how many use purigen in there reefs ?

zoacrazy42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use purigen and chemipure elite?
been running both for 7 months in my 29gal nano I thought water was clear before. When added both water was real clear, Works well I'd say I just recharged first time, so I left the bag out for a week made a difference in water quality . Still playing with it to see the pros and cons.

Last edited:

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents

I used purigen once in my sump many years ago. I did not see much of a change in my phosphate. GFO has worked better for me.by the way clear water doesn't mean Phosphates are low enough. Carbon and detrius removal will make water appear clear. Yes???

Stubaca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following. Seems to really come down to the system and what equip you are running. Good info!

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use purigen in my nano tanks.. I have a few small packets I rotate out every month.. I do notice it does keep the tank more manageable (I am using the small bag in the canister filter)
I am not running it in my 29gal tank, but that is not where I am having to constantly watch all my levels.

Personally I like it a lot.

Last edited:

Bryanracing95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Purigen on my 200 gallon system along with a large reef octopus skimmer. My water has been crystal clear since running it for about 3 months now. The Purigen actually has not even changed color yet. My skimmer is very efficient so it handles most of the bio load. Lately I have been noticing my lps corals not expanding as much, I believe this is from the chemical build up in the tank from the various toxins the corals produce. I have since been using carbon that I put in last week to clear the toxins up, I plan on running both medias going forward changing the carbon monthly.

A great media bag for the Purigen and carbon is sold by bulk reef supply. It's a drawstring small mesh nylon media bag and works excellent. I have not had good luck with seachems bag, always became brittle and broke. One great thing I have noticed is that the Purigen does not get the bacterial slime coat on it or the nylon media bag, even after weeks of use.

I do not run reactors just hang media bags by the tank return to sump, works very well as he returning water agitates the media in the bag.

Bryanracing95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to note is that Purigen focuses on binding organics, does not provide export for chemicals, toxins, etc. Using carbon is recommended along with Purigen for a comprehensive filtering media.

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
May I ask how long you need to replace a new bag ? I have 30gal and I also have been using Purigen fo 9 months. I replace it every 2 months. I really don't know it is too long or too short of time. Your input is highly appreciated.
So from my experience with freshwater tanks, you only need to recharge/replace it when it turns a brownish color. Just keep an eye on it and when it gets ugly recharge/replace :)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from my experience with freshwater tanks, you only need to recharge/replace it when it turns a brownish color. Just keep an eye on it and when it gets ugly recharge/replace :)
After 7 years they are probably an expert on Purigen now ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back