine 170 EXT. My original DIY stand, built with robust 2x6 inch beams and 3/4 inch high-quality plywood, has served well but offers limited space for a sump. I managed to fit a 20-gallon tall sump, but it left only about five inches of clearance for controllers and other essential equipment like CO2, UV, and ozone systems. It works, but it's a tight fit, and I find myself wishing for more room.

The aesthetic appeal and functional design of the IM 170 EXT are major draws for me, particularly the ample space in the cabinet and the accessibility provided by its side-opening doors. I've received the green light from my spouse to upgrade, and I'm leaning heavily toward this model.

However, I've found surprisingly few reviews and videos about the IM 170 EXT online. I'm eager to hear from others who might have experience with this tank. What are the pros and cons? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Con: I would get your own sump instead of the tank, stand and sump deal. Their sump is 49.8" and interior of the stand is 53.5"...the sump is centered inside the stand instead of off to one side. There is no room for items to sit on the inside of the stand floor...example ATO container.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Con: I would get your own sump instead of the tank, stand and sump deal. Their sump is 49.8" and interior of the stand is 53.5"...the sump is centered inside the stand instead of off to one side. There is no room for items to sit on the inside of the stand floor...example ATO container.
Much cheaper as well. Which sump manufacturer do you recommend?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much cheaper as well. Which sump manufacturer do you recommend?

actuallty no...
Its cheaper to get the entire package if they still have that 40% off custom fab offer.

But i have a 150EXT complete, with plumbing on top, because i didn't want to mess with plumbing, and after doing math and cost, it comes out way cheaper, unless you go schd 40, and not 80 for plumbing and use cheap chinese gate / ball valves.

But the one thing i wish on my sump that i had was the option of a auto fleece roller.
I would kill for the option to add a clearsea, or a redsea roller without extensive modifications required, or having to sacrifice my skimmer portion.

Also to note, yes you have very little room on the side but i think you have enough room up front for stuff.
Im not entirely sure as i think the 170 your getting the option is the RFS-59 and not 39 like my 150.

But if you do go the piece seperately solution, don't expect to save that much more, if any.
Do it more because you want to customize the plumbing from square one, and because you want a better feature sump.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I will look into sumps. I have never had a fleece roller as I am used to manually changing fleece every 2 days already. (Have huge rolls of the stuff)

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an EXT112 and I have the room inside the stand for ATO due to depth but it would have been nice to have the option of a fleece roller. The Bashsea sump allows you to switch between roller or socks. The 150 has the 36” depth too. So different having that front to back space.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an EXT112 and I have the room inside the stand for ATO due to depth but it would have been nice to have the option of a fleece roller. The Bashsea sump allows you to switch between roller or socks. The 150 has the 36” depth too. So different having that front to back space.
Do you know what model of Bashsea would fit in the 170?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sumps ok if you plan it out.
I built an 8020 cabinet behind it for my 15g ato, 10lb co2 tank, and all the electrical, plus my light fixture.
Overall its a very nice system. The tanks made well, the euro bracing is a plus, the 30" wide makes a big difference.
The depth from bottom to surface is 19". The tanks display is 135g's.
Running the sump at 7" gives you around 25g's for a system total of 160.
I have the full system. Here is the tank and what I am running in the sump.
For the price its a great deal, imo.
20240422_114849.jpg
20240306_083701.jpg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sumps ok if you plan it out.
I built an 8020 cabinet behind it for my 15g ato, 10lb co2 tank, and all the electrical, plus my light fixture.
Overall its a very nice system. The tanks made well, the euro bracing is a plus, the 30" wide makes a big difference.
The depth from bottom to surface is 19". The tanks display is 135g's.
Running the sump at 7" gives you around 25g's for a system total of 160.
I have the full system. Here is the tank and what I am running in the sump.
For the price its a great deal, imo.
20240422_114849.jpg
20240306_083701.jpg
I can't remember if you were involved or not, I read a thread recently about the EXT models coming apart near the Weir? Need to run a bead of silicone? I want the 150 of this tank, just trying to justify it to myself, but that 1 weird design flaw sort of sours it for me just a little, not gonna lie...

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember if you were involved or not, I read a thread recently about the EXT models coming apart near the Weir? Need to run a bead of silicone? I want the 150 of this tank, just trying to justify it to myself, but that 1 weird design flaw sort of sours it for me just a little, not gonna lie...

???

the weir is part of the rear glass of the tank.... Can you explain?

I have the 150 ext, and its hands down one of the best tanks ive owned.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
???

I found the post, it was posted by X-37B (I thought I remembered them in the thread), you can read here:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
???

they linked the correct one in that thread, this is the actual thread I was thinking about posted by Cdubz or something, but X-37B was also in that conversation too :)

TheReefPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with the 100 INT as I wanted the tank more flush against the wall. Package included plumbing and sump. System’s been up for a bit over a month without issue. As above wish I had more storage space for my ATO to live in the sump and am missing out on running a fleece roller, but for the price getting a 15mm thick glass with an aluminum stand was worth the sacrifice.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they linked the correct one in that thread, this is the actual thread I was thinking about posted by Cdubz or something, but X-37B was also in that conversation too :)

great... now i have another thing i need to keep an eye on...

Lucky for me mine isnt showing that issue yet.
I guess only time will tell.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great... now i have another thing i need to keep an eye on...

Lucky for me mine isnt showing that issue yet.
I guess only time will tell.
Sorry :-( I wasn't trying to sour anyone's experience with their tanks... It really does look ok like a beautiful tank and it's still the one I am leaning toward, for the cost you can't really beat it... It just kills me that I will have to pre-repair something to keep it from going wonky... It's like "This car is great, but you have to glue down the hood or else it's gonna come off...

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry :-( I wasn't trying to sour anyone's experience with their tanks... It really does look ok like a beautiful tank and it's still the one I am leaning toward, for the cost you can't really beat it... It just kills me that I will have to pre-repair something to keep it from going wonky... It's like "This car is great, but you have to glue down the hood or else it's gonna come off...

no your absolutely correct, and im glad you brought it up.
It saves me from having to use lvl10 googlefu and finding out if its only me, should it ever happen.

*goes knocking on redwood for luck*

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what model of Bashsea would fit in the 170?
I believe it's the Pro series. some people like socks, some like rollers. the socks you just need to change every 4-5 days do to organics breaking down. I've heard of roller malfunctioning and suddenly advancing to the end of the roll. so there's pro's and cons to both.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
???

There were a few who had the black acrylic come off or pull away.
IM should have bonded it with 2 part epoxy, imo, not silicon. They are now using something thats not black acrylic, dont remember what it is.
Anyway the acrylic pulled away where the overflow is.
I looked at mine and found where the acrylic is bonded to the glass you could see a gap. I just ran a bead of silicon and filled it in.
This way the water flows over the weir and not into the gap first. The force of the water going into the gap may have caused the acrylic to seperate.
Anyway my ext 50 is the same and I just filled it in. Not a big deal but it should be addresed at IM.
With that its an easy solution if that was the actual issue.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back