How to Clean a Used Tank

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I bought a used Fluval EVO 13.5 to use as a QT and I need to clean it. I have no clue how to clean tanks and I need help with it. I took all the equipment out of it. I'm going to fill it with water and put some chemical in it but I don't know which one is the best (citric acid, bleach, vinegar?). Also, how do you remove the water/chemicals after you let it sit and clean the tank so it doesn't affect the tank later on?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I bought a used Fluval EVO 13.5 to use as a QT and I need to clean it. I have no clue how to clean tanks and I need help with it. I took all the equipment out of it. I'm going to fill it with water and put some chemical in it but I don't know which one is the best (citric acid, bleach, vinegar?). Also, how do you remove the water/chemicals after you let it sit and clean the tank so it doesn't affect the tank later on?
What does it look like? Is there a lot of coralline build up? Just dried algae? Something else? You really don't need any chemicals unless you need to dissolve some calcium/coralline build up.

pearlela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spray with 50/50 mix of white vinegar with water to dissolve the build up and disinfect. Scrape off with a brush and rinse off with top water . Dry it and you are done .

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Since its only some algae film could I just use like a couple cups of vinegar instead of a gallon?
If it just a light algae film, as mentioned just spray on a 50/50 mixture and wipe off.
A simple rinse will do after.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's dry a pack of new Scraper razors works just fine as long as its glass. Being so small you could buy 5# of citric acid off of amazon and let it soak 24 hours. It would look brand new afterwards. Don't waste your time with vinegar.

wzf106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used citric acid and left the tank i the garage a few days with the pump running

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If it's dry a pack of new Scraper razors works just fine as long as its glass. Being so small you could buy 5# of citric acid off of amazon and let it soak 24 hours. It would look brand new afterwards. Don't waste your time with vinegar.
While citric acid works well, so does vinegar.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its only some algae film could I just use like a couple cups of vinegar instead of a gallon?
You can wipe it down with a sponge and some vinegar/water. Algae film is not going to do any harm to the tank and neither will any traces of vinegar. Just clean it however you want, rinse well with tap water, and then start setting it up.

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting tons of stuck on algae and other gunk off my tank when I got it used, nothing was working easily until I used vinegar and also the original Mr.Clean magic erasers. They got the glass spotless and all the hard algae right off

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in the bath tub and use citric acid or vinegar. Let it soak for 2 days then rinse with the shower head. Wipe it, rinse again.
Idk if I like the idea of filing it in a bathtub.. the tub is curved(mine is anyways), meaning it will only contact the very corners of the glass. Should be fine with a piece of wood, or something to give a flat surface, under it

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if I like the idea of filing it in a bathtub.. the tub is curved(mine is anyways), meaning it will only contact the very corners of the glass. Should be fine with a piece of wood, or something to give a flat surface, under it
Yeah, you know best. It would fit in mine, that’s why I suggested it. A rubbermaid tub would be good as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back