Hygger 4 line dosing pump emptying reservoir into tank

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the $67 Hygger 4-channel dosing pump intermittently for the past year and am not impressed with its reliability. Recently I have had two major issues with this pump. One is that one of the heads does not allow the rollers to move at all. I suspect that the peristaltic tubing is the cause of this. My second problem was that one of the heads drained my entire reservoir into the tank. I am so happy that it was a pretty dilute solution of magnesium and my parameters did not fly into the danger zone. I watched this video that came up when I looked up my problem: .
I noticed that my Hygger pump uses the same heads and that mine were also installed in the way that this guy claims to be "backwards". I have since switched the three-pronged plastic ring around to see if it would allow the pump heads to roll easier. My next fix will be to replace the peristaltic tubing but, I want to know if anybody has any suggestions or knowledge on whether there are better dosing heads on the market that are compatible. Any help would be fantastic. My tank is almost 5 years old and I am starting to get tired of manually dosing. My sps send their regards.

IMG_2859.jpg IMG_2858.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the $67 Hygger 4-channel dosing pump intermittently for the past year and am not impressed with its reliability. Recently I have had two major issues with this pump. One is that one of the heads does not allow the rollers to move at all. I suspect that the peristaltic tubing is the cause of this. My second problem was that one of the heads drained my entire reservoir into the tank. I am so happy that it was a pretty dilute solution of magnesium and my parameters did not fly into the danger zone. I watched this video that came up when I looked up my problem: .
I noticed that my Hygger pump uses the same heads and that mine were also installed in the way that this guy claims to be "backwards". I have since switched the three-pronged plastic ring around to see if it would allow the pump heads to roll easier. My next fix will be to replace the peristaltic tubing but, I want to know if anybody has any suggestions or knowledge on whether there are better dosing heads on the market that are compatible. Any help would be fantastic. My tank is almost 5 years old and I am starting to get tired of manually dosing. My sps send their regards.

It's really not worth trying to save money on something as critical to the health of your tank and its inhabitants as a dosing pump.

You're playing russian roulette.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't share my opinions on hygger products or their questionable videos of fish husbandry on social media but I will say I wouldn't use one of their dosers.ever.your taking a huge risk with your tank

Last edited:

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the Jebao one from many years maybe more than 10 years. No big issues except my mistakes and neglect.
I dont think the heads are installed "backwards" all my 6 heads are assembled the same "wrong way" but are still working.
Just check the tubing they are probably clogged, open the head, extract and clean the tube injecting some vinegar with syringe. I'm doing this twice per year just to be sure they are not clogged.

My second problem was that one of the heads drained my entire reservoir into the tank.
Not sure what the problem was. Did the doser behaved crazy or just your reservoir was on a higher place than the aquarium and syphoned

OP
OP
CRath

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Jebao one from many years maybe more than 10 years. No big issues except my mistakes and neglect.
I dont think the heads are installed "backwards" all my 6 heads are assembled the same "wrong way" but are still working.
Just check the tubing they are probably clogged, open the head, extract and clean the tube injecting some vinegar with syringe. I'm doing this twice per year just to be sure they are not clogged.

Not sure what the problem was. Did the doser behaved crazy or just your reservoir was on a higher place than the aquarium and syphoned
I am pretty sure that the tubing is drying out and getting stiff. this would explain why it allowed a siphon to form and empty the reservoir.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 173 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back