I'm Curious...Just What are the Actual Benefits of adding Copepods?

MugiwaraGrape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone willing to answer. The post is about benefits and dosage directly correlates with benefit which I imagine is topic related. And the post (on Facebook) showed a bottle of each. Haha

IMG_1892.png

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I were to purchases these two mixes of phyto and copos, how often should I add them?
My experience, I think they are a great biological addition to the whole system.
They live in the sump, Chaeto, Live Rock and Substrate. They eat detritus from all over, I like the biology of a system. Fish and corals alike will feed on them.
I just received an order from Reef by Steele of Phyto Buffet and will be adding to our 100g to beef everything up before we transfer to 125gL. Kent Steele will graciously
Answer any questions you may have.
Debra
PS my order is amazing and will order again when tank transfer is complete to eliminate New Tank Syndrome

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First of all, I'm a big fan of microfauna like copepods but since there are so many ways to get them pretty quickly (even simply by accident), what is the true value of adding one or multiple species? Please feel free to be as detailed as possible, or, if you feel it's kind of pointless, feel free to share your opinion as well. I've heard that they can help prevent the "uglies" or lessen them to some extent but how many people have really experienced this firsthand? Clearly there must be some reason people have made billion dollar companies out of startups that began with copepods. Very curious...
I have never added them - and I do not think there is any benefit to adding them - except if there is a fish that eats them alone. Many people have no uglies without copepods. IMHO - this would be an experiment for @Dan_P et al. because - IMHO - its a good live food - but - nothing thats going to work miracles (I know this is heresy - but I have never bought them in 40 years)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My experience, I think they are a great biological addition to the whole system.
This is interesting - why? What is a 'great biological addition'. - What do you think they are doing?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots but have never added them intentionally. I would guess adding them would have the benefit of knowing exactly what they are, rather than coming in wild and potentially being a varmint. They obviously eat micro stuff but wether or not there is a genuine macro benefit I do not know. My damsel thinks they are tasty.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just culture pods for a snack for my mandarin along with it's feeding.
I think it has eaten hundreds/thousands/billions in the last 5 years... I can only guess
For copepods to eat through algae in an aquarium to show any sign of reducing growth...I think you will need billions/trillions/ infinite amount, so I would not place these under 'cuc'.

I used to pay X amount per month for copepods just to ensure my mandarins survival and it's really hard to tell if he's even eating them.

The copepod breeding in itself is relatively easy, I have seen different varieties all grown in the same method, some even go beyond care fore these tiny creatures. as highlighted company's grew there business from these tiny creatures but at the time 'these was new/unique' just like any business model startup.

Majority of mandarins you purchase now are bred and grown to eat pellets brine shrimp / general aquarium food and they survive and look great.

Just like anything else, the right publication/sales/advertisement.. you can sell anything, turning a profit is something else

My mandarin is happy eating my home grown copepods ;)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never added them - and I do not think there is any benefit to adding them - except if there is a fish that eats them alone. Many people have no uglies without copepods. IMHO - this would be an experiment for @Dan_P et al. because - IMHO - its a good live food - but - nothing thats going to work miracles (I know this is heresy - but I have never bought them in 40 years)
It would be more interesting than watching cyanobacteria grow. We should discuss which ones to try.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting - why? What is a 'great biological addition'. - What do you think they are doing?
We’ll, I guess it goes back yrs ago, like you lol, when our live rock just came alive. We had lots of beautiful big dead corals we’d bleach to keep white. Once we added live rock I’d just watch with magnifying glass as Bristleworms appeared, mushrooms, paly Zoas started slowly appearing. I’d see tiny shrimp like things across substrate. We had that all in one drip tray and sump at bottom. All this stuff clear fronds or something. It just seemed as we had a truly biological balance. I had read yrs ago that pods were a sign of a healthy tank. Tangs will pick off and eat. I find all this just wonderful. You know as most 40 year vets in this, how much has changed since the 80’s. I love Paul B.’s ideas. I’m interested in what you’ve seen, I think you know much more than I as to chemistry, lighting etc. I’m glad we have a place to share
The best, Debra

