OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be very beneficial if surface area is lacking in the tank for sufficient bacteria to grow on. Though I think I would prefer rock for things like sponges to grow on in a cryptic zone type area but these can certainly supplement very easily.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the timing of the additions may be important. Once aluminum-containing materials have been in the water for a while, they will get coated with lots of stuff like organics and bacteria that likely reduces any release of chemicals. So any concerns from these materials may only come when first added.

With products that stay in a long time, it may not be any ongoing issue, while phosphate binders that are repeatedly replaced may be somewhat more of a concern. :)

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting theory.

Wish i got a picture this morning but its looking better tonight.

de65372fd2adf4aab20ac8e6fdda1572.jpg

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this was mentioned, but i'm assuming our results will vary depending on how much of the media we use in relation to our total volume size correct? So, a large system with a small block or two may never show signs of any issues and eventually be eliminated long term as suggested by @Randy Holmes-Farley; where as a smaller system with several large blocks very well may show symptoms and take much longer to subside?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this was mentioned, but i'm assuming our results will vary depending on how much of the media we use in relation to our total volume size correct? So, a large system with a small block or two may never show signs of any issues and eventually be eliminated long term as suggested by @Randy Holmes-Farley; where as a smaller system with several large blocks very well may show symptoms and take much longer to subside?
Good point. I'm use two square blocks in 250 gallon total water volume.

Knowing the concentration of Al in your system does level out any size ratio concerns though I know not everyone is interested enough to send in a Triton result.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I'm use two square blocks in 250 gallon total water volume.

Knowing the concentration of Al in your system does level out any size ratio concerns though I know not everyone is interested enough to send in a Triton result.

I'm using one large block and one small block in an 80. Can you buy those triton tests online and do them yourself?

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following this. I was just about to change up my fuge by removing all of the rock (35-45lbs) and line the bottom with plates of this stuff. I've got plenty of rock in the main DT, just thought a little extra wouldn't hurt and give the fuge a clean look. Also wanted to try cheato instead of culerpa, figuring the plates would not give anything for the cheato to hang up on as compared to rocks.

cmac330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using one large block and one small block in an 80. Can you buy those triton tests online and do them yourself?

Yep, Unique Corals has them and I believe are the US distributor.

I would also like to report that based on my experience, and what I have read from others, that Marine Pure has been safe with anemones 2+ years.

I'm sure everyone here is aware of this, but since I haven't seen it posted, don't forget that Triton is indiscriminate in its measure of elements. It will simply tell you how much of an element you have not what form it is in, the compound in which the aluminum in marine pure is found may be harmless, while other forms that would read elevated aluminum are not. I believe Triton is more of a tool for diagnosing rather than a diagnosis itself.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton Labs is based in Germany. You submit your samples to Unique Corals and they ship it to Germany. You won't be able to do it at home unless you happen to have a $100,000+ ICP/MS at home. [emoji14]

It gives you a full suite of parameters for your tank so I like to submit one annually to see trends.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along I just put my new system together and have no live rock at all in it. I have 2 4x4x8 blocks half a gallon of spheres and .75 cubic feet of the new 2x2x2 cubes.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Unique Corals has them and I believe are the US distributor.

I would also like to report that based on my experience, and what I have read from others, that Marine Pure has been safe with anemones 2+ years.

I'm sure everyone here is aware of this, but since I haven't seen it posted, don't forget that Triton is indiscriminate in its measure of elements. It will simply tell you how much of an element you have not what form it is in, the compound in which the aluminum in marine pure is found may be harmless, while other forms that would read elevated aluminum are not. I believe Triton is more of a tool for diagnosing rather than a diagnosis itself.

Yep, first post states that it will just be to determine if Al does leach out into the tank. Not what form it's in.

Problem is some including the owners state it does not leach anything at all.

http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure-faq.php
What is MarinePure made of and will it leach anything into my water?

MarinePure is an inert aluminosilicate ceramic that has been fired over 1000°C. It will not leach into tank or pond water.

Will MarinePure ROCK affect my water chemistry?

