How to bring a tang to nori

smoothie7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small hippo tang and he seems to be afraid of the clip that holds the nori. Not sure if he was ever fed nori at the LFS but I would like to get him to be comfortable with the clip. I ended up putting some garlic on the nori but that didn't seem to attract him any. I left it in the tank for about 5 hours and then removed it. Not a single nibble. Any suggestions?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small hippo tang and he seems to be afraid of the clip that holds the nori. Not sure if he was ever fed nori at the LFS but I would like to get him to be comfortable with the clip. I ended up putting some garlic on the nori but that didn't seem to attract him any. I left it in the tank for about 5 hours and then removed it. Not a single nibble. Any suggestions?
you could try the even simpler approach of rolling a piece up and rubberbanding it to the top of a piece of rubble rock as a weight, and placing it in a convenient spot for your tang.

Which brand nori are you using, just out of curiosity?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using LRS brand Nori picked up at the LFS
cool, I'm not familiar with the brand but looking at the ingredients it seems fine. Just make sure it isn't expired, animals have a way of knowing when something is stale... Definitely give that method I mentioned a try.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out using Brightwell Aquatics garlic power on the nori, not only will they come to it because of the smell of the garlic, but it is supposed to be good for their immune system. My Naso tang attacks the seaweed clip with nori in it. He can barely wait for me to get itin the tank. Just a few drops is all you need, then spread it around.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep providing it, eventually it will click for him.

I recently started adding nori to my tank, and the first day or two the fish completely ignored it.

Yesterday when I added it, the fish (including my tang) completely eradicated the nori sheet within 15 minutes.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine wouldn't go anywhere near green nori for weeks, so I switched it up and tried purple. He went nuts and ate like he was starved half to death. I made a mistake and ran out of purple and figured I'd try some green again. Now he won't eat purple.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine wouldn't go anywhere near green nori for weeks, so I switched it up and tried purple. He went nuts and ate like he was starved half to death. I made a mistake and ran out of purple and figured I'd try some green again. Now he won't eat purple.
lol that sounds about right

Back