How to remove algae from sand bed

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newer tank that finished cycling but I have lots of nasty hair and other algae on the sand bed. I cant seem to suck it out during water change because the algae seems to weigh too much. Whats best way to manually remove it? Is there a good net that I can use to net the sand and collect the algae while and having the sand drop through the net?

Any other method?

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Diamond watchman Gobie. All they do is sift/turn over the sand all day long. I've got 2 (paired up) in my 90g and 1 in my 50g and haven't vacuumed the sand in years. They keep it looking great.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going you have a lot of algae on the sand for the first 4 months (ugly stage) , try a couple of conches

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plain silicone tube (no suction fittings or anything) and direct it into a filter sock I clamp to side of sump (or bucket). Probably don't need the sock into a bucket but it does make clean up a tad easier and if you accidentally suck up something it's easier to find (snails). Should be enough suction to take out the algae and sand even pretty big clumps. Also why you don't want to use a hose with any connections as those nozzles will cause clogging. Anyway, just suck up the first layer of sand and the algae. Get your extra sand (you do have an extra sand bag lying around, don't you?) and add it back to where you want. I add sand maybe 2x a year more or less. Depends. As long as it's top layer you don't have to worry about screwing up your bio filtration. I just give the new sand a quick rinse in tap water, drain in a sieve and add to tank. Good luck!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
adding conches (fighting or tiger/strawberry), cerith snails, nassarius snails, sand dollar urchin, and manual removal will solve the issue. perhaps increase your flow a little to keep food suspended in the water rather than settling on the sand, and feed a bit less so there is less food/nutrients available for the algae to feed on. increase filtration(if you're skimming wet, try dry) or increase the amount of time the skimmer is on(if its not on 24/7). lastly adding beneficial bacteria could help outcompete the algae for space

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my tanks (180g 4 years old and 200G 2 years old) have green algae in the sand bed. I have a diamond goby in 1, he helps but is not enough. I also have conchs, lots of snails, lots of hermits. I also try to syphon the sand but have the same issue of most algae being too heavy to go up even though i suck up some sand. Any other advise out there?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other advise out there?
Remove the sand? I see these tanks with nice clean sand but I have never been able to get there so I just quit using sand in all of my tanks. I'm not getting nas many scratches in my tank now lol.
All a goby did was bury corals. I used to buy nassarius snails 100 at a time and the surface of the sand stayed ugly. Tried a couple of conchs with similar results. I just gave up and run all bare bottom now.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that the hose is 3/4" inside diameter. You get the right diameter hose and it's going to suck up algae, sand, small rocks, snails, slow shrimp, curious small gobies, few coral polyps, maybe a new frag if you're not careful. I just loop it and squeeze to control flow. That's also why you need soft hose - squeezable. Don't try anything with a valve, it'll clog for sure (I don't use my Python for sand/gravel removal).

Also I am in favor of all the clean up crew and nutrient control recommendations and use them myself but every now and then I find they need help in my tanks.

markron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that the hose is 3/4" inside diameter. You get the right diameter hose and it's going to suck up algae, sand, small rocks, snails, slow shrimp, curious small gobies, few coral polyps, maybe a new frag if you're not careful. I just loop it and squeeze to control flow. That's also why you need soft hose - squeezable. Don't try anything with a valve, it'll clog for sure (I don't use my Python for sand/gravel removal).

Also I am in favor of all the clean up crew and nutrient control recommendations and use them myself but every now and then I find they need help in my tanks.
I also have a Kole Tang who eats the junk off rocks. And a lawnmower blennie. But the tang bothers him. If I siphon out sand, can I add new sand without causing a cycle? I've heard something about adding it with a length of PVC pipe 신용카드 현금화. Is there a contraption that can be used to siphon but leave sand?
I've pretty much got control of my rocks with hair algae but need help with my sand! My whole sand bed has grown hair algae all over it and ive tried siphoning but it cant even suck up the algae, i just end up sucking up my own sand bed. i try removing it by hand and still just pick up sand and then the hair algae grows right back within a few a days. I bought some turbo snails and they cleaned the back of my tank and my rocks but i need to know how to clean up my sand bed. Help!

I also have a Kole Tang who eats the junk off rocks. And a lawnmower blennie. But the tang bothers him. If I siphon out sand, can I add new sand without causing a cycle? I've heard something about adding it with a length of PVC pipe. Is there a contraption that can be used to siphon but leave sand?

Thanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back