Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, those are not mounting holes. This board doesn't require heat sinking, it comes with some double-stick foam tape.

I don't have a mounting box for it yet, but I'll probably work up a 3D print bracket for it so it can slide into the rails that the heat sinks slide into, or maybe onto the heat sink rails.

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine in! Now trying to figure out how to put it together. It was packed great and the quality is fantastic!

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left side:
pERXMlKl.jpg

oc6Dpnhl.jpg

Right side:
YRBW99ol.jpg

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
805reef,
How and where are you plumbed?
1. It looks like your ATS return drains into a bubble trap next door to your return pump. Is that right?
2. Where does your ATS water supply line come from?

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
805reef,
How and where are you plumbed?
1. It looks like your ATS return drains into a bubble trap next door to your return pump. Is that right?
2. Where does your ATS water supply line come from?

1. That is correct.
2. The ATS supply comes from the manifold off the return pump. you can see it in the 2nd picture. the clear hose coming from the ATS going to the left and into the manifold where the black handle ball valve is.

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, your ATS supply is using water from your return pump and the ATS drain is immediately upstream of your return pump. Is that right?

Doesn't that result in a circuit of flow that has some of the ATS output being immediately recycled as ATS input before having been returned to the display tank?

BTW, even though it is hard to see the whole sump, I like some of the plumbing that I can see. Looks like a neat job. Where did you get the blue colored fittings? They do look nice.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't that result in a circuit of flow that has some of the ATS output being immediately recycled as ATS input before having been returned to the display tank?
somewhat, but only if your return pump rate is closely matched to your scrubber pump rate - I'm guessing this is not the case. For instance, if the return pump was 5000 GPH and the scrubber pump is 240, you're only getting a 5% re-circulation rate.

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, your ATS supply is using water from your return pump and the ATS drain is immediately upstream of your return pump. Is that right?

BTW, even though it is hard to see the whole sump, I like some of the plumbing that I can see. Looks like a neat job. Where did you get the blue colored fittings? They do look nice.

+1 to what @Floyd R Turbo said.

The blue colored fittings are actually just painted with krylon fusion. They are shiny and pretty. :)

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I will ship Rev 4 units #49 and #50. That's officially 25 units shipped in the last 2 weeks!

I'd like to thank everyone for their patience!

Also, if you happen to be going to Reef-A-Palooza Orlando, there will be a Turbo L2 Algae Scrubber at the Reef2Reef booth and you can enter to win it! Here's the deal, if you JUST bought one from me, enter anyways: if you win it and don't want to take the unit home with you, I'll give you a full refund on your purchase!

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floyd R Turbo i received my unit but haven't installed it yet. I am dealing with Dino's right now and trying to decide the best course. I am dosing reef grow algae oust and bioload. I assume it's not a good idea to put the ATS in service during treatment. Any thoughts? Also, when I put the ATS in service, can the skimmer be taken offline at the same time?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would fire it up. You might not get much for growth, but the screen will start calcifying, even if it's over the mortar. When algae is able to start growing, it should take off pretty quick.

I would not take the skimmer off right away, and not necessarily at all. I am not a big proponent of "no skimmer". More importantly, don't make drastic changes. Meaning, at least let the scrubber "prove itself" before making any other changes, as the scrubber can/will actually shift the "set point" if your overall system.

If you're going to take the skimmer off eventually, you would want to make slow changes to that after the scrubber is established. Things like opening the gate valve to skim less, leave it like that for a while, etc. Or, if the skimmer reacts well to running intermittently, you can do that

slosoak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine, awesome packing. I was wondering how close to the side of the cabinet can the heat sinks go?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have spare slot pipes, yes. You can put the heat sinks pretty close to cabinetry. At 100%, the driver side gets up to around 125F on the back, the other about 115F, which is still cool enough to hold your hand on it without discomfort.

That temp is why I measure with a infrared hear gun, so that is the average of the base plate of the heat sink and the fins.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this week took an unexpected turn. Most of those who have paid & waiting know but just in case I missed someone, I'm siting here in pre-op with my family waiting for my Dad (75) to go in for a quadruple bypass after he had a "heart attack" on Tuesday. The air quotes are because he was golfing Tuesday and he bent over on the first tee to place the ball & felt some chest tightness & dizziness, which passed...finished all 18 holes (shot 100, which is good for him, for first game of the year) then went to get checked out and they found a this

image.jpeg

So, slight pause in production, even though I did bring a bunch of parts with me to work on....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back