Hello guys, ;)

Several months ago a friend sent me a link to this topic:
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/296532-nanotopias-zeovit-80l/

[!] This post:
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/296532-nanotopias-zeovit-80l/?p=4781871

Here is the main post if you don't want to read in details:

++++++++
NO MORE REFRACTOMETER

After educating myself on salinity measurement and talking to some very successful reefers around the world I have decided never to trust a refractometer (digital or not) ever again. Initially, I doubted the reading I was getting from my new conductivity probe, it was just that far out from my traditional digital refractometer results ( 31.5ppt - much lower), I found it hard to believe. So, I consulted some experts and treaded with caution, increased salinity slowly to 33.7ppt (according to the conductivity probe). This gave me a ~36ppt (or 1.027) when using the digital refract. Nervously, I watched the corals and all aspects of the tank for any slight sign of negative response. For a week I watched, nothing bad happened, only good. Stubbern corals that would'nt reach the colours I expected suddenly (within 2 days) began to show changes, yes hints of colour on tips I had not seen. Coralline changed colour and began to pop up everywhere (unusual for my tank). PE increased on corals that previously had little in the day time. All this (and more) in such a short time? Can't be... right?

Well it is. Call it anecdotal, call it what you want, I am calling it nothing short of a revelation.

Seems I was keeping corals at the very lowest range acceptable to sustain them (~32ppt) based on my fancy Milwaukee digital refractometer, not the optimum (34-35ppt) or 53,000 mS/cm. The increase in salinity to what I now believe is a TRUE ~34ppt has made a unmistakable improvement with all aspects of the tank in a week. I can't imagine what's to come.

If you still believe your refractometer because everyone else does or told you to, do yourself a favour, have a sample of your water tested for conductivity at a reputable lab. Feel free to post your results here
smile.png

Happy reefing everyone !
++++++++

Sorry I'm not sure if links to other forums are allowed but it's critical in my story. :)
Please, take several minutes and read it and several pages after it to understand what I'm talking about.

After this I've decided to give a try as well. So my probe was calibrated very carefully, temperature control, no bubbles etc. to 35 ppm. At that point my salinity was 35 ppm by regular refractometer. When Apex probe was ready, reading was 32 ppm so 3 ppm of difference what is huge!

But I've decided to trust the probe and slowly got my salinity to 35 ppm by Apex probe, it was 38 ppm by refractometer when I've tested later. Honestly I've expected I'm going to lose all what I've and everything will die very soon. So I've got a digital refractometer as well and tested the water. Reading was 38 ppm ( 1.029 ) as well.

Today it's already one month passed with stable salinity at the level of 1.029 and the system is very happy. New frags from @Battlecorals are very happy as well and growing, especially the bird nest ! Green corals changed the color to a very beautiful intense green LPS are very happy with large PE. Anemone that I've added a week ago is very open and happy too. So what we have ...

Regular Refractometer: 1.029 ( From BRS )
Digital Refractometer: 1.029 ( Milwaukee Seawater Digital Refractometer )
Apex Probe: 1.026 - I run the system by that reading.

So when I mix my salt I'm checking with calibrated digital refractometer to be sure it's 1.029 with compensation to the probe. System have no issue, fishes are healthy and active. No dead snails or hermits absolutely healthy CUC.

What do you think about ? ;) Do we all run our systems at low salinity because we trust refractometers ...

zoa_001.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I cannot tell what you think your current salinity is, but such issues are why I always recommend calibrating (or at least checking) all devices with a 35 ppt standard.

My preference to operate my tank at 35 ppt has nothing to do with trusting refractometers (I don't use them anyway, I use conductivity), but everything to do with the fact that most of the earth's coral reefs are near that salinity.

That said, there are many nice coral reefs in the Red Sea at a salinity close to what you were/are using at a sg of 1.029 (or higher), so your tank result is not very surprising to me. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, each device is calibrated with different 35 000 solutions. :)

Which makes it sound as if one or more of then must either be off, or the devices need calibration again. :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berlibee, why not make Randys diy calibration or send a sample to triton labs? If you dont have a good scale a pharmacy will do it for free. Ive done that.

Id really like to know if this is true and not based on 1 instrument. Fwiw apex conductivity is a poor instrument, i had nothing but problems with it. :)

You got me curious for sure

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you think I did a mistake. :) But each device as calibrated very carefully with proper steps and solutions. @Randy Holmes-Farley

I am not saying you made a mistake, but all three cannot be operating properly and be properly calibrated and give different salinity values for the same water.

A calibration fluid that was allowed to evaporate or that got something else in it could be off.

The Milwaukee must be calibrated with RO/DI, but it can be checked with an appropriate standard.

Also the calibration of the conductivity device MUST involve the temperature probe being in the calibration fluid, or it being at the same temp as the calibration fluid.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, you're right temperature probe was in the solution during the calibration at 77F. Both calibrated refractometers show the same readings 1.029 only the probe is different, not all three. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems more likely the Apex is the one that is off since the two refractometers are calibrated with different fluids and yet agree.

What brand fluid did you use for the Apex calibration?

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Conductivity Calibration Solution by NeptuneSystems.
Well this is the main question of the topic Randy, can it be the other way and probe is right and all other devices are wrong ... this is the main question and if yes this is a very big difference. :)

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if its true, what are your current magnesium, alk and calcium in a fresh batch of salt @ 35ppt?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cory Yes, Triton test will be the last step here. Maybe next month I will spend some money to do it. :)
Just make Randys and let us know :)

You just need to spend on distilled water or ro/di reading 0, some table salt and a drive to the pharmacy. :)

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ive acually ran a system with a sg of 1.028 for years and never had an issue either,my tank seemed to be doing alot better around the 1.026 to 1.028 range i could say the higher mag levels exploading coraline growth but once my sg went higher then that my cyphastreas would burn around the rims

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Conductivity Calibration Solution by NeptuneSystems.
Well this is the main question of the topic Randy, can it be the other way and probe is right and all other devices are wrong ... this is the main question and if yes this is a very big difference. :)

Possible, but it seems less likely.

The Milwaukee has to be calibrated with RO/DI, but can be checked with a 35 ppt fluid.

The BRS refractometer should be calibrated with 35 ppt (sg 1.0264), but even if calibrated with RO/DI and read in specific gravity, it won't be off that much. If you read it in ppt and calibrate with RO/DI it will be off by about 1.7 ppt, even if perfectly made.

Anyway. I'd recalibrate all three devices, either with your standard or my DIY standards, and see if they can read the same solution to give the same values.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back