I need advice moving and setting up a 200 gallon fish reef tank

nathan81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am purchasing susans complete set up. It is a 24x30x72 all the extra fish containers or advice is needed. Also if you can help me physically move it or give me cleaning tips to clean tank and buff scratches out of glass please post. I will supply food and beverages also will be greatly in your dept.
thanks nathan

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill help. I'd order new bulkheads and you may need a new AI hanging kit if your ceilings are higher than 8ft.

I'd also recommend removing the refugium from the sump area and re plumbing the sump where some type of mechanical filter can be installed.

OP
OP
N

nathan81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I just need to know size and how many to get. I am also thinking of putting it on the wall were the garage is to drill through and put skimmer and cal reactor in garage. Open to suggestions. What do you think of filter socks or will it not do well on a system this big. Thanks so much for all the help my wife and I are very great full.

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having stuff in garage is great... Less noise and mess in the house. However temp requires a few more heaters and fans during extreme parts of the seasons to keep the tank the correct temp.

TheReefMasta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrat's on the new tank. I'm in the process of an upgrade to a 300 display myself. The good news is you are getting an acryllic tank which is much lighter than glass. Not that I recommend only needing two people but just to give you an idea me and my son-in-law moved mine, it's 96x32x24. My sump and refgium are the two tanks in the trailer. The more help you can get the better. I went to Harbor Freight and bought four of the double suction cups they use for handling glass. Just make sure they are attached correctly before picking up the tank. Don't want them to let go while you have a tank up.

Here is my tank, I'm going to fill it up with water and use muriatic acid for cleaning. You can get it at Home Depot. If you choose to use this please be extremely careful. This stuff very nasty, don't want to breathe the fumes so use a well ventilated area. Put a couple of power heads in the tank and it will come out squeaky clean.

As far as polishing goes, get a small car buffer and new pads. Here is the polishing compound I'm using. They offer different grades for how deep the scratches are. Good luck, make sure and show us some pictures when you are done. Unfortunately my work has really slowed the progress on mine to a crawl.

TheReefMasta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my mistake, saw polish and didn't read on, just assumed acrylic. Don't believe you can polish a glass tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nathan81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sould I use a 7" filter sock for this tank and I am planning on trying crium oxide on sample glass tank to see how it works getting scratches out. Does anyone have any experience with either.

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nathan. Brandon reminded me that this is Labor Day weekend. I will have to work that weekend. One of our busiest weekends at the marina
Sorry

OP
OP
N

nathan81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have suction cups I looked at harbor freight and their's looked cheap and not strong enough and thanks for trying I understand if you have to work.

TheReefMasta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a glass tank that size I wouldn't use anything but professional grade suction cups. The cups I bought at harbor freight are fine for an acrylic tank but not the weight of this glass tank. The professional cups are going to run around $100.00 a piece. Do not try to cut corners on moving this tank or you may regret it. I wouldn't touch it without at least 6 strong people to help even if it means pushing out your timeline. A slip on this one and it's done. Not sure what kind of budget you have but you might want to consider hiring a moving company that is bonded. Just my 2 cents.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved almost that exact tank (not far) with two people and no suction cups. A group of four could easily move it IMO. I trust my hands more than gismos. Granted... now I have major (unrelated?) back issues so take that with a grain of salt. _BUT_ if you really wanna make it easy find someone it a small lift made for a/c units.

TheReefMasta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved almost that exact tank (not far) with two people and no suction cups. A group of four could easily move it IMO. I trust my hands more than gismos. Granted... now I have major (unrelated?) back issues so take that with a grain of salt. _BUT_ if you really wanna make it easy find someone it a small lift made for a/c units.

OK, the dry weight of that tank is right at 400lbs. Why take chances just to cut corners? Do you know the details about the route to get the tank in the house, stairs, what size are the doorways? Yes I agree 4 people could lift this tank but I would feel much better having two more. But what do I know about it, I've only assisted in moving a few large tanks in my younger days. I've also seen first hand what happened to a friends large tank when he didn't prepare properly.

OP
OP
N

nathan81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The move is only about 5 miles 3 stairs and a 36 inch door. I am going to try and find some suction cups to make it a little easier. Also I have a 92 corner reef set up I am thinking of going Thursday and friday to get all livestock and put in my tank and start draining and saving at least half the water. That way we wont be waisting any time Saturday. Any other suggestions

OP
OP
N

nathan81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want so say a BIG thank you to brandon for all the help he has given in this tank move. My family is truly grateful for everything you have done. Cant wait to see everything in one tank.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 36 75.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back