OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I hope Triton will clarify this situation.
But if Triton will say that I really have 1.029 I will be in a very difficult situation.
Run it as it is or lower the salinity, because corals looks happy.

This is the new frag right now already for three weeks in the system.

B_HAPPY.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me asking Cory, who do you get your Triton kit through?

I dont use triton yet because everything is great! I will soon though. But you can order from the US, i dont think its in Canada.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best calibration solution I can rely on for salinity?

For what type of device?

If you have a good scale, my DIY would be a good way to go, but some commercial ones should also be very good, such as Pinpoint 53 mS/cm solution for a conductivity probe.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what type of device?

If you have a good scale, my DIY would be a good way to go, but some commercial ones should also be very good, such as Pinpoint 53 mS/cm solution for a conductivity probe.
I have a pinpoint conductivity meter and a refractometer as well. Is there an out of date issue if cal. soulution has not been used and when it has too?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've this one:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/refractometer-for-reading-salinity-with-calibration-fluid.html

Doing everything like in the manual, using the calibration solution to 35 ppt.

And for the Milwaukee I'm using the RO/DI water and 1.025 validation solution here they're:

Calibration.jpg

I can send a sample to you as well, will be very interesting. :) And when I'm calibrating there is no "parasite lighting" also.

Hopefully that brand was made properly. Someone else mentioned it in another thread, but we could not find anything about it online.

So I still tend to think it is the Apex that is off. Some folks have had issues, although I am not sure why.

Here's an example

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/perplexing-conductivity-issue.227861/#post-2644308

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we'll see what Triton test will show. Thanks for the link Randy. Yes there is many factors to consider while calibrating the probe, wire isolation, temperature of the solution should be also like prescribed on the package and not same as the sump temperature etc. if refractometers are right it's just going to be easier for me so I'll be happy to know it... :)

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity probe seems to hold a calibration (35ppm) for about a month and then for some reason goes back to 33?

My refractometer still shows 35 so I just assume it's correct and my probe sucks.

Going to recalibrate it again tomorrow

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not own an Apex salinity probe, but several other folks in the club out here have reported issues with accuracy of the readings. They seem to be consistent, but not accurate.

An inexpensive refractometer calibrated with 35ppt solution will be very accurate for our needs in the hobby. I would trust that reading over your apex probe, especially when two separate refractometers are giving you consistent readings.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you're saying and looks like you're very sure about reading of your refractometer. I will be very happy to know that I can trust my refractometer as well if a quality lab test will show me the same reading.
The only reason I've questions it's because I trust research that NanoTopia did also and I think personally that we should look deeper and try it as well, maybe something interesting is hiding there.

And what do you think about NanoTopia's post here:

=-=-=-=-
LOL, well I think for the most part we know how to do it but the equipment we use varies so much along with the results. Most cheaper refractometers are IMO complete garbage and you would be far better off mixing your salt mix by weight:water volume. There are some better refractometers on the market designed for seawater but I have found they also tend to read higher than actual. These will get you in range and unless you are as anal as me, you will probably do alright with those.

Conductivity meters measure the ions in the water and thus their relative conductivity, mS/cm. If the conductivity measuring device is of some quality and is calibrated using temperature compensation, you cannot beat the accuracy they can produce. The scientific community now recognizes conductivity as the most accurate way to measure seawater salinity, it is now called PSU or Practical Salinity Units. PSU is converted into PPT using an algorithm.

I still think the biggest reason for discrepancy between all this equipment is temperature compensation. If your refractometer is calibrated for 20c, then when you place a water sample on the prism it quickly cools to the temperature of the refractometer. The ATC converts it to the calibration of the refractometer, and not magically to the temperature of your aquarium, how could it. Temperature plays a big role in salinity measurement.

Anyone know for sure if a refractometer that is calibrated at 20c (usually says on the refractometer) reads the sample based on the temperature of the refractometer or does it convert the temperature of the refractometer to it's calibration point to give it's result?

Anyway, if you look in my garbage bin you will see a refractometer in it. :)
=-=-=-=-

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that conductivity is a great method, and is my method of choice, using an Orion Model 128 (expensive) and a Pinpoint. My article on how it works at Reef Edition should come out any day now.

My concern with salinity by conductivity using hobby controllers is the complexity of such issues as calibration and possibly having independent temperature and conductivity sensors (in my meters they are in one unit). For whatever reasons these devices seem to give people problems that more simple devices do not.

FWIW, simple does not mean less capable. My Orion is a very expensive device with a much better probe (4 electrodes) than moss hobby units would use (often only 2 electrodes), but it cannot even have its calibration adjusted (at least not without opening the case and messing with the internals, which I have never tried). That way, it can never be miscalibrated, and if it is off (mine has always read high by about 2.7%) you make the corrections manually (assuming you care at that level of accuracy).

As to the comments about refractometers above, some of it is true, but using a good 35 ppt standard eliminates nearly all of the concerns (except temperature, which an ATC probe should automatically correct for a range of temperatures, but having everything at the same temp eliminates that concern too).

The Milwaukee is also one of the true seawater refractometers mentioned. When folks have calibrated them in RO/DI and then tested them in 35 ppt standards, they get good agreement as best I've seen. It is not the case that they generally "read high".

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back