I run my system at 1.029 [ ! ]

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive acually ran a system with a sg of 1.028 for years and never had an issue either,my tank seemed to be doing alot better around the 1.026 to 1.028 range i could say the higher mag levels exploading coraline growth but once my sg went higher then that my cyphastreas would burn around the rims
I agree, I lost my meteor shower and my monti caps took a beating when my salinity creeped up to 1.029

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought a Birdsnest from Adam? I lost my train of thought after that.

And no to your question. I've tested many different ways and it's always .025

It was a nice extra that he included in the sps pack that I've got from him. I've asked for it and he was very kind to include as a gift. I wanted to add one as a "sign" as @Russ265 recommended and it's working really well.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if its true, what are your current magnesium, alk and calcium in a fresh batch of salt @ 35ppt?
I'm using Tropic Marin® Sea Salt CLASSIC and I'm checking only salinity when I'm changing the water I'm happy when the mix is 1.028 - 1.029 by the digital refractometer.

Tank parameters are:

No3: 7.0 ( working to get 1 - 2 )
Po4: 0.05 ( working to get 0.03 )
Ca: 430
Kh: 7.4
Mg: 1400

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible, but it seems less likely.

The Milwaukee has to be calibrated with RO/DI, but can be checked with a 35 ppt fluid.

The BRS refractometer should be calibrated with 35 ppt (sg 1.0264), but even if calibrated with RO/DI and read in specific gravity, it won't be off that much. If you read it in ppt and calibrate with RO/DI it will be off by about 1.7 ppt, even if perfectly made.

Anyway. I'd recalibrate all three devices, either with your standard or my DIY standards, and see if they can read the same solution to give the same values.

Yes as I've said everything is properly calibrated. ;)

- Milwaukee is calibrated before each check with RO/DI water, then checked with the validation solution at 1.025 only then water samples is checked.
- Regular refractometer is calibrated with 35 000 solution.
- Apex probe is calibrated with the Conductivity Calibration Solution by NeptuneSystems with the temperature probe in the solution at 77F in the same sump spot where the probe is placed later to keep the same lighting conditions as well.

I will read your article for sure. Thank you. :)

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive acually ran a system with a sg of 1.028 for years and never had an issue either,my tank seemed to be doing alot better around the 1.026 to 1.028 range i could say the higher mag levels exploading coraline growth but once my sg went higher then that my cyphastreas would burn around the rims

Yes, caroline growing like crazy ! Super fast and a little different color as well, more dark / intense. Before it was like the Electric Purple here, after the changes it's more Purple (Munsell)

Purpur.jpg

bsstover

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm still a little confused by this. Are you saying that you are running your tank at 1.026 based on what you think is a more accurate conductivity probe or at 1.029 based on an inaccurate refractometer reading? I agree with Randy, something is off. You obviously cannot be running your system at 1.026 and 1.029, so I would like to see what the Triton test reveals too to get a better grasp on this. I presently run mine at 1.026 and do feel that my colors on some of my SPS just aren't where I think it should be, but have considered Fe, I2, and K rather than salinity.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm running my tank at 1.028 - 1.029 by regular and by digital (calibrated daily) refractometers and at 1.026 by Apex probe which I think is giving the right reading. Ok I will order a Triton test today it's really interesting and new to me too. But even if Apex is not accurate that's mean I really run my system at 1.029 and corals are happy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as I've said everything is properly calibrated. ;)

- Milwaukee is calibrated before each check with RO/DI water, then checked with the validation solution at 1.025 only then water samples is checked.
- Regular refractometer is calibrated with 35 000 solution.
-

You have a 1.025 standard? What brand is that?

The 35 ppt solution, you set the refractometer to what based on that? a ppt value or a specific gravity value?

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup every month :) well besides last month lol
I love how you can to to the site and look back at all the tests to make an average ;)

Don't go giving them too much credit or you start making me feel like some kind of Superman for doing something simple! [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1] That sure ain't true!

But I have tracked my own test results in a spreadsheet/online database and I make my own charts. :) :)

I have a Mac, so all the basic tools come with the computer, but you can do the same thing in open office, or Tiki wiki which is the online software I run. All free - just need a computer. Anyone could do it.

If there is anyone out there who is not tracking their test results somehow, for gosh sake's start - even if it's on pencil and paper.

Which by the way is how I do it nowadays. [emoji6][emoji106]

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back