OP
OP
Cottonmdalton

Cottonmdalton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do that? Just to avoid getting a net in the tank? Just drain the water during a water change pretty low. Get your net in there and catch them out. There's no reason to stress a lion, possibly get him off of frozen foods, and then stress him again.
I will update this post on what path I go. Thanks for all the tips and help

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
summary for readers

The only time we know if a set of uncycled rocks is cycled is by doing a digestion test which is specifically two tests, 24 hrs apart. Aside from early fish incompatibility there are bioloading/ammonia issues when placing fish in a reef tank that has not had a digestion test ran from the link provided earlier. The title is "is my tank cycled" and we have left that topic without summary, tank is not fully cycled since we have to guess on the side of caution. Nothing is known about its max bioload abilities, but it can be known easily.

The way to set up a new tank is to know its ammonia digestion abilities within a 24 hour period, then start by adding fish that do not contribute past that set point after researching compatibility among them. The current state of fish in the tank is certainly helping the initial cycle along until specifics can be known about where the cycle stands. Important takeaway is all cycles respond to the test, so no guessing is required, and we need to know what a tank can process before adding fish and especially before adding extra large ones. A key trial now based on the link will be how to do a digestion test with fish in the system, guessing is hard on fish and contributes to early fish loss.

Last edited:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan on keeping the lion just to get rid of the damsels . Then the lion can go as well
Just wanted to say, getting the lionfish out may be more trouble than getting the damsels out as Melpyr described.

The lionfish would get its spines tangled in the net, also have the venomous spines to avoid..

A fish trap would be another option to try to get the damsels out. You can make one out of a soda bottle. Just Google "diy fish trap", there are also commercially made traps as well.

Good luck!

Oh, if there will be a period of no fish after you remove the fish: be sure to keep adding an ammonia source to feed the bacteria, a pinch of fish food or a little straight ammonia even.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back