No, MarinePure ROCK is made from an inert ceramic. It has no effect on the water chemistry. One caveat, it also does not add beneficial calcium that some reefers desire.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have Marine Pure products been proven to have this issue?

All ceramics can leach what they're made of.

I used the seachem matrix stuff, and black sand, high aluminum as well. Corals were fairly closed, but pretty bland looking.

After getting rid of each of those the corals have looked very nice ever since.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bunch from Scott at MACNA last year.:) But I have Amazon Prime so the discount doesn't beat free shipping.:)

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji leather looked it's normal self this morning which is retracted before lights on but not that angry tight ball it was yesterday morning. That was different. I never did see it fully extend it's polyps last night.

Someone above mentioned anemones my RBTA's (8 of them) and my GBTA (1) have looked great and no changes. None of my other corals have looked any different either.

Let's see I haven't done a stock list
Fiji Yellow Leather (8" diameter maybe)
Duncan (50ish heads)
bunch of red mushrooms (15+)
ORA red goniopora (3ish" ball when fully retracted)
purple haze monti (2+" frag and growing)
8 RBTA's
1 GBTA
1 small head of some kind of euphyllia coral

Other corals that I Can't rely on to judge reactions
1 frog spawn that hasn't recovered from a bad alk spike about 2-3 month ago
1 birds nest that also hasn't recovered from that bad alk spike
some kind of gorgonian coral (3ish") that's finally recovering from that alk spike a few months ago

Then I also have a LOT of sponges.

Fish:
Yellow Belly Blue Tang (~8")
A. pyroferus mimic tang (~6")
Desjardini Sailfin Tang (~5.5")
Yellow eye Kole Tang (~4+")
One spot fox face (~6")
2 Orange side fairy wrasses (~5")
Potters Leopard Wrasse (~5")
2 False Percs (~3.5")
Banggai Cardinal (~3.5")
Blue Dot Sleeper Goby (~5")
Yellow Watchman Goby (~5")
Flame Angel (~3.5")
Coral Beauty Angel (~3.5")
Bi-Color Angel (~3")
Matted file fish (~3")
9 blue green chromis (~1-2")

1 fighting conch
a few turbo snails
several other various snail
handful of blue leg hermits
tons of worms
999231409312840932850293840329849832749324809238408923794832709483 various pods

lots of aiptasia in the sump where I like them with a couple in the display

Feedings:
4x per day my automatic feeder dumps in some pellets NLS marine and NLS algaemax mixed together (12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm)
2-3x per day I dump in some meaty foods
2-3 sheets of nori per day.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just caught up on this thread and I have some of the information that you're attempting to get here. My system is between 250 - 280 gallons and Ive done a few Triton tests throughout the system life. In my first test, I did not have the Marine Pure media in my tank at all. The Triton test showed some Al present in the system, but nothing out of control. This test was submitted in September of 2015.

upload_2016-5-5_14-30-45.png

I then added 2 Marine Pure blocks (8x4x4) to my sump in order to increase the filtration capacity without hogging up all the sump space. Ideally, I thought adding 3-5 blocks would be perfect, but I just never saw the turn around I was expecting (though this was not related to the Marine Pure that Im aware of).

This test was submitted December 2015

upload_2016-5-5_14-33-19.png

Definately an increase in Al, but not causal effect that I could blindly attribute to it. Granted, I dont have leathers, but the corals that I did have were under attack from other invaders, which undoubtedly lead to their downfall. I swapped out DT in January, but kept the same water, system, rock, media,fuge, etc all together. I sent off another Triton test in March 2016 with the following results:

upload_2016-5-5_14-35-35.png

The MarinePure blocks have been in the sump since late September /early October of last year. Seems like there may be some leaching of Al, but its not exponential by any means. Be interesting to see what your results are from the testing as well. :D

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just caught up on this thread and I have some of the information that you're attempting to get here. My system is between 250 - 280 gallons and Ive done a few Triton tests throughout the system life. In my first test, I did not have the Marine Pure media in my tank at all. The Triton test showed some Al present in the system, but nothing out of control. This test was submitted in September of 2015.

Thanks for the info! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back