jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things to note for the day

1. Yellow Leather still hasn't fully extended its polyps yet. But didn't turn into an angry ball again
2. One of my RBTAs split
3. My duncan never opened up today

My duncan gets ticked off though pretty easy usually with fluctuations in phosphates up or down. But unusual for it to be completely retracted all night.

55ed1043492159373e724d388149f596.jpg

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always use marinepure in all my tanks. (5) No problems at all.
I have see corals nurserys use only this media as filtration for years. And no live rock at all.
Just my experience
If you check my signature, that tank use 3 mp blocks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always use marinepure in all my tanks. (5) No problems at all.
I have see corals nurserys use only this media as filtration for years. And no live rock at all.
Just my experience
If you check my signature, that tank use 3 mp blocks.

Do you keep leather corals?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Duncan is super sensitive as well to any changes. I've kept a large colony of Duncans in the high Al for two years now with no problems.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you keep leather corals?
Just 1, a green sarco, get it 1/2 inch diameter, now is 3 inches diameter (in 8 months). Put it there to check if the media afect it, so far, I do not see problems, but mainly I have SPS and LPS.

That sarco is hard! (has been in different tanks, all with mp tho)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just 1, a green sarco, get it 1/2 inch diameter, now is 3 inches diameter (in 8 months). Put it there to check if the media afect it, so far, I do not see problems, but mainly I have SPS and LPS.

That sarco is hard! (has been in different tanks, all with mp tho)

Thanks. :)

Falk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use marinepure and when first introduced usually my corals close up because of the dust that is impossible to rinse off but that will go away in a few days.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another note that is unexpected and I don't have a good explanation for. My pH drastically dropped last night. Its also not a pH probe fluke/interference as I have two of them in two totally different areas of my system. One in the back of my tank's external beananimal overflow box and the other 15ft away in my basememt sump.

One thing I can think of is a drastic increase in bacterial population in the block producing CO2. This would correlate with rapid decreases in other nutrients as they grow which my duncan hates.

9b76ce0c7d80bd7ab732b0c5b1126ca3.jpg

m0nkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll contribute my tank info. I've been running Marine block for a few years in all my tanks. No side effects. I do keep zoa, some leather and mushrooms. I do not get Triton tests. I switch out carbon and gfo every month since day 1. water change x2 a month

I read these side effects from an older thread awhile ago.. Even though I don't find any side effects with them, it still kinda scares me deep down. So i might be switching to Siporax just for a peace of mind.

1) 2yrs old 100gal anemone tank - (10 BTA, 1 MaxiMini, 1 Gig, 3 Haddoni) - two 8x4 marine block in the tank for 3 months now. No adverse effect on anemones
2) 1yr old 150gal SPS tank - mostly SPS with some zoas - two 8x4 marine block in the tank for 1 year now. No adverse effect on SPS and zoa
3) 6 month old 250gal LPS tank - leathers, mushroom, zoa, chalice, anemone - one 8x4 and 2 bags of sphere balls. No adverse effect on leathers and mushroom. My WWC bounce grows like a champ.

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add one more piece of what I would consider relevant info.

Like with any manufacturing process there exists the possibility for "lemons" to be produced. It happens with cars, clothing, cell phones, and furniture. I have no idea how many blocks, plates, and spheres that marine pure produces per year but the law of averages says that at least a small percentage of them will be defective. How many people have purchased a return pump from a very well thought of vendor only to find it had problems right out of the gate? Should that be viewed as an indictment on the vendor as a whole? I don't think so. So it is very possible that some of the people that are reporting issues are simply folks who have gotten the lemon of the batch. I know we all want everything we put in our tanks to be 100% perfect every time but the fact is that it is just not reasonable to think that every consumer will always get a product that is perfect and free from defections. Some folks just get some bad luck of the draw, it is bad considering what gets lost in the process but nevertheless it is going to happen to some people at some point.

I apologize for my rant. I work in retail and I guess that is just a theme for my day so far.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not speak in general, because I have only test MP in my tanks...but it works. Now I am building a Frag Tank only with MP. (Blocks 8*4*4)
Triton test show some Aluminum leash as I have read in this forum, but I have not seen any adverse reaction on my corals (And I do not have easy ones, well some are jeje), or other friends tank corals. I have even use MP as plugs for frags with great results. But is warranty of nothing.

1 Block have a big surface and it suppose to have the same porosity for bacteria like 80 lb of good porous dry rock (more or less). So what happen when you add 80lb of dry rock to a ready working/cycled tank? (Hint: Cycle)

Good post here, is great to see other users experiences.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And FYI drastic above was not catistrophic. My normal lows for the night are in the 7.9's

BUT this is even more unexpected. What ever it was is still at work depressing my pH.

By now my pH is easily above 8.0. I will have to watch this closely tonight and may have to bring online my CO2 scrubber.

Highlighting times from yesterday late morning after pH hit 8.0 compared to now
9b52e38cf33e32ce24e09a384cdf1731.jpg

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notes from tonight.

pH still slightly lower

Here's another perspective from over many days showing the pH being pushed down since last night more so then normal

8397c0e515a528128d40dd9fbb9d904f.jpg

Leather is open but polyps fully retracted all night
a34d8edac2b26b989605ac6efd19c074.jpg

Duncan semi out
e68832906245315f9857b4034dc15615.jpg

RBTA babies grow up so fast
b06d05176196c67bcc1c0e5c35eb2387.jpg

And another big change worth noting that is very unusual and what concerns me more then any other thing that has happened so far.

I have a lot of sponges. They are great filter feeders. I love them.

They are shedding and reducing in size quickly. I noticed some shedding yesterday but didn't think anything of it and thought my sponges looked smaller but wasnt concerned or thinking anything of it.

Here's one of the easiest sponge to see as its right in front.
642848bcf44c24c3677daa2cd9d824fb.jpg

Here it is with a big gaping hole in th middle of it.
5178f766a0b9fd97d1906dc87038ec7e.jpg

I would attribute it to nutrients. I highly doubt its an Al issue? I need to either start dosing or feed more.

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges normally have a "exhaust" hole that's in the middle of it. Intake through the sides and pull through body and vent in middle

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back