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, I'm a big fan of microfauna like copepods but since there are so many ways to get them pretty quickly (even simply by accident), what is the true value of adding one or multiple species? Please feel free to be as detailed as possible, or, if you feel it's kind of pointless, feel free to share your opinion as well. I've heard that they can help prevent the "uglies" or lessen them to some extent but how many people have really experienced this firsthand? Clearly there must be some reason people have made billion dollar companies out of startups that began with copepods. Very curious...
Having funny glass animals that bounce like springtails.:face-with-tongue:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me buying copepods is like buying grass seeds to throw on your existing grass. I don't feel it will do anything "UNLESS" you run a quarantined or medicated system and you killed everything natural.

Especially if you dip all your rock and corals. (I don't)

In the 52 years my tank is running I have never bought a pod but I am lucky and I can collect things from the sea. But even if I didn't pods multiply very fast. I have about 45 mostly smaller fish and probably 10 pod eaters including mandarins, Ruby Red Dragonettes blue stripe pipefish and scooter Bleenies. Those fish are all spawning and dining on what they find naturally growing in my tank.

Of course I never quarantine, dip or medicate so all those things grow in far greater amounts than I will ever need.

If I shut off the pumps for a few minutes, the surface of the water becomes covered in microscope life and the pipefish hang out there and suck it up as they are smiling. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many things in this hobby there is an element of truth in the heap of nonsense vendors claim about their products. The gullibility of the average consumer and their belief in quick fixes and desire for miracle cures makes hobby snake oil sellers rich. So, there is a reason people toss all sorts of things into their aquarium, but the reason is not based on controlled experiments. The recent fad about adding copepods to solve all sorts of issues is a text book example of how to turn BS into wealth.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in my tank. I wanted to see how many pods a Ruby Red Dragonette can eat in a minute.

It seems they eat a pod about every 3 or 4 seconds. Thats a lot of pods and that is only one of my pod eaters. I could never buy enough pods for these fish but in a natural tank you will have way more than you know what to do with with no help from you.

Not of course if you used dead rock and quarantine and dip everything. Then you may have to buy pods.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me buying copepods is like buying grass seeds to throw on your existing grass. I don't feel it will do anything "UNLESS" you run a quarantined or medicated system and you killed everything natural.

Especially if you dip all your rock and corals. (I don't)

In the 52 years my tank is running I have never bought a pod but I am lucky and I can collect things from the sea. But even if I didn't pods multiply very fast. I have about 45 mostly smaller fish and probably 10 pod eaters including mandarins, Ruby Red Dragonettes blue stripe pipefish and scooter Bleenies. Those fish are all spawning and dining on what they find naturally growing in my tank.

Of course I never quarantine, dip or medicate so all those things grow in far greater amounts than I will ever need.

If I shut off the pumps for a few minutes, the surface of the water becomes covered in microscope life and the pipefish hang out there and suck it up as they are smiling. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
This is in my tank. I wanted to see how many pods a Ruby Red Dragonette can eat in a minute.

It seems they eat a pod about every 3 or 4 seconds. Thats a lot of pods and that is only one of my pod eaters. I could never buy enough pods for these fish but in a natural tank you will have way more than you know what to do with with no help from you.

Not of course if you used dead rock and quarantine and dip everything. Then you may have to buy pods.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I think you’re the first I read having breed dragonets, if I lived by the coast, I just might be gutsy like you. I believe in the way you treat exposure to disease, make them healthy and immune. I’m beefing up our pod’s ‘cause I think we vacuum our substrate so heavy. You’re tank is absolutely beautiful.
PS I’ve had your book for awhile and DO go back to it!
Debra
Thank-you for your service sit

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I think you’re the first I read having breed dragonets, if I lived by the coast, I just might be gutsy like you. I believe in the way you treat exposure to disease, make them healthy and immune. I’m beefing up our pod’s ‘cause I think we vacuum our substrate so heavy. You’re tank is absolutely beautiful.
PS I’ve had your book for awhile and DO go back to it!
Debra
Thank-you for your service sit
Omg, Paul, I’m sorry than-you for you’re service SIR

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back