Is Kalk all it’s cracked up to be?

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, all this leads me to more questions. For those of you that are using a reactor, how is the reactor topped off? So you initially set it up, add the Kalk powder, fill the reactor, close it up. Now what? I assume the Kalk mixture is gravity dripped into your sump, but is fresh RO water constantly being supplied into the reactor? If this is the case, won't your Kalk mix get weaker and weaker over time? How often do you have to add powder to the reactor? I've never owned a Kalk reactor so I'm trying to see how thay are supposed to work (so I can DIY my own).

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so too and that is why I installed the ball valve in the intake line to reduce the flow. However, I have the intake valve open to 100% and the kalk just dribbles into the sump. You have to remember though, the way the TLF is designed it goes from 1/2" inlet and reduced to 3/16" with the sprinkler head to mixed the kalk and that reduced the flow significantly.

If you make your own kalk reactor I would say install a ball valve or reduce the inlet tube so you don’t get a huge surge of kalk to your system.
thanks that clears it up....!

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, all this leads me to more questions. For those of you that are using a reactor, how is the reactor topped off? So you initially set it up, add the Kalk powder, fill the reactor, close it up. Now what? I assume the Kalk mixture is gravity dripped into your sump, but is fresh RO water constantly being supplied into the reactor? If this is the case, won't your Kalk mix get weaker and weaker over time? How often do you have to add powder to the reactor? I've never owned a Kalk reactor so I'm trying to see how thay are supposed to work (so I can DIY my own).

I used my kalk reactor with my ATO. When the water level in the sump goes down that turns on the ato. The pump from the ato feed to the reactor which mixed up the kalk and then dribbles the mixed kalk water into the sump. When the level on the sump goes back to the normal level the ato shuts off and the reactor stops mixing the kalk.

usctrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curtie,
they kalk reactor is in line with the ATO and the ATO pump kicks on and pushed clean RO water into the reactor thus pushing out Kalk water. The reason a reactor is better is that the Kalk is not exposed to the air and thus stays more potent longer. Most have to replenish the Kalk every few weeks to month.

I have been pondering making a DIY Kalc reactor but after reading this thread I might just add some kalk to my ATO water and see how that does first.

Good info all!! I am subscribing to this one.

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go ahead and take a video later and show how everything works in action. I'm also going to take another reading of calc and alk to see if everthing stayed the name. I'm fighting a cold just took some nyquil so lets see how long before I pass out on the key board.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can also draw something up if its still unclear. Its almost hard to explain on here really, its so much easier to explain in person :)

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my kalk reactor with my ATO. When the water level in the sump goes down that turns on the ato. The pump from the ato feed to the reactor which mixed up the kalk and then dribbles the mixed kalk water into the sump. When the level on the sump goes back to the normal level the ato shuts off and the reactor stops mixing the kalk.

Curtie,
they kalk reactor is in line with the ATO and the ATO pump kicks on and pushed clean RO water into the reactor thus pushing out Kalk water. The reason a reactor is better is that the Kalk is not exposed to the air and thus stays more potent longer. Most have to replenish the Kalk every few weeks to month.

I have been pondering making a DIY Kalc reactor but after reading this thread I might just add some kalk to my ATO water and see how that does first.

Good info all!! I am subscribing to this one.

Ok, now I see. Thanks. As I explained earlier in the thread, I use a 5Gal Kent aquadoser, gravity dripping into the sump to keep the water level correct. Mounted in the Kent is a level probe. When the level of the Kent drops below 4" it turns on a pump that is in a 44Gal brute that I keep full of fresh RO. I was originally thinking that I would mix the kalk in the brute but now I'm thinking that it might be better to mix it in the Kent. Whenever the level probe calls for water, when the pump is filling it, it will mix up whatever is in there, just like how you guys describe the reactor working. So I guess as the Kent gets topped off and mixed, the fresh RO being added will become saturated after it sits for a while? And then all I will have to do is dump a few teaspoons of kalk powder in there every couple of weeks? (I'm sure I'll have to experiment with it)

