How much flow is enough?

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max Nano G2 XL with a display water volume of 29g. The return pump pushes about 400 gph and I have an AI Nero 3 set to reef crest varying between 75% and 100% flow, so between 1500 gph and 2000 gph.

Is this enough flow for an sps dominant tank, or should I consider adding another Nero 3?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For an sps dominant tank, you will need 2-4 AI Nero 3 or similar small pumps. It is tricky to give enough flow, without blasting the skin off some corals. I have an IM25 and currently have 3 powerheads in there. Soon, I will remove the biggest pump and add 2 small ones.

Edit: That being said, start with 1-2 pumps and add more as the frags grow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jnbrex

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an sps dominant tank, you will need 2-4 AI Nero 3 or similar small pumps. It is tricky to give enough flow, without blasting the skin off some corals. I have an IM25 and currently have 3 powerheads in there. Soon, I will remove the biggest pump and add 2 small ones.

Edit: That being said, start with 1-2 pumps and add more as the frags grow.
4 Nero 3 in a 29g seems a little excessive, no? I could definitely see myself needing 2.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would add one more....you should be able to get enough random movement between two pumps and your return in a 29. I have 4 in my SPS dominate 105g and none of them run higher than 50%.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back