Is Kalk all it’s cracked up to be?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of uploading a picture of the container that I used for manual dosing. I got it at my LFS a while back, and it couldn't imagine anything more perfect to manual dose with. Will post up in a few.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here is that container I used. The opening for the valve is just up enough to where the klak mixture stays in the bottom. I would open it up, put in two tsp of kalk, fill it with RO, shake it up, and let it sit all day. Before bed, I would stick it on this little rubbermaid drawer next to my tank, and open the valve just enough to drip in the tank.

2011-02-09_20-11-08_302.jpg

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day # 2 without adding any two part only KALK!....

Both Calc and Alk stayed the same! 420ppm for the calc and 12dkh for the alk! If this keep the tank this stable for week/months I think I'm going to be an SPS guy!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That container is almost identical to the Kent I'm using. I think I'll mix my kalk in the kent.

Ahh...it sure is. I was thinking about those Kent dosers that hang down and look kinda like an IV thingie. Sorry about that. Your Kent would be perfect for it.

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how about pH?

My Aquacontroller reads 8.2 to 8.3 pretty steady. I can't find the right cord to connect it to my computer so I can download the log. However, PH hasn't been an issue at all. If the PH goes to high I programmed the aquacontroller to turn off the ATO if the PH is >8.6.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aquacontroller reads 8.2 to 8.3 pretty steady. I can't find the right cord to connect it to my computer so I can download the log. However, PH hasn't been an issue at all. If the PH goes to high I programmed the aquacontroller to turn off the ATO if the PH is >8.6.

Thats exactly where mine stays at, although its been dropping to 8.13 the last few days, so I guess its time to add some more kalk.

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had someone PM a great question and I thought I would share.

Question:
So in the video the reactor is in a constant drip of KALK, correct? So when the ATO is triggerd it sends a blast of RO water into the reactor. Wouldn't that still force the milky kalk water into the Sump? I want to set this up but need to make sure I completely understand this. So the only top off water comes out of the Reactor correct? If so what is the need for two pumps?

Answer:
The reactor is only dripping when the ATO is turned on. When the ATO is turned on it sends water to the reactor, down the tube inside the reactor and allows the sprinkler head at the bottom to spin and gently mix the kalk powder. It isn't a blast of water pressure because the tube is reduced to a tiny 3/16" inlet on the sprinkler head. Also, the only top off water comes from the reactor and that is why it's perfect because you match your evap rate with the amount of kalk you add 1:1 ratio. There is only one pump in the system that powers the pump that is turned on by the ATO.

usctrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the TLF reactors hold up? I am considering one and wanted to see how long they have been known to last. Having the stirrer in the kalk powder must have some serious buildup over time. Thanks. It looks like a good setup! I have the Kalk but have been scared to start dosing with it since I didnt understand it completely and didnt want to dose it manually since I was scared of overdoing it - all at once and throwing the system into shock.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the TLF reactors hold up? I am considering one and wanted to see how long they have been known to last. Having the stirrer in the kalk powder must have some serious buildup over time. Thanks. It looks like a good setup! I have the Kalk but have been scared to start dosing with it since I didnt understand it completely and didnt want to dose it manually since I was scared of overdoing it - all at once and throwing the system into shock.

Pretty sure the TLF reactors are faily new within the last year, so its hard to tell. Using something as a kalk reactor has very little to no physical impact on the actual device, so I don't see why they wouldn't hold up for quite a long time.

For the reactors that mix by pump, sometimes you have to put in a new prop for the pump, thats about it.

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the TLF reactors are faily new within the last year, so its hard to tell. Using something as a kalk reactor has very little to no physical impact on the actual device, so I don't see why they wouldn't hold up for quite a long time.

For the reactors that mix by pump, sometimes you have to put in a new prop for the pump, thats about it.

That's correct. The only physical impact on the device would be kalk build up in the tube and reactor. The tube is soft so you can just squeeze it to break apart any build up in the reactor can be taken care of with a nano mag float or clean tooth brush. Nothing major.

usctrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasnt sure about the stirrer mechinish - sprinkler head and buildup. I know for the ones using the MJ they say you have to replace the impeller every once and a while. May look into one of them and give it a try.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasnt sure about the stirrer mechinish - sprinkler head and buildup. I know for the ones using the MJ they say you have to replace the impeller every once and a while. May look into one of them and give it a try.

I've had my Precision Marine for about a year, and haven't had to replace the impeller. As long as you keep it clean, it won't get jacked up. I used to have a Geo Kalk Reactor, and I had to replace the impeller once or twice, but I didn't clean it as much.

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE TIME!

I couldn't ask for better results. Calc and Alk are perfect and the calc went up just a little. Check it out...

ResultsGraph.jpg

ResultsChart.jpg

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Looks it its going to work out perfect for you. Your Alk is a little high, but everything looks spot on. If you want to drop Alk, reduce the kalk input, but it might reduce calcium as well. Alk at 12 is still tolerable though.

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Looks it its going to work out perfect for you. Your Alk is a little high, but everything looks spot on. If you want to drop Alk, reduce the kalk input, but it might reduce calcium as well. Alk at 12 is still tolerable though.

When you say reduce the kalk. Do you mean the amount in the reactor or how ofter you add it the tank? I don't think I could regulate how much is added to the tank because it's matched with the evaporation rate of the tank.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, reduce the amount the you put into the reactor. The most kalk you put in there, the higher your Alk will be. Remember that it can only absorb so much, so anything more than the minimum will effect your Alk and pH. I'd just put a little less in next time to see if it keeps it low. As the kalk wears out, it'll go down anyway as the potency of the limewater reduces.

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, reduce the amount the you put into the reactor. The most kalk you put in there, the higher your Alk will be. Remember that it can only absorb so much, so anything more than the minimum will effect your Alk and pH. I'd just put a little less in next time to see if it keeps it low. As the kalk wears out, it'll go down anyway as the potency of the limewater reduces.

Good to know, had no diea. I thought since the water can only absorb so much then there's really nothing you could do. I followed the instructions and they tell you to add way more than you need. I added so much per the directions I could probably go another month without adding any calc to the reactor. I'm sure it won't take long to figure out how much I need to add each week or bi-weekly.

The results area awesome though, still wish I installed one of these reactors a year ago. The growth rim on my SPS and montis is insane. One of my monti never even had a growth rim and now it's 3mm thick.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, thats one thing I always tell people, that montiporas always seem to take to kalk first and you'll see an increase pretty quickly.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back