Is there enough oxygen in my tank?

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm soon getting two fish in and wanted to see if I have enough oxygen in my tank...I dont wanna add a clunky old air pump and tubing in my tank ruining the look. I currently have a hang on skimmer that looks to provide oxygen and a filter but not to much splash from filter to water...

Thoughts?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen is very very rarely an issue in salt water aquariums. The real issue is CO2 and the need for it to be effeciently outgassed.

If you have a hang on skimmer then you will be in as good as position as you can be for surface area for gas exchange. You do really need to know what the ambient (room) CO2 is so that you can understand what your gradient is. High room CO2 is going to cause more problems than just lowered PH. Animal s respire CO2 and if that CO2 is not quickly removed the creature is going to struggle breathing. This a real issue and needs to be dealt with.

Hopefully that gives you some insight in what you are up against.

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer will be fine to oxygenate the water, if you want to ensure higher levels of oxygen in your water then aim your powerheads to the surface of the water, obviously placing them lower to not have them blast water out of the tank, by the agitating of your water surface oxygen will be absorbed easier, the more still the surface of the water the less oxygen is absorbed.

Another point to take into consideration is the surface area of the tank, the larger it is the more surface area to enable oxygen absorption so a deeper tank will be less efficient at absorbing oxygen

Lastly if you do decide to agitate the surface more to increase oxygen absorbtion then you will inevitably experience higher evaporation rates and will need to top up with plain water to compensate.

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer will be fine to oxygenate the water, if you want to ensure higher levels of oxygen in your water then aim your powerheads to the surface of the water, obviously placing them lower to not have them blast water out of the tank, by the agitating of your water surface oxygen will be absorbed easier, the more still the surface of the water the less oxygen is absorbed.

Another point to take into consideration is the surface area of the tank, the larger it is the more surface area to enable oxygen absorption so a deeper tank will be less efficient at absorbing oxygen

Lastly if you do decide to agitate the surface more to increase oxygen absorbtion then you will inevitably experience higher evaporation rates and will need to top up with plain water to compensate.
thank you!! will for sure do that!

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen is very very rarely an issue in salt water aquariums. The real issue is CO2 and the need for it to be effeciently outgassed.

If you have a hang on skimmer then you will be in as good as position as you can be for surface area for gas exchange. You do really need to know what the ambient (room) CO2 is so that you can understand what your gradient is. High room CO2 is going to cause more problems than just lowered PH. Animal s respire CO2 and if that CO2 is not quickly removed the creature is going to struggle breathing. This a real issue and needs to be dealt with.

Hopefully that gives you some insight in what you are up against.
thank you!

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What would you recommend in a tall, deep tank with a small footprint?

I have a 4' x 4' x 6' tank.

Spray bar at top of tank to agitate water.
Closed loop filter, but do have a surface skimmer / overflow.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
700 gallon cube , post a photo , any large wave maker is fine , pointed at surface

Last edited:

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
700 gallon cube , post a photo , any large wave maker is fine , pointed at surface

Good point, here is it. Very deep. Small surface area, relative to water volume.

Protein skimmer in attic with sump.
Closed loop bead filter.
Surface skimmer
Bubble wand for micro-bubble scrubbing

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you!
There are a few ways to deal with the issue of CO2, if you can, open a couple windows in the room for at least 15 minutes a day. If this is not possible, you can run the air intake line for your skimmer outside so it is pulling fresh air into the tank. This will not help with the gas exchange of course, but overall, will help. Or you can get a CO2 scrubber to hook up to the skimmer.

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few ways to deal with the issue of CO2, if you can, open a couple windows in the room for at least 15 minutes a day. If this is not possible, you can run the air intake line for your skimmer outside so it is pulling fresh air into the tank. This will not help with the gas exchange of course, but overall, will help. Or you can get a CO2 scrubber to hook up to the skimmer.
Would you consider a vented attic fresh air?

Air from an HVAC system isn't considered fresh?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you consider a vented attic fresh air?

Air from an HVAC system isn't considered fresh?
Air rom the vented attic, maybe, but from AC unit, no. There is a system you can have installed on an AC unit to provide fresh air, but it is very expensive. I would just get a CO2 scrubber. They are not very expensive at all, and work very well.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back