How often are you guys scraping your glass?

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How often do you guys scrape your glass? It seems like I scrape my glass every 2-3 days. Would it be prudent to pick up some snails or just keep scraping?

My snails leave little tracks , so you get lines all through ur glass haha. It’s like a broken roomba

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails leave little tracks , so you get lines all through ur glass haha. It’s like a broken roomba
I have a pincushion urchin in right now and he’s been cruising around looking for GHA on my rocks. I had some lobophora algae in my tank early this year and he destroyed that and hasn’t come back.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go in streaks:
-- sometimes I do a quick, daily scrape
-- sometimes I leave it alone for a week or more and only do it 'cause, by then, it's looking nasty

*front glass,,, sides not as often since tank is in a nook and sides aren't that noticeable,,, back only when I absolutely have to

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of depends on what's on the glass. I use the soft side every 3 or 4 days and the scraper every week or so.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go in streaks:
-- sometimes I do a quick, daily scrape
-- sometimes I leave it alone for a week or more and only do it 'cause, by then, it's looking nasty

*front glass,,, sides not as often since tank is in a nook and sides aren't that noticeable,,, back only when I absolutely have to
My tank had a flowing mane of hair algae last time I scraped my back glass because my cycle crashed and just went crazy. It now has a slight coating of brown algae. Probably gonna scrape the back soo.

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 4 days work from 5 trochus snails… still need to clean the glass though
33D6451A-0A3E-46C7-867E-B019CC579F4C.jpeg
FDD88E04-DDB6-4C3B-9E47-13CE26389A30.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiancée often complains when she can see too much. Usually only on the front and sides since the tank is in our living room.
I think our key difference is fiancée. After being married for almost 20 years I just ignore her complaining. Ive honestly left the side glass to the point where you can’t see through the coraline algae. I probably scrape the side glass a few times a year.
At times I think I’m too lazy for this hobby.

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As needed, which is currently twice a week. I have a similar observation that snails do a terrible job of cleaning the glass. I suggest that you handle the glass and let them deal with the rocks. I credit my conch (with some help from the Court Jester Goby) for doing an outstanding job cleaning the sand.

Back