I did a complete numb nut newb thing and bought corals. I don't know what they are.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a zoanthid, xenia, hammer and toadstool. Not sure why you got ammo lock if you’re cycled. You’re gonna wanna consistently test some parameters if you want those frags to get any bigger

The reason I got for the ammlock from two people at LFS had to do with possible hitchhikers. they were soaked in a solution per the directions before placed in the tank.

add I know I could ask which parameters are most important to check, but I bet that's all over these threads.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have plenty of room for the fish most people just introduce them slowly to build up the bacteria for the bio load of the fish. So you should be fine just watch for ammonia in your tank.

If you can get a picture of the zoas when they are open we might be able to identify if they are any name brand zoa. When the hammer comes out we might be able to identify the hammer as well. The other two are Xenia and some sort of toadstool if you take a pic when it's polyps are out you will know if it is a long polyp or short and if they are regular colored or neon or white tipped.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammo lock is meant to reduce ammonia levels. What hitchhikers were they talking about?
that's a great question. IDK. It was just two separate people at LFS and they said because of possible hitchhikers. they seemed to be very knowledgeable. there are instructions on the Alock indicates to soak the species in 10 mm of solution plus aquarium water prior to placing in tank. But yes, I see what you saying now the label definitely says ammonia detoxer.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, I'm definitely going to read the threads about best conditions so they will thrive
The Xenia will be fine anywhere on your tank. The zoas you can leave on the sand bed for now or attach them to your rock work near the bottom. The toadstool can take the most amount of light of everything you have and they like flow but not fully blasted. So if you want to put the toadstool up high you can or you can leave it lower. It can thrive at any light level really. The hammer you need to put somewhere that gets enough flow to move it's tentacles but not enough that the tentacles want to pull in and retract. They don't love a ton of light but need it more than the Xenia or the zoas.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, I'm definitely going to read the threads about best conditions so they will thrive
You will need to start testing for Alkalinity and calcium and probably phosphates. You want to keep you phosphates low. You can decide how low. You want your calcium somewhere around 400-450 and just keep it stabile at that number you choose in that range and decide on a number of Alkalinity somewhere between 8-12 and keep it there. I usually suggest checking what your salt you use mixes to on the bag or bucket and choosing to keep everything at those numbers bc when you do waterchanges it will be easier to keep those numbers. Goodluck!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, I don't think you have too many fish for the size of the tank. Maybe someone was referring to the amount of fish vs. how new the tank is, I don't know. But as far as those plastic plants go, if your LFS sold them to you, then you need to find a new LFS. Because they are just selling you things to sell you things, not considering the health and wellbeing of your tank inhabitants. Most of the corals they sold you are easier corals, with the zenia being the easiest. But all those corals tend to like an environment that is slightly nutrient rich. The issue you may have upcoming is the fact that all the new rock you have is a open landscape for pest algae. These algae’s will try to outcompete your new corals for the nutrients they need. It is not impossible to have corals in a new tank, but you have to be more aware of what is going on with your tank. This tends to favor reefers that have had some experiences with setting up new tanks previously.
What are your current nutrient levels?
What lighting are you running and what levels?
What kind of flow do you have?
What are your PAR readings? or estimated?
What are you keeping your parameters at?
These are questions you should know and have answers to before you start keeping live animals. I am not saying you don't know, but these are important things.
Most people here are well intended, some see you in themselves with mistakes they have made and just don't want you to have any dire consequences.
Good luck with your reef and let us know if we can help.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think you should get upset when several members have given you advice about the plants. You did ask if they were an issue. It was also mentioned what they can do with coral. If you don't like the answers, that's fine and your business of what you do with your tank, but getting defensive with members is not the way to go.
If you did not know the coral you were getting then how were people supposed to know you knew (or didn't) about fake plants? People were just trying to help. Take it with a grain of salt.
Best of luck to you and your tank. We all started somewhere.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a law. I am really curious who would sell fake plants to a person starting a reef tank. Actually all I would need to see is what car they drive. I bet it's a PT Cruiser with rust. Or a 1998 Buick Century with a flashing check engine light and dimming headlights.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but so far all that i read here is that silk in fake plants is bad and fire retardant and metal posting. I don't think my decor have any of those things. Are you sure you guys are just not against the concept of a natural reef tank and all that it means, with fake plants in it? I mean, I can understand in the world of reef tanks It's a natural environment mimicking a part of the sea in a very special part of the world -- and fake decor? It was only because I just started out and I wanted something pretty to look at.
I spent almost $5 Large for a Reef system and then I was like well at least if i could put something to look at in there for now besides LR. Then I got the clowns and they just love it.

Add,
what I'm gonna do first thing tomorrow is call LFS and find out exactly what that decor is made of to make 100% sure that it is not going to be a bad thing for waiting until my coral grow out and then I can trash them

Last edited:

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think my decor have any of those things
How do you know? There are members here who do know, hence the advice.

You also did get comments on your original question on what corals you think you got. Sorry, you feel it got derailed or offended. Again, I think people were just trying to help.

Good luck and Goodnight.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a law. I am really curious who would sell fake plants to a person starting a reef tank. Actually all I would need to see is what car they drive. I bet it's a PT Cruiser with rust. Or a 1998 Buick Century with a flashing check engine light and dimming headlights.
oh, I drive a 2018 Mustang GT premium girl just rear ended me last week and tomorrow I'm taking it into the collision shop

oh, I love the motor on her, even after these few years, I've love it even coming back from the LFS I appreciate that motor it's got a command of road.

IMG_5367.jpeg

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, they would be leasing a BMW and laughing on the way to the bank.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, if we're talking about the people at the LFSof that's what you meant I doubt they make much more than a minimum wage

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like I said, I'm gonna call first thing tomorrow morning and find out what these decor are made of. not going to ignore potentially vital advise, but I'm gonna get to the bottom of it.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to set it straight - I'm quite sure most of those commenting negatively about the fake decor were in fact just upset that you had fake decor at all and weren't willing to say as much. It's "taboo" ya know. You do you though. But definitely follow up with the chemical concerns on them just in case.

This is just my personal opinion, but like most here I dislike the fake decor. As a suggestion for something to look at and for the clowns to play in, I would recommend you purchase some "macro algae" which is the reef world equivalent of plants. They are highly beneficial to your tank and can be beautiful:
1713951690264.png
1713951708469.png
1713951729421.png

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like life in general, there are two ways to approach reef keeping. You can adhere to advice of tried and true methods or forge your own path. Guess which one is easier?

I think you’re ok on your fish stocking levels. The fake plants are a matter of personal taste but honestly, not something I would put in a reef. Residual chemicals and light shading are a concern. Light shading can even be a problem with macro algae. Keep in mind that even if light appears to be hitting a coral doesn’t mean its getting sufficient light.

Regarding your LFS, there is a credibility issue. The Ammo lock will do absolutely nothing for hitchhikers. They make products you dip corals in specifically for this purpose.

Its your money and your tank OP so you do you. However, keep in mind that some of us on here have succeeded and failed over the years. Listening to advice, might actually save you some valuable time and money.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back