Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 67 44.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 8.7%

• Total voters

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

Nuisance algae is a thing. It has affected nearly all of us at one time and likely continues to occasionally come back around. Nuisance algae may even stay present and lurks in the corner of our tanks where it is hopefully under control. Whether you are looking to keep your tank from being overrun or wanting a crystal clear tank. There are a wide range of commercial products available for sale to address nuisance algae and the underlaying reasons for the algae growth. However, there are also DIY solutions to combat nuisance algae such as hydrogen peroxide. What about you – do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae? If so, please share your methods and let us know if you have tips or specific recommendations.

Broadfield_FTS.jpeg

Photo by @Broadfield

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"
I use this on the rocks and even on the sps, if algae has taken hold on the tips ,just touch them first ,you can go as hard or soft as you want ,will do hair algae as well straight of the rock , this was 3.50 b&m bargains, but use an expensive sonic one as long as you wrap like this ,mines been going for a year now ha

Attachments

• 1716382948339131850481924738747.jpg
    1716382948339131850481924738747.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 105

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this on the rocks and even on the sps, if algae has taken hold on the tips ,just touch them first ,you can go as hard or soft as you want ,will do hair algae as well straight of the rock , this was 3.50 b&m bargains, but use an expensive sonic one as long as you wrap like this ,mines been going for a year now ha
Ps no disturbing scrubbing required, just let it sit there ha

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preferred DIY method is really a DIF method: do it fish. I had a one spot foxface that kept the display free of any issues with green algae, including caulerpa racemosa from the refugia.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I tried was carbon dosing vodka to my tank to lower nutrients. Instead it not only fed good bacteria but the bad as well.

What is a bad bacteria?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New system150lbs live rock. I use a flipper to clean the 3 sides. Im at week 5 with no uglies.
I did get green film algae for a week or two. Now clean glass every 3 or so days.
Week 2-3 I added 20 trochus, 5 turbos, 20 astreas, 20 hermits, and 8 emeralds.
Current fish only 1 damsel and 1 hawkfish.
Over the years if no3<5 and po4<.1 are kept in check with the right amount of CC algae is kept at a manageable level.
Current no3 is 25 down from 50 and po5 is .06 down from 0.5.
I have never started a system with dead so no experience there.
Nutrient control and the right amount of cleanup crew will go along way at keepimg algae from undesireable levels.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to vote "Other" as Ive tried all three. But unless buying urchins and hermits and sally lightfoot crabs are considered "Commercial" then commercial solutions is the one thing I won't do a y more and advise against as either a waste of money or detrimental. I use straws and primarily urchins to control nuisance algae but I often see nuisance algae disappear on it's own as a system matures. While Martin Moe's research with urchins at least partially the inspiration for using steel straws and urchins it was gratifying to see Hawai'i use the same basic technique on a much larger scale.

Wnelson52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to wipe down the walls once or twice a week to get rid of a thin brown layer of something that just seems to grow on the walls. Have an hbo chaeto refugium, but this junk continues to grow. Any help please.

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trochus army and bristletooth tang help keep things under control. I also have a fuge with cheato and a UV. I used microbacter clean and razor to kill an ulva outbreak. It worked but killed all of my sps so never again.

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried letting the algae grow unchecked and when folks can't see through the glass they complain but they don't ever wipe the glass down? I always have to DIY (the algae) so others can enjoy the view. Life is not fair. :thinking-face: :cool:
I too had a glass algae problem... for 3 weeks. Wiped it down 2x day and cleaned sock. After 3 weeks got up one morning and it was gone with no reappearance so far. Nitrates less than 20 whole time and phosphate less than 1.4. Remains that way today.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back