How to tell if your aquarium sucks ("What did you just say, Fellman?")

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent aquascaping points. Nano tanks are particularly difficult due to the small dimensions. Eventually, for most reefers (myself included), a few LPS and such end up on the sand bed.

My personal take on this is that a few corals (on their own live rock pieces) artfully placed on the sand bed can actually enhance the aquascape. The trick is to know when to stop!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a coral and no place to put it, I build a stand for it, like these. Then all the corals have a natural looking place to call home.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked back at pictures of how my tank looked and said to myself a few times that my tank sucked. We have all been there at least once. To be honest right now I think my tank sucks. Not because of the structure, coral placement, or the equipment, but because I am in a financial pinch and have lost control on the cyano on the back wall and a few spots of algae have sprouted... I have done my best to keep all equipment out of the tank. I have zero powerheads in the tank, but I do have some loc-line parts visible in the top 4 inches of the tank.

I have said locally and on many different forum threads that equipment in the display distracts from the overall look of the reef aquarium. A beautiful rock structure and beautiful corals go a long way, but when there is a big powerhead, HOB pumps, heaters, etc sticking into the water, my eyes are drawn to the equipment and how it should be hidden better. I do believe the non-reefers out there do not always pay attention to these things and the tanks look great, however it is the first thing I see...

I don't know if I agree with the avoid nooks, crannies, and caves part though. I purposely build a decently sized cave on the left side of my tank. This was done to house lower light corals and a sun coral. It is also a great spot for my larger tang and cleaner shrimp to hang out. The rest of the tank structure has a pillar look with lots of open space and table rocks on the top for placement of corals. This was done by my own vision but I did take cues I liked from other builds. Basically the theories behind what I was trying to do were done in the past, however I combined them together in a way that was original in my own design.

But long response over, my tank does suck right now and I need to make it suck less... I am in for a long weekend of tank work and hopefully when I am done it will suck less than when I started...

rip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well spoken unique coral.
I been reefing since 92'93' can't remember,I fell headlong
In love with corals.there was very little technology early on no Internet just people and books.
I have failed many times but kept going til I found the answers I needed.
The technology has really taken a stronghold in the hobby.
I'm a old guy and just don't grasp all the tech stuff like younger

Or smarter reefers.
This is a passion not a hobbie to create , propagate ,promote
Our passion of reefs ,I hope all realize the time may come
We may be the generation that see severe restrictive limits on marine life.
So treating each frag fish invert as it my be the last.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that there should be crannies and caves...the important part is to strike a balance. :) I notice that the photography rule of thirds seems to apply to reefscaping.

My tank has been successfully moved, though I'm in far too much pain to aquascape tonight (I'm hitting about an 8.5 on the pain scale after the breakdown, transport, and restart - fibromyalgia being partly to blame.)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powerheads are so bulky you CAN'T hide them
My powerheads are so old they are made out of wood and run by steam. The instructions say to keep in a cool bilge away from grog.

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well spoken unique coral.
I been reefing since 92'93' can't remember,I fell headlong
In love with corals.there was very little technology early on no Internet just people and books.
I have failed many times but kept going til I found the answers I needed.
The technology has really taken a stronghold in the hobby.
I'm a old guy and just don't grasp all the tech stuff like younger

Or smarter reefers.
This is a passion not a hobbie to create , propagate ,promote
Our passion of reefs ,I hope all realize the time may come
We may be the generation that see severe restrictive limits on marine life.
So treating each frag fish invert as it my be the last.

A person after my own heart! But I do have a couple of reasons why reefs suck. First and foremost the bottom 1inch of glass is covered in coralline. Really, clean that stuff up lastly, I'm sorry guys but I'm going to say it get mad if you want but frag racks in the display. Never saw one in the ocean. Ok so here is mine, rip away, get back at me:

190543B4-310B-4D7A-BEA2-C09E12BD1F62-202-0000001047528E99_zpsf9e84ae0.jpg

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice writeup.

Removed my old reply. I don't want to be mean to others.

Last edited:

LSKreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to turn my 220 freshwater tank into a reef tank so I just started with mine aquascape and added the water a few weeks ago letting it go through its cycle. I put my own touches in it behind the tank is a plaque my mother made many years ago she now passed away so it has a lot of meaning to it. So I carrier the scene out into the tank with Live rock and a light house. It my little place in New England where I was originally from. I have yet to stock it with coral or fish except for the star polyps which I took from nano tank. Also I don't have a drilled tank not able to hide the equipment effectively. It may not be much but it has some sentimental aspect to it as well as a little piece of home for me.

Full View Tank.jpg
Side view tank.jpg
Island view.jpg

tantaros420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so my tank only partly sucks

yeah i know i need to hide those cords and skin out the stand but i like the open stand i sit and look at my fuge just as much as i do the main tank
photo 1 (3).jpg

but i find the worms pods and macro algae just as interesting as the fish and corals

tantaros420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A person after my own heart! But I do have a couple of reasons why reefs suck. First and foremost the bottom 1inch of glass is covered in coralline. Really, clean that stuff up lastly, I'm sorry guys but I'm going to say it get mad if you want but frag racks in the display. Never saw one in the ocean. Ok so here is mine, rip away, get back at me:

190543B4-310B-4D7A-BEA2-C09E12BD1F62-202-0000001047528E99_zpsf9e84ae0.jpg
i like the coralline growing over the back and sides its so i dont have to paint it to block the light

KologneKoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,

simply brilliant article. I was smiling and cuhckling the whole way through. I hope others take this to heart. What goes around comes around.

Love the skimmer!

Jamie

SuperSaiyanGoku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome article

What a great article. I actually thought it was going to take a "no pun intended" approach meaning that are reef tanks do suck calcium and magnesium and such. What I thought about this article that was so inspiring was that even though we all think that we are experts at dabbling in this field, we have all started with those ten gallon tanks with lots to learn. As a long time fish enthusiast and a fish store sales person, I am educating people everyday about the art of keeping a fish tank. Whether it is a planted tank, or a cichlid tank, I am helping people get into this hobby just as someone helped me get into this hobby. As an avid "reefer" myself, I find that research is so important. Reading and researching has always been my forte. As a musician, (Violin player) I have found this almost second nature to do these things. I love the aspects of this article when it talks of the people that are too arrogant to share their frags. This was all too true as I see this happening at the fish store that I work at. Part of the hobby is having people get together and share their knowledge and experiences. I love to talk to people about their set ups, which really makes me have new inspiration to go home and appreciate my own tank, (hence inspiring a water change, hehe). This hobby has started out for me as a part time hobby has now become a full time job that I enjoy almost as much as my job teaching and playing the Violin. I say enjoy and congratulations to all that have had fun and frustrations in this hobby. Dreams really can come true. Cheers.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome points by all, and thanks so much for the kind words. I am loving how everyone is taking this in the spirit in which it was intended...And, as a reefer with more than a casual interest in aquascaping (My first MACNA presentation was called "Aquascaping for the Aesthetically Challenged"- I still give that talk!), I love how it's sort of mutated into an aquascaping discussion as well...Some of my fave topics!

Bravo everyone for your frank and honest discussions and sharing!

Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a work in progress...I managed to shove a 10g tank under the stand so once I get an hob overflow I should have a place to hide equipment - yay! But anyway...how's the scape look? I still need to add more water.

I wanted it a little more open for better flow and somewhat more active fish.

1385157288863.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back