Inspiration Needed: Mixing Rock & Branches

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have tips for combining large base rock and branches to make them look good together?

I want to redo my scape to add more branches. Right now it is mostly base rock & some arches. I don't like the scape looking like a pile of rocks. I feel the branches will help with flow, fish hiding spots, & coral placement & isolation.

From a visual design perspective, what's going to look good? I'm deliberately not using the word natural, but I want the pieces to look congruent.

IMO 1 branch sticking out of a giant rock is going look weird. Perhaps multiple branches, with smaller rocks, or maybe branches attached to shelf rock might look good.

Any general tips, inspiration or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to avoid buying more rock until I get a feel for what I want to do.

Thanks T

It shouldn't matter but tank is about 36" L, 18-22" deep (18 in center, 22 on sides) & 20" H. Innovative Marine INT-75

Liftoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go higher then half the tank size and i definitely wouldn't go straight up: when you have an angle, your invertebrates can hang upside down and I find that beautiful :)

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the rock you already have been in there? Any pics? You could take some out and break them apart to make more varied structures with glue/morter perhaps? Otherwise, I find mixing different types of rock together to almost always look bad. I'd concentrate on more of the same rock, but different shapes if breaking up what you have is not doable.

OP
OP
Fish_Fry

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the rock you already have been in there? Any pics? You could take some out and break them apart to make more varied structures with glue/morter perhaps? Otherwise, I find mixing different types of rock together to almost always look bad. I'd concentrate on more of the same rock, but different shapes if breaking up what you have is not doable.

The existing rocks has been for 2 years.

I removed a giant rock this past weekend and did a little rescape. I'll take a pic tonight.

I agree the mixing of different types rock has the potential to look bad. Similar to mixing different types of wood in FW. The majority of time it looks disjointed, but when done right it can really enhance the scape.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 99 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back