i believe cuprisorb is a joke, am i mistaken?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be clear this is not a-- is cooper bad thread or are my cooper levels bad or where is copper coming from thread. this is a --why is a product is not lowering elements or reacting as defined by the label thread.

ok CUPRISORB THEY SAY
CupriSorb™ is a powerful adsorbent of copper and heavy metals AND
Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to a deep blue black color. Use MultiTest™ Copper to monitor copper. When exhausted, CupriSorb™ may be discarded or regenerated.

I have been running this thru one icp test to address low other "heavy metals". Now 30 days later copper is showing up with no real decrease in other heavy metals from icp test to icp test. AND the media is not DEEP BLUE as stated. its still has its original color....

soooooooo is my media exhausted even thought its still the same color it was when i added it? I’m running 4 -100ml pouches that should treat 240gallon on a 150 gallon setup.

ICP TEST starting copper levels 0
added cuprisorb to address other metals (not copper).
30 days later
NEXT ICP TESTcopper showing up in the water at 1.45 and no real decrease in "other metals".
i dose kalk, sodium bicarbonate, reef roids and moonshiner trace elements that’s all. media is in the media basket.
1677088940918.png

i believe this product may suck and relabeled snake oil.... your not debateing my opinon, your debating with back to back icp test..thoughts? or recommendations for better heavy metal exsport products. i mean trial and error right?

Last edited:

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this on a FOWLR tank that I had dosed with copper, but needed to get the tank ready again for reefing. It did remove my copper (based on Hanna) and the beads did turn blue.

A year later, my tank is supporting acro frags just fine.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow is the media getting?

I imagine they are getting little flow through the media, and not absorbing much of anything

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are placed in my a media basket just underneath my fliter floss chamber. so water in, then tru filter floss then thru the cuprisorb

they are getting the best flow possible.

current setup
1677088823702.png

revised setup. let's see if it helps in a reactor. you can see it's not blue at 30 plus days into adding it. 20230222_125917.jpg

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are placed in my a media basket just underneath my fliter floss chamber. so water in, then tru filter floss then thru the cuprisorb

they are getting the best flow possible.

current setup
1677088823702.png

revised setup. let's see if it helps in a reactor. you can see it's not blue at 30 plus days into adding it. 20230222_125917.jpg
I imagine the reactor will work better than the basket. I'm guessing the batter may have ben channeling through the media and not having much contact time, and being exposed to air would probably not help the color change situation

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could use some poly pad in the media tray

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully used cuprisorb to remove copper in the past. I have not attempted to use it to remove other heavy metals.

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could use some poly pad in the media tray

OP, I used poly pads in conjunction with cuprisorb, both passively, placed in the dividers of my sump

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be clear this is not a-- is cooper bad thread or are my cooper levels bad or where is copper coming from thread. this is a --why is a product is not lowering elements or reacting as defined by the label thread.

ok CUPRISORB THEY SAY
Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to a deep blue black color. Use MultiTest™ Copper to monitor copper. When exhausted, CupriSorb™ may be discarded or regenerated.

I have been running this thru one icp test to address low other "heavy metals". Now 30 days later copper is showing up with no real decrease in other heavy metals from icp test to icp test. AND the media is not DEEP BLUE as stated. its still has its original color....

soooooooo is my media exhausted even thought its still the same color it was when i added it? I’m running 4 -100ml pouches that should treat 240gallon on a 150 gallon setup.

30 days later
NEXT ICP TESTcopper showing up in the water at 1.45 and no real decrease in "other metals".
i dose kalk, sodium bicarbonate, reef roids and moonshiner trace elements that’s all. media is in the media basket.
1677088940918.png

i believe this product may suck and relabeled snake oil.... your not debateing my opinon, your debating with back to back icp test..thoughts? or recommendations for better heavy metal exsport products. i mean trial and error right?

Wow, pretty aggressive post with lots of other explanations than a bad product.

For starters, Icp may be inaccurate at that low level.

which company?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Cuprisorb many times to remove copper "medication" from QT tanks. And it turns blue very quickly. I'm not sure that it was designed to remove trace/immeasurable amounts of copper. And as far as heavy metal removal - that stuff has been out for a long time before people could even attempt to test for heavy metals - not sure it has ever been proven it can do that.

jr60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ok CUPRISORB THEY SAY

30 days later
1677088940918.png

I have to agree Cuprisorb as snake oil since I have been using this for several months now and the only real reduction in copper levels come from removal of rocks, gravel, bio balls, sump and water changes. Even after all this it can't keep up with leeching although it does change color but nowhere near a deep or dark blue. I started last November at 217 ppb and now down to 118 according to ICP testing. Also been working with Polyfilter and again a dramatic color change but effects on the reduction of copper levels to be insignificant. I will be trying another method using BRS r o x 0.8 carbon.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree Cuprisorb as snake oil since I have been using this for several months now and the only real reduction in copper levels come from removal of rocks, gravel, bio balls, sump and water changes. Even after all this it can't keep up with leeching although it does change color but nowhere near a deep or dark blue. I started last November at 217 ppb and now down to 118 according to ICP testing. Also been working with Polyfilter and again a dramatic color change but effects on the reduction of copper levels to be insignificant. I will be trying another method using BRS r o x 0.8 carbon.

Sounds like you didn’t use enough of either product.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 46 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back