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty much it. You really can't mess up as long as you don't add too much kalk for an accidental overdose if you setup fails. If you just add a little at a time so even if the setup dumped too much water then you don't have too much to worry about. The beauty of the reactor I bought is it's $65 new! If you already have a ATO it's such a simple and cheap setup. The video is uploading now and I'll post it soon to give you a better idea.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you gravity dose with that kent, I'm afraid that you'd be dripping in the kalkwasser powder along with the RO. You need to keep the kalkwasser on the bottom of the container, while the good clear water comes out and to the tank.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am sorry and must sound really dense, but I still don't see how in such a sort distance the kalk water goes from milk to clear.

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am sorry and must sound really dense, but I still don't see how in such a sort distance the kalk water goes from milk to clear.

I'n hoping this video shows you that I'm about to upload. However the reactor mixes at the bottom so only the clear liquid at the stop is forced out of the outlet and into the sump.

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you gravity dose with that kent, I'm afraid that you'd be dripping in the kalkwasser powder along with the RO. You need to keep the kalkwasser on the bottom of the container, while the good clear water comes out and to the tank.

I would think it would just settle to the bottom of the kent once the pump from the Brute shut off. I might get a little powder during and immediately after topping off the Kent. Just how bad is it to get a little kalk powder in the tank?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine to get a little in there, not going to hurt anything, but you def want to minimize. I'm going to take a pic of my containers that I used to use for manual dosing. They were absolutely perfect for dosing kalk.

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;0LAD3SKMbgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LAD3SKMbgg[/video]

Here's the quick and dirty video to help out.

On the left you have the sump to right right you have the reservoir. The reactor is mounted in the reservoir. When I move my hand I'm making the float valve kick on that triggers the ATO to turn on the maxijet. The maxijet pushes water to the reactor. The water comes out at the bottom of the inside in the reactor and with the water pressure it mixes the kalk powder at the bottom. The reactor eventually overflows and dribbles the mixture into the sump.

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to run down to the basement to verify...the outlet on the Kent sits about 1 to 1-1/2" off the bottom of the container which should keep any of the settled powder out of the tank. All I will have to worry about is while the Kent is filling.

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;0LAD3SKMbgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LAD3SKMbgg[/video]

Here's the quick and dirty video to help out.

On the left you have the sump to right right you have the reservoir. The reactor is mounted in the reservoir. When I move my hand I'm making the float valve kick on that triggers the ATO to turn on the maxijet. The maxijet pushes water to the reactor. The water comes out at the bottom of the inside in the reactor and with the water pressure it mixes the kalk powder at the bottom. The reactor eventually overflows and dribbles the mixture into the sump.

Great vid. Makes total sense. What is the water capacity of your reactor?

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to run down to the basement to verify...the outlet on the Kent sits about 1 to 1-1/2" off the bottom of the container which should keep any of the settled powder out of the tank. All I will have to worry about is while the Kent is filling.

I didn't realize that it was so close to the bottom. If some of the powder is pushed into the tank it could cause a huge PH spike and stress the corals out big time. Why not just ge the same reactor and use the same setup?

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great vid. Makes total sense. What is the water capacity of your reactor?

I knew someone would ask me that. I'm guessing about a gallon, it doesn't say it in the directions either. If you're good at math I can give you the measurements if you want to figure out the volume of a cylinder. I don't remember the formula.

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess because I want to see if kalk is right for me before I invest in the equipment. I'm curently running a Korallin calcium reactor but have not been completely convinced that it is keeping up with demand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess beacuse I want to see if kalk is right for me before I invest in the equipment. I'm curently running a Korallin calcium reactor but have not been completely convinced that it is keeping up with demand.

There are a bunch of people that use both. What you just said is a great reason to use kalk in addition to your calcium reactor. If it's not keeping up, supplement it with the kalk reactor!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back