OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do like about these blocks is size of the pores. I have noticed quite a few worms going in and out of them and pods crawling all over it. I don't believe sintered glass has that?

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do like about these blocks is size of the pores. I have noticed quite a few worms going in and out of them and pods crawling all over it. I don't believe sintered glass has that?

Yea I noticed that as well in my spheres. I have a ton of small pods running in and out of them.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recently purchased a product call Siporax. Siporax is a sintered glass media that serves the same purpose as the marinepure blocks. My understanding is that it's been around for ages and used in both freshwater and marine applications. The pores in the media are microscopic and nothing like the marinepure media. It's in a "hoop" shape rather than a block or sphere, it also stacks nicely. Seems to be less popular here in the US than it is abroad. There are some amazing Brazilian SPS tanks the make heavy use of this media.

Jahalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. I have a marine pure block that I was just about to add to my tank. I think I will hold off for now after reading some of this and give it a little more thought. Don't want to fix what is not broken. I have a bag of Siporax in my QT tank. Never had a problem with it, but then again never had a detailed water analysis either.

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone heard of a product called Detox Blox made by Cerameco? I use lot of it in my system and I've been having issues with zoas closing up. I believe it's ceramic filter media.

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50g Tank, runnig on Marine Pure and Phosguard(also aluminim) for over 2years, mixed reef,with lethers, clams, anemones and shrimps. No visible issues.

Oh yea I forgot to mention I run Phosguard as well.

Again I don't know what my AI levels are but I don't seem to have any problems growing coral, fish, or red flatworms.

Persun87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would ceramic frag disc and rock potentially leach AI also? Or is it just what the marinepure is made out of

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 6 marine pure blocks in my tank, total water volume around 360gallons. Have no adverse effects on anything other than toadstool mushroom.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a product call Siporax. Siporax is a sintered glass media that serves the same purpose as the marinepure blocks. My understanding is that it's been around for ages and used in both freshwater and marine applications. The pores in the media are microscopic and nothing like the marinepure media. It's in a "hoop" shape rather than a block or sphere, it also stacks nicely. Seems to be less popular here in the US than it is abroad. There are some amazing Brazilian SPS tanks the make heavy use of this media.

I've seen those setups with much larger cylindrical siporax rings then normally seen for sale, at least here in the US. Also, I've noticed they use a LOT of them stacked together.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would ceramic frag disc and rock potentially leach AI also? Or is it just what the marinepure is made out of

Anything made from any metal has the potential to leach materal they are made from into the water. Which is why its strange the makers of these claim it will not.

But as mentioned, just to recap, that doesnt necessarily mean its a major issue. Maybe minor. Or not at all.

Last edited:

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a large Marine Pure block to my sump about 2 years ago because I have Tonga Branch rock which isn't very porous. My tank is 180 gallons and I've successfully kept SPS, LPS, zoas, softies and nems. I only do a 10 or so gallon WC every other week and I run Matrix Carbon only if needed and Phosguard, also only as needed.

I recently set up a Red Sea Reefer 350 (about 75 gallons) and have a small block in the sump as well as a gallon of the spheres, which I add for pods. So far so good with that system as well.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I have had zero issues with nutrients. If anything they are to low. I'm just doing this out of curiosity with how much one block will (or wont) leach into a 180 after one month and how it will effect a leather coral. Particularly a yellow fiji leather that tends to be more tempermental then most leathers and higher demands for light and flow.

It does not seam to effect most other corals from reports of people running them with lps and sps.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji leather looked it's normal self this morning which is retracted before lights on but not that angry tight ball it was yesterday morning. That was different. I never did see it fully extend it's polyps last night.

Someone above mentioned anemones my RBTA's (8 of them) and my GBTA (1) have looked great and no changes. None of my other corals have looked any different either.

Let's see I haven't done a stock list
Fiji Yellow Leather (8" diameter maybe)
Duncan (50ish heads)
bunch of red mushrooms (15+)
ORA red goniopora (3ish" ball when fully retracted)
purple haze monti (2+" frag and growing)
8 RBTA's
1 GBTA
1 small head of some kind of euphyllia coral

Other corals that I Can't rely on to judge reactions
1 frog spawn that hasn't recovered from a bad alk spike about 2-3 month ago
1 birds nest that also hasn't recovered from that bad alk spike
some kind of gorgonian coral (3ish") that's finally recovering from that alk spike a few months ago

Then I also have a LOT of sponges.

Fish:
Yellow Belly Blue Tang (~8")
A. pyroferus mimic tang (~6")
Desjardini Sailfin Tang (~5.5")
Yellow eye Kole Tang (~4+")
One spot fox face (~6")
2 Orange side fairy wrasses (~5")
Potters Leopard Wrasse (~5")
2 False Percs (~3.5")
Banggai Cardinal (~3.5")
Blue Dot Sleeper Goby (~5")
Yellow Watchman Goby (~5")
Flame Angel (~3.5")
Coral Beauty Angel (~3.5")
Bi-Color Angel (~3")
Matted file fish (~3")
9 blue green chromis (~1-2")

1 fighting conch
a few turbo snails
several other various snail
handful of blue leg hermits
tons of worms
999231409312840932850293840329849832749324809238408923794832709483 various pods

lots of aiptasia in the sump where I like them with a couple in the display

Feedings:
4x per day my automatic feeder dumps in some pellets NLS marine and NLS algaemax mixed together (12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm)
2-3x per day I dump in some meaty foods
2-3 sheets of nori per day.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Make that 9 RBTAs. One just split tonight. Which is interesting. I haven't had one split with out feeding it. I havent fed them in a while because of this. At least I haven't fed them directly. They catch food flying by them all the time. My circulation pumps never turn off and I broadcast feed.

New split so they are shrunken for now and will grow quickly if its like the past.

I started off with 1 RBTA and 1 GBTA about a year ago. The GBTA has never split.
2a7044bfa3a74256f6fd1cd86e8c44b2.jpg

Oh and i did forget a few more things.

A cleaner wrasse (~1.5")

Way to many asterina stars.

2 common starfish from kp aquatics

1 rapidly growing purple short spine rock urchin

Several peppermint shrimp

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back